Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
anyone pull a horse trailer?

Hi, tired of sleeping in the back of my truck I am in the process of buying a class C Chevy Mallard to pull my horse trailer. It is 25 foot and my trailer is 14 foot. After looking through some of the posts I'm worried that it might be hard to manuver it. Any horse campers in here with advice?

kilyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
While I am not a horse camper and can't give specific opinion on towing a horse trailer, I am interested in why towing a horse trailer would be different that towing a boat or a TOAD? Help me understand. By the way I pull either a boat or car with my 31SS with no problems. A little extra turn room always helps though.

2011 Jayco 31SS V10
2006 Ranger Reata 1850
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4-down
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #3
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How about another solution? Probably cost the same or less and less headaches.

Trade up the horse trailer to a gooseneck version that has human quarters in the nose of the trailer?

The equestrian manager at the state park I workamp at has one of those for shows. Pretty nice digs, fully equipped and you have the truck there for running around without the trailer.

2007 Adventurer 38T w/
sway & trac bars, Koni FSDs and SafeT+
2006 Jeep Liberty toad
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I horse camp regularly in my gooseneck horse trailer. Very comfortable, but not as nice as the RV. Its a 6 horse head-to-head model with a center ramp. I plan to buy a two horse bumper pull one to pull behind the RV so I can have NICE accomodations for when I don't need to haul 6 horses, or two and a buggy.
2002 National Dolphin LX 6356
Workhorse W-22 chassis
Don't believe everything you think.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
Smile pulling a horse trailer

[QUOTE=Gma-n-Gpa;1129540] I am interested in why towing a horse trailer would be different that towing a boat or a TOAD? Help me understand.

I have never driven an RV so I would not know if there is a difference between trailers, but I am sure there is a big difference in pulling my trailer with an RV as apposed to the truck that I have always pulled it with. I will be hauling live animals and not just a boat or a TOAD. I will be hauling off paved roads into rugged horse camps. I just do not want to purchase something that I will have a hard time with when I am trying to make things easier. I was just hoping for some advice, like turning radiuses, is backing it any harder, is a back up camera a must, will I be able to even see the trailer behind me? Does it do a number on the gas mileage? will wind shear be different behind an RV? Do they need leveled out to work??

I have camped with a friend in her LQ horse trailer and it was great but for me to go that route I would have to buy a bigger truck to tow it with. I thought with the RV we could also take trips without the horses and lend it out to family members. I also like the extra room the RV offers.

Thanks for the replys
Old 03-31-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
I don't tow a horse trailer I do tow a 20' car trailer loaded with a rear engine dragster trailer weight is 6 k I have a 23' coachmen mh we did have to beef up the rear frame for the toung weight but most of the time I don't know it is there good luck
85antique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
Off road could present some challenges as MH's usually have less ground clearance than say a F350 dually 4x4. and the 25 foot Mallard may only have a 350 - that could present a problem. As for turning radius MH's usually have wider turning that a SCREW 4X4 (my experience). Backing up is not much different than with a truck - rear cameras are typically pointed to the hitch and not much use for backing with the trailer. the side mirrors are what I use all the time - launching my Ranger for instance. Hope that helps
2011 Jayco 31SS V10
2006 Ranger Reata 1850
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4-down
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
Vintage RV Owners Club
As far as wind... the MH ought to drastically cut the wind for the horse trailer. Don't know how much weight shifting they do in transit...but I'd want a camera to watch to be sure they were ok.
Martha (AKA RVM45), Bob, and Bess the Border collie
22'Honey Sportscruiser on a 1988 Ford Econoline.
Sometimes towing a powered Parachute.
MartySQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
I pulled a 3 horse slant load with my 29' Coachmen V10, never had 3 in it though, pulled good went to upstate NY, NJ, PA, DEL etc. but as mentioned I had to watch for the trailer hitch drag. Jim
Jim/Lois 1999 Newmar Mountain Aire MACA3797 F53 - V10
Bel Air, Maryland 5 Star Tuning & Air Lift Bags
camperkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
Thanks for the replys everone. I feel we made the right decision with the motorhome and cant wait to load the horses up and try it out, I just have to have an electric brake installed and we will be on our way!
Old 04-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #11
I thought I researched this but I realize now I must have had my mind made up and didn't dig deep enough. Our 25' Mallard does have a 350 engine and now I am worried it wont be able to pull my trailer. The trailer is #2950 empty, add two 1000# horses, tack, hay and feed I'd be hauling around 5100#. I have not been able to find a place to get the MH weighed. Is there a chance it would work or should I just put it back on the market and look for something else?? I love the MH and hate to give it up!
Old 04-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #12
You'll be fine

If it doesn't have air bags get them. They will help getting in and out of funky spots. We've pulled our horse trailer fully loaded with everything all over the place. That's not much motor so just take it easy. Our rig with the horses hay and everything weigh #22,400. The easiest way to weigh it is to go to the local rock quarry, they will be very accurate. The brake controler is a must. You won't be able to tell how much it's braking so be careful not to toast the trailer brakes. Your rig is heavy so if you can feel them it's probably to much. Just be careful and have fun the RV is so much nicer than the gooseneck, we've had both and definately prefer the Class C.
Joe II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #13
I dont think the Mallard is rated for that kind of weight. Best check the GCVW and rated axle loads. And dont forget the hitch capacity. I have owned a few 350's and while greatly dependable they are not hnown to be the greatest torque generaters. Think its time to rethink your choice. Pulled 3 horse sundowner with a 6 ltr 3/4 4x4 many miles. Great combination. Dont think the 350 could have done it. I also remember the 350 in my service truck loaded at about 7 mpg. Compare that to The 6 ltr at 10 mpg pulling loaded (three horses 31'box/ 39' OAL Sndowner gooseneck). Food for thought. Good luck and happy trails.
greenbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #14
If the loaded horse trailer comes it at about 5100# you may be at the
max of the towing capacity of the MH.

If you end up having to make a change you might want to look at a
3/4 or 1 ton truck with a cab over camper to haul your horse trailer?

I had one on my F350 truck, camper was 10 ft and weighted in at
about 3000# loaded, I towed a open car trailer with a 3500# drag
race car on it so about 6500# total, got about 10 MPG towing.

Also keep in mind if you go this route if you go bigger than a 8 ft
camper on a 8 ft bed truck you need a hitch extension which will
run about $800 - $1000 for the special hitch and extension.

Add $500 for a set of airbags to handle the weight of the camper
for stability and another $400-$500 for the camper tie down system
all that before you get to the cost of a camper.

Sounds like alot of $$$, but that is what it takes to safely tow
using a truck and camper.

So just figure out what you need and go from there. The MH you
have now may be fine, you may need to get the frame hitch
reinforced by welding in bracing and add the airbags and you may
be fine for what you want to do.

Phil & Alberta Saran
2015 Thor Hurricane 34E with V10
2011 Dodge Dakota 4x4 towd
Philip.Saran is offline   Reply With Quote