Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:20 PM   #1

Anyone pulling a 2015 Dodge RAM 1500?

Just purchased our RAM 1500 a few months before ordering our coach. If anyone is towing this truck, can you answer a few questions?
  • Does the key have remain in the ignition (on Run) while towing?
  • What kind of tow apparatus are you using?
  • What kind of braking system are you using?
  • If the key must be in the "On" position while towing, do you need to extend some power from the coach to keep the battery charged?

TIA!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2015, 12:36 AM   #2

We areola towing a 2014 RAM EcoDiesel 4X4

You didn't mention the configuration of your truck but assuming it is a 4X4 to answer your questions

1) keyless ignition in ours and no theignition is in the off position
2) we have a roadmaster base plate and recently changed tow bar to a blue ox 10k lb
3) roadmaster brake, air. We use the system that uses a pneumatic cylinder on the brake pedal
4) na

Steve

spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:15 AM   #3

Spinn,

We "will" be towing a 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 (Hemi, not EcoDiesel, but I doubt that matters). The most confusing issue regarding toads (to me) is the electrical hook up. Is there a "plug and play" harness out there that can be hooked into the electrical system, that addresses the brake and running lights, battery charging, etc.?? I've read so many posts about pulling fuses, drained batteries, harnesses with diodes or separate bulbs, and so on, that I'm not sure exactly what I need for my truck.

Thanks in advance for any help that you (or anyone else) can provide!
Old 05-08-2015, 12:25 PM   #4

We had an rev dealer near Denton TX put ours together. They installed a Roadmaster Diode kit for lighting. This allows the coach power to supply and control all lighting. Since we are using coach air over hydraulics to operate the the brakes in the RAM there is no electrical drain on the RAM. The RAM does not require the ignition to be on to unlock the wheel so the vehicle so no accessories are on while the RAM is being towed.
No fuses to pull, no dead (or discharged) battery, and a very easy setup. I would caution you to ensure your tow bar is rated for 10k lbs.

If you like I can get you the model numbers of the Roadmaster aux braking/breakaway system were have. Ours requires us to install the actuator every time we tow. There are others that can be permanently mounted.

Steve
Old 05-09-2015, 03:00 PM   #5

Towing a 2013 Ram 1500 4x4

Spinn,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm very happy to know that battery drain is not an issue, as the toad's ignition can be left in the off position.

I did some more research regarding the brake light electrical issue, and I came across this wiring kit:
Tow Bar Wiring by TrailerMate for 2013 Ram Pickup - TM781028

It plugs directly into the lights and harness at each taillight - - no cutting or splicing is required. I'll probably just order this setup and install it myself (it seems fairly simple).

As far as a braking system is concerned, I made up my mind a couple of years ago (yes, I've put this off that long) to invest in an M&G braking system. I like the idea of keeping all of the mechanicals under the hood of the toad, and that it's a true proportional system which uses the coach's air brakes.

I am, however, on the fence regarding which tow bar to buy. Right now, it's between a "Blue Ox Aventa LX", and a "RoadMaster Blackhawk 2 All Terrain" (both rated for 10000 lbs). Any thoughts regarding these, or any other brand that you could recommend?

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2015, 05:29 PM   #6

We have the roadmaster base plate and initially used the all terrain tow bar. We recently changed to the Blue Ox Aventa (bronze color) ad our roadmaster was binding quite a bit. The blue ox had been great. Blue ox has an adapter bar to use the tow bar with the roadmaster base plate. If I had it to do again i would probably go with the blue ox base plate as well as it seems to be easier to remove. It also appears to not interfere with the proximity sensors. The roadmaster while installed requires me to turn off the sensors.

Steve
Old 05-09-2015, 05:59 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
We have the roadmaster base plate and initially used the all terrain tow bar. We recently changed to the Blue Ox Aventa (bronze color) ad our roadmaster was binding quite a bit. The blue ox had been great. Blue ox has an adapter bar to use the tow bar with the roadmaster base plate. If I had it to do again i would probably go with the blue ox base plate as well as it seems to be easier to remove. It also appears to not interfere with the proximity sensors. The roadmaster while installed requires me to turn off the sensors.

Steve
Steve, were you using the Blackhawk2? Not familiar with the All Terrain. I wasn't sure how sharply I could turn with it, but I have slowly and carefully turned about as sharply as my MADP will turn, w/o any signs of binding. Just curious.

Flubberducky, if you end up with a Brake Buddy, RVI2, or other brake system that uses the toads power, you can add a small battery charger. I have the one made by RVI ($50) and it is powered from the 12V charging pole on the coach's 7-pin plug. It's a very easy problem to solve.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:46 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
2010 Ram 1500 4x4

I have been towing our Ram since 2011. The key is off and in my pocket after the neutral has been selected. I lock the doors so no one can tamper with anything in the truck. I first used a ready brake cable setup because I had it from my HHR. I was always concerned about the 5700 lbs that the ram weighs so this winter I put in an Air Force one. I can't believe the difference in braking. I have always used blue ox for the base plate and the tow bar, I replaced the Aventa with the new Arion or whatever they call it. My Aventa had a binding left bar so I bought the new version, 10,000 pounds, new cables etc.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:24 PM   #9

Scott binding was when were tried to release it. It may have been a flaw since new as it was always difficult to release. This new blue ox releases very nicely. It is the model they just release a few months ago.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:27 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
Scott binding was when were tried to release it. It may have been a flaw since new as it was always difficult to release. This new blue ox releases very nicely. It is the model they just release a few months ago.
I see that there are several All Terrain. Ours is the Blackhawk2. The only complaint i have so far is that it is very stiff to maneuver when folding and unfolding.

Just curious about the RAM. Does it not have a locking steering wheel, since you are able to remove the key? On our F150 the key has to remain, turned off as far as it will go, with the tranny in N. This turns the ignition off but leaves the steering wheel unlocked. We are able to lock the doors with the key pad on the door.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:13 AM   #11

The 2014 has push button (keyless) ignition.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:51 PM   #12

Thanks!!

Thanks, everyone, for all of the advise and information. It's great to be able to communicate directly with others who have already gone through the learning curve. I believe that I now have all the info I need to get the best setup for my motorhome & toad!

Thanks again!
Old 05-10-2015, 11:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubberducky View Post
Thanks, everyone, for all of the advise and information. It's great to be able to communicate directly with others who have already gone through the learning curve. I believe that I now have all the info I need to get the best setup for my motorhome & toad!

Thanks again!
Safe travels
Old 06-09-2015, 05:32 PM   #14

Has anyone tried the Demco baseplate with a RAM 1500?

Tags
dodge