Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #15

We just got another class a and it has falcon tow bar and brackets that were left with it, I am going to order vehicle mount and was looking to see if other than put t case in neutral does anything else need to be done, any trans pump? or?? I have magnetic lights to use for the moment till hard wire and use brake actuator that came w/rv.
Thanx Greg

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Missy, you didn't say what you will be towing the Envoy with, check the tow weight rating for your RV, the Envoy isn't exactly a lightweight. If I remember correctly according to Motorhome Magazine's towing guide, the Envoy is right around 5000lbs which if you have a gas RV will either put it right at the upper limit without stowing anything inside the Envoy (hard to resist) or may even already be over the limit depending on what engine and transmission you have. Good luck!

Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #17

Sorry , 2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U Workhorse, w22, 8.1 engine, Allison 5spd.
Greg
Old 08-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverfever View Post
we have the trailblazer version. works good just read your owners manual as you need to pull two fuses or you will have a dead battery.
I tow a 02 Trailblazer and do not pull any fuses. Maybe they changed something. Owners manual does not reference pulling any fuses. I have no issues towing. Transfer case in neutral and good to go.
I did have a problem a year ago that I could not engage the transfer case into neutral. It was a stuck solenoid.
I would think the Envoy is the same since they share the same drive train.
Look at the manual or consult with www.trailvoy.com, a great resource.
Oh, and don't forget to release the emergency brake or you will burn up the brake, don't ask me how I know!
Old 08-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #19

Thanx for the replies, Envoy weight is about 4400, Pulling with 02 Itasca Suncruiser W22 Allison 5SP. 5000lb tow and 500lb tw. I am trying to figure out why pull the fuse, if key is out and parked or moving there is no need fro any power. I am going the check wiring diagram to see what they are for. Due to the short notice for us the use the envoy and get the mounts for it in time, we are going to tow our 91 Jeep Wrangler as we have before. We are bringing my mother in law with for the first time and were concerned she would not be able to get in and out of Jeep. Trial run with step stool went good. This give me more time to get needed parts with less cost. Lets me sort out what we got with the coach.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by plot4 View Post
SuperDad,
You can find all the info needed to match up to your Envoy on Roadmasterinc.com.
We used the XL type on ours. WE also used the Roadmaster Brakemaster 9160 braking system. I hookup the tow bar while the wife hooks up the brake system. Takes about 5 to 7 mimuets. Good luck and enjoy.

plot4
Can I pull a 2wd Envoy behind a class A.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #21

Can I pull a 2 wheel drive 2003 Envoy behind a class A
Old 09-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #22

S.Graham

Can I pull a 2 wheel drive 2003 Envoy behind a class A
Old 09-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #23

I don't think so

The 4 wheel drive version is towable because of its' ability to have the transfer case placed into neutral -- That eliminates the transmission spinning as the vehicle is moving

Any 2 wheel drive being towed 4 wheels down in neutral would still turn the transmission through the rear wheels -- This would end up burning up the transmission -- Definitely not a good thing!

The Envoy Owners Manual should give you a definite answer to your question
Old 07-10-2014, 12:45 AM   #24

Anyone know if a 2002 Envoy can be dolly towed with the transfer case in neutral?
Old 07-10-2014, 06:11 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdutyRV View Post
Anyone know if a 2002 Envoy can be dolly towed with the transfer case in neutral?

I tow an '03 4x4 Envoy 4 down. No issues.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:48 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I tow an '03 4x4 Envoy 4 down. No issues.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Thanks. I know it can be towed 4 down. Mine also has a Snoway Plow and I was told the plow frame would interfere with attaching a tow bar so I need to tow it using a car dolly. The owners manual says the Envoy is not designed to be "dolly towed" so I'm for any info on why this is and if anyone has tried. It must have something to do with the transfer case and how it operates when in neutral. Can anyone send me photos of their tow bar attach points so I can compare with my plow frame and see if it might interfere?
Old 07-10-2014, 09:28 AM   #27

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
2006 Envoy

We tow a 2006 Envoy 4 wheel drive with blue ox. The plow frame will
need to be removed. Our plow is on our other pickup.
diva51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva51 View Post
We tow a 2006 Envoy 4 wheel drive with blue ox. The plow frame will
need to be removed. Our plow is on our other pickup.
Thanks but removing the plow frame is not an option. That's why I'm trying to find out if it can be towed on a dolly. I found two used dollies locally but I won't buy one until I know for sure they will work with the Envoy.