Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #1

anyone know if you can tow a 94 Accord

with automatic transmission 4 down? I know you can a standard but not sure about the automatic..
Thanks,
Tim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2010, 11:05 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Tim,

There is some excellent information available at:

Dinghy Guide and Dinghy Towing
Or,
Towing four wheels down

I think you will find all you want at those links,

JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
JWT

Alpine Owners Club
I believe it's not a problem with the Honda automatics to tow 4 wheel down. My dad towed a Honda Accord auto. for years 4 down. Look in the owners manual. You can also call your local Honda dealer and ask the service manager.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:27 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
For many years Honda would send you a letter allowing you to tow automatic Honda's 4-down by following a specific procedure, for some models it was outlined in the Owners Manual. I've heard lately that they do not. If I understand correctly, the '94 Honda Accord with automatic transmission can be towed 4 down using the procedure.

Here's the procedure (found on another forum), Honda owners please correct me if I'm wrong:
Quote:
Honda's recommended procedure before towing an automatic has been to start the engine,shift from PARK to DRIVE, then to NEUTRAL, run the engine for 2-3 minutes, then shut off the engine and put the ignition switch to the ACCESSORY position. Avoid shifting to REVERSE during towing preparation, as this has been found to cause failures.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:20 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, most Honda front 2 wheel drive automatic vehicles can be towed 4 down. The reason you may not find this in your owners manual is because Honda never performed any testing to verify it would not damage the transmission. I have seen many different Honda cars being towed 4 down with no concerns from the owners. Honda did release a service bulletin back in '89 that it is ok to tow 4 down, but they never updated the bulletin for newer models. The only exception was the CRV up until a few years ago did state in the owners manual that is was ok to tow 4 down.
Luv2go's quote for towing was correct but a couple things missing. After 8 hours of towing or 300 miles it is recommended to stop and run the trans through all the gears to re-lubricate the transmission internal parts.
Most Important When shifting through the gears go from 1-2-3-N
If the vehicle is accidentally put into reverse then into neutral, reverse can drag which will cause a major transmission failure.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #6

I would sure appreciate communicating with someone directly that has flat towed an automatic Honda Civic, year models 2000 through 2005. I am looking to purchase a toad and find the selection very limited. Adding the Civic to the list would sure be an advantage. Thanks to anyone who can provide first hand information.
Dave Ross
daveross37@earthlink.net
Old 11-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check out this older post regarding 4 down Civic towing

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #8

Thanks,
I'm gonna check the Hondas out.
jdr37