Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:17 PM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You definitely need a 10K tow bar and make sure the cables that come with it are rated at 10K.

I like the Roadmaster products and always buy the same brand base plate as tow bar.

I use the Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 tow bar. Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

On a vehicle that big, I also believe you need a substantial braking system. I would buy the M&G or SMI system. I have the SMI system which works great on my 2012 Silverado 4 door.

Lastly, because of the intricate brake light systems and small wiring in new cars, coupled with the fact that many cars/trucks no longer illuminate the brake lights when the ignition is off, I like to install a second bulb in the taillight lens and run separate wiring harness the length of the toad and plug directly into the coach wiring.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2015, 03:59 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
You definitely need a 10K tow bar and make sure the cables that come with it are rated at 10K.

I like the Roadmaster products and always buy the same brand base plate as tow bar.

I use the Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 tow bar. Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

On a vehicle that big, I also believe you need a substantial braking system. I would buy the M&G or SMI system. I have the SMI system which works great on my 2012 Silverado 4 door.

Lastly, because of the intricate brake light systems and small wiring in new cars, coupled with the fact that many cars/trucks no longer illuminate the brake lights when the ignition is off, I like to install a second bulb in the taillight lens and run separate wiring harness the length of the toad and plug directly into the coach wiring.
Just in the "considering this" mode here, but can you explain to me why you "definitely need a 10K tow bar" when towing a 5000lb vehicle?

Old 07-20-2015, 04:25 PM   #17

Anyone pulling a 2015 Dodge RAM 1500?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas SteveH View Post
Just in the "considering this" mode here, but can you explain to me why you "definitely need a 10K tow bar" when towing a 5000lb vehicle?

The ram 1500 will easily exceed 5000lbs with fuel and a few things in the truck bed. Dry is about 4700

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:13 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
OK then, can you explain to me why you "definitely need a 10K tow bar" when towing a vehicle that easily exceeds 5000lb?

Not trying to be argumentative, but even if it goes to 6000lbs, it's till not 10,000. I understand safety margins, but is almost 100% safety margin actually required? Do the manufacturer of these tow bars not design these things with ANY safety margins? Are there any reports of tow bars failing at advertised loads?
Old 07-20-2015, 08:18 PM   #19

Anyone pulling a 2015 Dodge RAM 1500?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas SteveH View Post
OK then, can you explain to me why you "definitely need a 10K tow bar" when towing a vehicle that easily exceeds 5000lb?

Not trying to be argumentative, but even if it goes to 6000lbs, it's till not 10,000. I understand safety margins, but is almost 100% safety margin actually required? Do the manufacturer of these tow bars not design these things with ANY safety margins? Are there any reports of tow bars failing at advertised loads?

No. I can't.
It would need more than 5000 to be safe. A 10,000 bar is not much more.
You can do what works for you.
Happy Trails

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:42 PM   #20

We used a 5k bar initially, towing our 2014 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel. I found the bar would bind when trying to release it, which didn't happen with our previous vehicle. We upgraded to a 10k bar and no more binding issues. In our case I believe, loaded the vehicle weighs around 7k.
As CampDaven wrote, its only a few dollars more.
Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:04 AM   #21

If in an accident and the towbar is rated lower that the GWV of the towed vehicle... it's possible that a cunning, argumentative lawyer will take advantage of the situation regardless of the real causes. I have a 10k bar by the way.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:58 AM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Actually I wasn't suggesting a 5,000lb rated tow bar, ( not sure where y'all got that idea) but was thinking about one of the Ready Brute 8,000lb rated tow bars.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:13 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
I just found this thread as I am looking at buying a 2014 Ram 1500 to become my toad. The one I am looking at has air ride, do any of yours have this option? If one does, can it tow safely without damaging the bags?
Old 05-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
I see that there are several All Terrain. Ours is the Blackhawk2. The only complaint i have so far is that it is very stiff to maneuver when folding and unfolding.

Just curious about the RAM. Does it not have a locking steering wheel, since you are able to remove the key? On our F150 the key has to remain, turned off as far as it will go, with the tranny in N. This turns the ignition off but leaves the steering wheel unlocked. We are able to lock the doors with the key pad on the door.
No the steering doesn't lock, for towing, on the Ram.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:11 PM   #25

I took my 2014 RAM 1500 quad cab with air suspension for its first tow his afternoon. The ReadyBrute Elite tow bar worked flawlessly and everything went without incident. We will be taking a few hundred mile trip in the next two weeks and see how a longer trip goes. Based on today's trip I'm thinking all is okay.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-24-2016, 08:14 AM   #26

I realize this thread is 1 year old but thought I would toss out the question and ask if everyone is still happy towing the 1500?
We have been pulling a Jeep all the time and even though it is a fantastic toad it's just not as comfortable as we once felt it was plus we just don't use it off-road like we used to so we are thinking a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel might provide more comfort and room in the back for who knows what.
And thanks for all the info in the thread, very helpful.
We already use a 10,000lbd Blue ox towbar and have been using the Air Force One brake system in the Jeep so would do the same thing in the truck. And thanks to whoever mentioned the Blue Ox baseplate not bothering the front parking sensors, I was worried about that.
Dave & Diane, 2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH, Toad #1 2016 F150, Toad #2 2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:55 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDrider View Post
I realize this thread is 1 year old but thought I would toss out the question and ask if everyone is still happy towing the 1500?
We have been pulling a Jeep all the time and even though it is a fantastic toad it's just not as comfortable as we once felt it was plus we just don't use it off-road like we used to so we are thinking a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel might provide more comfort and room in the back for who knows what.
And thanks for all the info in the thread, very helpful.
We already use a 10,000lbd Blue ox towbar and have been using the Air Force One brake system in the Jeep so would do the same thing in the truck. And thanks to whoever mentioned the Blue Ox baseplate not bothering the front parking sensors, I was worried about that.
We've towed our Ram 1500 4x4 cross-country, both ways. The Ram replaced a 4WD Dakota pickup as well as many Jeeps and other 4WD's before that. I use the Demco baseplate. When I get a new toad, I read the install instructions of every available baseplate (BlueOx, Roadmaster, Demco) and make the choice based on issues ranging from install complications to how much cutting away important parts is required (none needed with the Demco). If you are wiring the brake/turn lights thru diodes, pay careful attention to the tailight/brake wiring.

By the way, the "ecodiesel" on the RAM 1500 is very different engine from the Cummins diesel of the RAM 2500-3500 trucks, which has a great 10+ year reputation. This Ram1500 diesel is new and I do not think it's a Cummins product.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:11 AM   #28

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
By the way, the "ecodiesel" on the RAM 1500 is very different engine from the Cummins diesel of the RAM 2500-3500 trucks, which has a great 10+ year reputation. This Ram1500 diesel is new and I do not think it's a Cummins product.
I read the EcoDiesel is a Fiat built engine, but don't remember where.

Tags
dodge