Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:22 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
We just got back to Calif. from a trip to Tennessee and our HHR was awesome. Didn't know it was there. I have the SMI brake system and Blue Ox. I had a 6 inch drop but found a 4 inch works well and it does not bottom out going in and out of driveways. I used diodes for my lights and you can really see the lights working at night.

I like the idea about the key I am going to get one and put it on a key fob that I and my wife will remember NOT to try and start it.

I also tie a WHITE cloth on the center of the steering wheel so I can see the wheel turn in the camera....

Oh by the way NOT ONE NICK OR CHIP either and we when over 4000 miles..... I do NOT have a big mud flap just the stock ones behind the duels...

LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2007, 02:45 AM   #16

I have just one question about Your HHR is it truely a 2003? I have a early 2006 and thought I had the first year built..Just kidding with You glad You think the key idea is a good idea and yes to diodes for the lights saves back feed.I had My car in tow for many miles and no batt.drain or problems at all..Bushman

Old 07-24-2007, 04:33 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bushman512003:
I have just one question about Your HHR is it truely a 2003? I have a early 2006 and thought I had the first year built..Just kidding with You glad You think the key idea is a good idea and yes to diodes for the lights saves back feed.I had My car in tow for many miles and no batt.drain or problems at all..Bushman </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Busted me ha ha ha Actually mine is a proto type ha ha ha nah I made a typo and your the first one to catch it....
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:56 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Don, Congrats on the new toad. Do you know what the ground clearance is? Manual or automatic?

You've got us thinking about the HHR now. We've been comparing the Honda CR-V, Saturn Vue, and Ford Escape, but now we've added the HHR to the list. We want a vehicle that will take us down the dirt road to the river.

We appreciate the advice you gave us in April when we were deciding on a motorhome.
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:07 PM   #19

Hi Rick,

The HHR is not exactly an off-road vehicle. It's a 2WD (FWD) car built on the Chevy Cobalt frame. I measured the ground clearance, and it's about 8".

What we like about it is that it's a 4cyl car with good mileage (23 mpg city/30 hwy) and it sits up high. We had a Saturn SW2 and you had to climb 'down' into this car to get in. The HHR ingress is very easy, with high seats.

The car is towable 4-down, and the rear seats fold flat for our 2 Golden Retrievers. Not to mention it looks 'cool' and is reasonably priced.

This car is not an 'off-road' vehicle, but will do everything we want to do. For us, at this time, it's an ideal toad.

Note: I also drive a Ford Explorer 4WD, but want a TOAD at/under 3K lps to tow. The HHR fits the bill, and is the DW's daily driver. She loves it.

The HHR is towable with an automatic tranny (which is what we have).
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:40 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, the HHR is cool looking and we're going to drive one before we make our decision. The other top contender is the Honda CR-V. I think they will be really different in comparison.

We don't need a 4wd for rough off-road, (done with almost getting stuck in the sand), just a little more clearance for the dirt, gravel, and ruts. I also like the amount of storage in the HHR with the back seats down.
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:12 PM   #21

We had our first experience towning the HHR this past weekend. The car towed great! Didn't know it was there.

When I hooked up the wiring for the lights, I used diodes for all connections. When the brake lights are activated from the motorhome circuit, only the 2 tail-lights activate (not the center-mount stop light).

I have an Even-brake system, which generally uses a brake light relay to allow the turn signals to work when the brake light are activated. In the HHR, Chevy states to remove fuse #8 which turns off the ignition system when in the 'tow' position for the ignition. In this configuration, the l/r brake lights do not activate, only the center mounted stop light when the HHR brake pedal is depressed. I hooked up a fuse switch to turn off fuse circuit #8 when towing so as to not run down the battery.

The benefit of this setup allowed me to not use the brake light relay. I did, however, need to run a line from the 'cold' side of the brake switch (light blue wire) to the Even Brake controller in the toad, which signals the system to the coach that the brakes are released when activated. Even Roadmaster still states you need the brake switch relay, but when pulling fuse#8, it is not necessary.

The advantage of this setup is that when the Even Brake applies brake pressure to the toad, the center mount stop light activiates, but not the l/r stop lights. The motorhome brake signal activates the l/r stop lights. This way I can verify that the Even brake is working correctly by looking at the center mount stop light, to verify it is not mispositioned and applying brake pressure when not intended (by visually checking from the back of the toad during the test sequence).

All systems go. Tows like a dream.

P.S. Got a lot of compliments on my 'cool ride' this past weekend.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:39 PM   #22

Mid Atlantic Campers
We to are looking to update our toad, we have a nice 99 Chevy tracker 2400 lbs... Nice ! I thought a Honda Element would do the trick but I have found out the 07 is not 4 down towable. I wonder if I could live with an HHR? No 4x4 huh? I see some great deals on them now.

Hey Don, I like to run the roadmaster seperate wiring system to isolated bulbs, no worries mate.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:59 AM   #23

Steve,

Other than no 4WD it is a great toad! Plenty of room in the back for the 2 critters, and tows great!

One caution on the isolated bulbs -- not a lot of room in the rear light compartment for a second set of bulbs.

And yes, there's some great deals out there on them. Be sure to get the 2.4L 172hp engine, as I would guess the other one is a bit anemic. Weighs about 3K lbs.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:20 PM   #24

Mid Atlantic Campers
I'm looking at the 1LT model which comes with the 2.4L engine. I guess after this winter a 4x4 will no longer be an issue for us

Old 08-30-2007, 09:32 PM   #25

Mid Atlantic Campers
I will buy a 1LT 2.4L auto HHR tomorrow, now see what you knuckleheads made me do Will pick it up Tues after Holiday, where is the best price for Roadmaster Baseplates ?

Ground clerance is 6.3 inchs.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:13 PM   #26

Steve, Congrats on the HHR! You'll love it!

Reread this post for all the suggestions to make it towable. Fuse switch for fuse #8.

I purchased my tow plate (Blue Ox) from RVUpgrades.com.

PM me if you need any more info.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:16 AM   #27

Mid Atlantic Campers
Since I have a Roadmaster tow bar, I checked RV Upgrades for base plates. It seems they only carry Blue Ox product. I don't want to use adapters at this point. I am looking at a tow bra that covers the entire front end including the windshield, have you seen anything better to save the front end ?