Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2019, 10:15 AM   #1

Anyone Pulling a 4300# Toad With a V10 Class C?

I just purchased a new RV and I want to tow 4 down my 2013 Lincoln MKX. It is within the weight and hitch capabilities. Before I spend close to $5K having my MKX converted I want to make sure I won't have regrets and then have to buy a lighter toad. I love my X. I'd like to hear from anyone towing an MKX, Edge or other 4300# SUV with the V10. How bad will my mileage be hit and will I struggle badly in the mountains?

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2019, 11:13 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
I'm towing my Jeep Grand Cherokee, which I think weighs around 4800 lbs., with my new Coach House on Ford E450 platform with the Triton V-10. I feel totally comfortable towing, though unlike with my previous diesel pushers, I can't pretend I "don't even know it's back there." The V-10 revs high to get up the hills, and I haven't had it at high altitude yet, so I'm sure that will be a slow and noisy adventure. But I expected that when we made the decision to downsize, and have no regrets.

Assuming you want to tow something, I doubt that your MKX will feel significantly different than a lighter vehicle. As far as mileage goes, we get around 8-8.5 in normal (not mountain) driving, and I have a lead foot.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:21 AM   #3

Anyone Pulling a 4300# Toad With a V10 Class C?

I’m pulling a 2013 Edge with no issues. I believe it’s about the same weight. I’m pulling it with a 35ft class a with the v10. Mileage varies between 6.5-8 depending on right foot position.

I do suggest the 5 star tune makes a big difference. I also have headers, installed after I began towing the Edge. Not related to any towing issue. Have about 18.000 miles towing.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:23 PM   #4

I tow a Wrangler, which must be getting close to yours in weight, V10 28ft Class C.

I notice it's there when accelerating from a stop, but once rolling I forget about it.

I tried to see if there was any difference in MPG towing or not towing and couldn't really see any, I think wind/weather and roadspeed has more impact than having the Jeep on the back.

Steve
Old 03-20-2019, 06:34 PM   #5

We are flat towing a Ford Edge with our 31' Class C with the Ford E-450 V-10.
Haven't been out west to real mountains but had no problems this spring towing through West Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee but probably only reached 4500 feet elevation.
Our C is a 2009 and has the 5 speed tranny and yea, it kicked down into 3rd gear a few times but we were still passing semis.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:58 AM   #6

OK, I'm going ahead with it. I pick up my new Esteem 29V tomorrow. I am getting excited.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYeller View Post
OK, I'm going ahead with it. I pick up my new Esteem 29V tomorrow. I am getting excited.

You are going to LOVE your Esteem. We bought an Esteem 30X right before Christmas and immediately took it on a roadtrip from Texas to Florida and back with no issues. Great Quality. Drives Great! We are in the process of setting up a manual transmission toyota corolla to pull behind ours.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:04 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Again, while not a class C, we did tow a Wrangler Unlimited with an '07 class A powered by the V10. The jeep would have been about that weight (4500#). I had no complaints, it did a great job. It did get a bit loud pulling a grade at about 4500 RPM.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:53 AM   #9

I have towed my 2017 GMC Canyon about 4000 miles. i get around 9mpg with and 10mpg without towing. the truck itself with everything extra i have and gear in the bed its close to 6000lbs. my 2019 Thor Vegas RUV is rated for 8000 but has the e450 v10 triton. Without any upgrades on the MH, it was a pain to tow. The truck pushed my backend around turns, was hard to stay straight, etc. I installed rear sway bars, steering stabilizer, and sumo springs in the front. doesn't seem to be an issue anymore. Mostly towed it from portland to Southern cali/az. Havent hit colorado type mountains but like someone else said, its loud.. haha. Colorado is going to be interesting.
Dustydeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:23 PM   #10

2018 MKX 4 down TOAD with 2009 Fleetwood w/E-450 V-10

Quote:
I just purchased a new RV and I want to tow 4 down my 2013 Lincoln MKX. It is within the weight and hitch capabilities. Before I spend close to $5K having my MKX converted I want to make sure I won't have regrets and then have to buy a lighter toad. I love my X. I'd like to hear from anyone towing an MKX, Edge or other 4300# SUV with the V10. How bad will my mileage be hit and will I struggle badly in the mountains?
I just got back from my longest trip towing the MKX behind the 2009 30' long Fleetwood. My fuel mileage from San Antonio Tx to Birmingham Al fell between 6.4 and 6.7 mpg (Not exactly good). On the return trip the mileage went up to 7.4 mpg, but that might have something to do with having to put in a rebuilt motor in Birmingham when the original (with only 26K miles on it) blew the main bearings and trashed the engine

I've got the Roadmaster system: Roadmaster 576 All Terrain TowBar, Roadmaster 8700 Invisibrake Hidden Power Braking System (under the drivers seat), and Roadmaster 5244474 Mounting Bracket. I installed everything myself including wiring the lights.

After my first short trip to Shreveport and back I experienced the Lincoln electrical shut down just as I parked in the driveway!! (according to what I've read, I just barely avoided a major transmission problem due to the Neutral Tow being shut off). After that I wired a 12 volt line with a diode and circuit breaker from the coach to the car battery, put a blue tooth battery monitor in the car and now I can keep track of the charge and discharge on my phone as we go down the road. I also wired an 8amp battery tender in the engine compartment to top off the battery when we're over-nighting at a campground.

Having the MKX was a gift from God when the RV died. We were on our way to Lancaster Ohio on the 4th day of a 2 week trip. Left the RV at a Ford dealership in south Birmingham and completed the trip in the MKX. We returned to Birmingham 6 days later and picked up our money pit.

The only problem I've had with the towing is the occasional need to backup even just a few feet. I learned quickly that I can do it if the wife gets into the MKX, starts the engine, and keeps the steering wheel centered, otherwise the wheels will caster to their limits in short order, and I'm only talking about moving back about 4 feet.

Hope this helps if you haven't already bit the bullet.
SJenkinsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:38 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
We tow a 2019 GMC Canyon (curb weight about 4200 lbs) with our 30ft class C. While I am aware it is back there, I have not experienced any major issues. We get about 7.5 mpg average.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:43 AM   #12

Just to close this, I decided not to tow my MKX. The cost of conversion was about $5,000! I managed to buy a 2007 New Beetle stick shift and have it converted for almost the same money. I’m glad my nice car doesn’t have to suffer the indignity of being towed behind the RV. Bob the bug tows great and so far has been a great vehicle.

Old 12-24-2019, 09:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Just to close this, I decided not to tow my MKX. The cost of conversion was about $5,000! I managed to buy a 2007 New Beetle stick shift and have it converted for almost the same money. I’m glad my nice car doesn’t have to suffer the indignity of being towed behind the RV. Bob the bug tows great and so far has been a great vehicle.
I was going to comment about the $5,000. If you have a local auto mechanic do it with your mail order parts it would be about $1,500 for your first one ( with tow bar) and under $1,000 for later vehicles as you reuse the tow bar. I use Demco baseplates and tow bar, etrailer wiring kit.

RV and auto dealerships wanted over $2,000. But never heard of $5,000.

I tow a Cherokee ~4100 pounds, first with an E450 Class C and now a F53 (both V10s but the F53 Class A a little more powerful due to three valves per cylinder). Drive all over Rocky Mountain passes. No issues. 8 mpg w Class C and 7.5 w new Class A.

The V10 likes high rpm and can get a little noisy when hauling the serious passes but holds speed I want to go both up and down.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 10:39 AM   #14

The $5K quote was for a Roadmaster setup including the tow bar, baseplate, wiring, and a permanently mounted brake system ( I don't remember the brand) all along with installation of such. Parts, if I recall correctly, were over $3K.

I am very pleased with my decision to not tow my beautiful Lincoln. I was able to buy the Beetle and set it up for about the same money, $6K. I went with a Brake Buddy to save a bit on cost. So far, Bob the Bug has been an excellent toad. Setup only takes minutes and there is no complicated procedure to enable him to be towed. He weighs about 1,000 pounds less than my MKX and he tracks beautifully behind my Entegra. So far I have towed about 3,500 miles with virtually no problems. I also enjoy driving a stick shift again. I still have my MKX when I am home and want a little luxury in my life.

I am about to embark on an 8,000 mile excursion cross country and back over the next 5 months. I think I have a great setup for that.

Tags
class c, toad, v10