Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2016, 05:28 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Anyone stuffed a tow dolly in the basement of your rig?

Hey all,

We are snowboarding in Florida this winter. Our toad (pulled on a dolly) died on us and we picked up a Jeep Wrangler as a replacement. Going to 4-down tow. Tow bar and braking system purchased and installing everything next week.
Since Florida (and 2 other states we go through) do not allow triple tow, I am planning to disassemble our Tow Master dolly and stuff it in the basement of our 42' class A.
Tight, but it will fit along with our usual stuff.
Anyone ever done this?
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2016, 07:29 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'm sure folks have put bigger, bulkier items in storage bins, if it fits and doesn't overload them, go for it. I know your jeep can be towed 4 down, but what about dropping the rear drive axle and towing it on the dolly to get it home?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:10 PM   #3

Triple tow where you can and drive the Jeep where you can't.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:59 PM   #4

Sell the dolly, or put the Jeep on it. I couldn't imagine taking my dolly apart and stuffing it in the basement. That's a lot of large, heavy, awkward parts to have to handle.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:13 PM   #5

If you decide to tow the dolly put some load on it. I would suggest sand bags as they are probably cheapest.

The reason is they bounce all over unloaded. BTDT. Some are spec'd with a 100 mile limit unloaded.

Good luck if you pull it apart. Should not be too bad but the axle will be a PITA to pack. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:17 PM   #6

I towed my dolly a few hundred miles empty by lowering the tire pressure to 25 psi. No bouncing around.

I also used the straps to keep the turntable from moving.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:32 PM   #7

I'm with those who suggest putting the Jeep on the dolly and towing it that way. I'm thinking that's what you did with the previous toad so you're already set up. I would also guess that if the Jeep can be towed 4 down there shouldn't be any problem towing it 2 down. I would check with someone who knows for certain though. That seems a lot easier and simpler to me.

Just my 2c.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:44 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
I'm with those who suggest putting the Jeep on the dolly and towing it that way. I'm thinking that's what you did with the previous toad so you're already set up. I would also guess that if the Jeep can be towed 4 down there shouldn't be any problem towing it 2 down. I would check with someone who knows for certain though. That seems a lot easier and simpler to me.

Just my 2c.

Steve
A 4 wheel drive Jeep has to have the axle to the rear wheels disconnected. If the rear wheels are turning, the front wheels must turn too, unless the axle is dropped.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:32 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yup. Appears the OP is aware the jeep can't be put on a tow dolly straight up. I would just try to sell the tow dolly rather than fool with it.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
A 4 wheel drive Jeep has to have the axle to the rear wheels disconnected. If the rear wheels are turning, the front wheels must turn too, unless the axle is dropped.
I think that would be driveshaft to me. Interesting, must be the way full time 4WD works. Towing with two down would damage the mechanism that allows slippage between the front and rear wheels.

With our Tracker I would just put the transfer case in neutral and proceed. Actually, I would just shift the driveshaft disconnect and proceed, but either would work and I usually do both just in case. I've now learned that Jeeps are different animals.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Selling the tow dolly makes sense to me too, especially if full timing and it won't be needed for anything else.

Best of luck.

Steve
Old 02-27-2016, 04:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarkid View Post
...We are snowboarding in Florida this winter...
I'm curious about snowboarding in FL. How's the snow been this year?
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:49 AM   #12

Carolina Campers
Anyone stuffed a tow dolly in the basement of your rig?

When I went 4 down, I sold my dolly to the guy that I had install my base plate.... Actually, I asked what he thought he could sell it for, then I took off enough for him to make a good profit, and said, if you give me that much you can sell it and keep the difference... It was worth it to me to have it done with... I don't need one now, and if I need one in the future, they are easy to pick up... It was not worth the hassle to keep it if I don't plan on using it...
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:55 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Well, the snowboarding here sucks. No hills and the water is too soft to float on. Where's the snow???? Good catch, LeeOt.

No, the Jeep cannot be towed 2-up on the dolly without pulling the drive shaft. We still have stops along the way and places to go/see. Would be a pain to pull/replace along the way.

10-15lbs air in dolly tires to tow empty, according many manufacturers recommendations. If it's empty, is it really a triple-tow?

1200 miles and half of that through non-triple states. The whole idea is to be together while we travel, not in 2 vehicles. Still an option.

Selling the dolly isn't really an option. Our son has an Rv, too and can/will use the dolly. It has also proven handy in helping out friends with car trouble back at home base. We will get it home with us. As I said, it will fit, if taken apart. Yes, it's total weight is about 450lbs.

Appreciate all the thoughts/comments. Still have about a week to figure it all out before we hit the road.
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:25 AM   #14

Could you call the states that don't allow triple tow and ask if you could get a permit or something?

You could probably install a disconnect or hubs, but that would be expensive. Is there an easy way to disengage the front wheels from the front driveshafts? I remember some older Jeep vehicles had a part that bolted on the outside of the hub and also splined onto the front axles to make that connection. I'm thinking of towing front down here with the rear wheels on the dolly.

I for one totally understand why you don't want to remove/install the driveshaft several times. I've been faced with that several times and chose another more expensive option.

The original plan is looking better all the time.

Best of luck.

Steve

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly