Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:02 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Anyone Tow a Fiat 500?

i moved to florida and got rid of my gas sucking jeep traded it even up with money back from the dealer on a new fiat 500c, was told that i need to leave the key on whial towing the car behind the motor home. so i have towed the car twice with the key on and after towing the check engine light comes on. i have to keep taking it back to dealer for it to be reset, nothing comes up on their computer as to why it is on. was wondering as i have herd that i can tow my fiat with out the key on as there is no steering wheel lock, only reason to have key on is for the 12volt power port for the break control. i can run a line from the battery to power the break controller if i can tow with out the key on. anyone out there can help me figure this out?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2014, 12:56 AM   #2
VP

I tow a 2013 Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1405144436.443930.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	722.8 KB
ID:	67599manual transmission Fiat 500 Pop. I do not have a supplemental braking system since my state does not require one due to the low weight of the vehicle. My DP doesn't even know or care it is back there. I do not turn the key on. The car does not accumulate mileage while because of this. Simply place the transmission in neutral and go! I do have both a rear view camera and all wheel TPMS. This car is fully factory approved for four down flat towing which is called recreational towing in the owners manual.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP View Post
I tow a 2013 Attachment 67599manual transmission Fiat 500 Pop. I do not have a supplemental braking system since my state does not require one due to the low weight of the vehicle. My DP doesn't even know or care it is back there. I do not turn the key on. The car does not accumulate mileage while because of this. Simply place the transmission in neutral and go! I do have both a rear view camera and all wheel TPMS. This car is fully factory approved for four down flat towing which is called recreational towing in the owners manual.
Hi VP,

You said you don't use a breaking system because your state does not requires one but do you travel to other states?
We are trying to do a trip around the country and bought a Fiat 500 2013, installed the Blue Ox base plate but that's it and we have been looking for the towbar and breaking system as I read that if you go to other states and something happen you may get in trouble for not having the breaking system. Any imput about it? Thanks!
Old 01-03-2017, 03:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP View Post
I tow a 2013 Attachment 67599manual transmission Fiat 500 Pop. I do not have a supplemental braking system since my state does not require one due to the low weight of the vehicle.
Lets say you are correct on the laws where you tow,

What if the tow bar breaks an it becomes a 1 ton missile?
What if a little child runs out in front of you and stopping shorter by 2 feet means they live rather than die? I know I could never sleep again if these scenarios played out without a supplemental brake because it would be my fault for assuming it will be okay when I did not understand the physic of towed braking and how quickly things can/will go wrong.

Please, please get a supplemental brake before you tow again. Our lives could depend on it.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:03 AM   #5
VP

After my 2014 post above and primarily for the Break-Away feature, we added a Roadmaster 9160 Brakemaster system (currently on Amazon for $617.90). The Fiat's 2,300 pound weight makes it legal to go without Supplemental Braking in ALL but 5 states & 3 Provinces. However, Break-Away braking is required in all of them (even with the extra set of safety cables I'd added). So to be legal everywhere, the choice was easy. By the way, if you actually look at the physics you will see that a small increase in Mass (Weight) has little to no effect on the stopping distance. However, the effect of Velocity (Speed) is huge and that's why many states restrict speeds for vehicles that are towing to 55 mph. In say California, if your perfectly capable 40K pound air-disk brake equipped diesel pusher bus is pulling a 2K pound toad AND you are traveling at 65 mph - you are breaking the law!

We are still very happy with the simplicity and ease of flat towing the manual transmission Fiat 500 Pop.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:51 PM   #6

We make quite a few Tow Car Shields for the Fiats and don't here anyone complaining about the ride. I can't even make fun of the Italians, here, since these cars are made in Mexico.:dance

Mitch Schliebs
RVandOffRoad.com

Tags
tow