Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:08 AM   #1

We are considering a Chevy HHR for our new toad. Will get the 2.4 engine w/ auto. It's rated to tow 4-down.

Anyone have any comments on towing this car? How is the situation relative to the battery wearing down while towing? Anything special you need to tow it? What's the routine to make it 'tow-ready' each trip? Any issues mounting your towbar plate (I'm considering a Blue Ox)? Any issues wiring it for towing?

We will use our Even Brake in this toad, as we do in our Saturn.

Any and all comments are appreciated on how you like this car as a toad.

Our Saturn wagon is a dream to tow; no concerns on the battery running down while towing, etc. I just don't like driving this car (too low to the ground). Would like to know what we will be up against with the HHR.

Thanx in advance.

Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2007, 11:08 AM   #2

We are considering a Chevy HHR for our new toad. Will get the 2.4 engine w/ auto. It's rated to tow 4-down.

Anyone have any comments on towing this car? How is the situation relative to the battery wearing down while towing? Anything special you need to tow it? What's the routine to make it 'tow-ready' each trip? Any issues mounting your towbar plate (I'm considering a Blue Ox)? Any issues wiring it for towing?

We will use our Even Brake in this toad, as we do in our Saturn.

Any and all comments are appreciated on how you like this car as a toad.

Our Saturn wagon is a dream to tow; no concerns on the battery running down while towing, etc. I just don't like driving this car (too low to the ground). Would like to know what we will be up against with the HHR.

Thanx in advance.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:15 PM   #3

Don & Mary,
I have towed a HHR for over 8,000 miles without any problems. I installed the Roadmaster baseplates and use their tow bar. I installed a fuse switch so I don't have to pull the fuse that shuts off clock. Put the key to "accessory" position, put in neutral, release parking brake and switch fuse to towing or off position. That is it and it is ready to tow. I hooked up the lights using diodes and have had no problems. All installations were pretty straightforward & Roadmaster was great to work with. The car is light & I would not know it was there except for the rear camera. I have had no clearance issues. I do use a 6" drop receiver to level the towbar with my coach.
We love the car as a toad. Lot of style & lots of storage space. We have 2.4L engine. It cruises along great & gets 30 mpg.

Hope this answers your questions...........
Steve
Country Coach
Old 06-19-2007, 06:39 PM   #4

Steve,

Thanks for your thorough answer. Did you consider a Toad Charge device to keep the battery up in lieu of the fuse switch?

Thanx again.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:15 AM   #5

Steve,

One more question: did you make the fuse switch yourself or buy one? Where to buy?

Thanx.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:40 PM   #6

I did not consider a toad charge as the fuse switch seemed like a simple solution and it has worked flawlessly. You could make your own, but I purchased mine from www.rv-partsplus.com They got my order right out. Don't forget to get one for a mini fuse. At the web site go to accessories and look for the fuse switch.

Hope this helps..............Steve
Old 07-01-2007, 05:08 AM   #7

Well, I went and purchase a 2007 Chevy HHR as our new toad. 30mpg hwy, about 3K pounds, auto tranny. I really like the HHR for its space in the back for our 2 goldens, and how you sit up high in the seat. Motorhome magazine qualifies it (along with Chevy) for towing 4-down and has no speed/distance limitations.

We currently tow a '01 Saturn SW2 wagon
(now for sale!), but this car is too small and too low to the ground for us.

I pick it up next week and the will start the process of getting the Blue Ox baseplate and tow wiring installed -- along with moving some of the equipment from our Even-braking system.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:41 AM   #8

Don & Mary,
Congrats on the new tow vehicle. I'm sure you'll like it. Motorhome magazine did not show a speed restriction, but my owners manual did. My manual says to not tow over 65, which is fine by me. You might just want to take a close look at the owners manual.

Hope this helps...........
Steve
Country Coach
Old 07-01-2007, 04:39 PM   #9

Steve, thanks for your help. I expect we'll get it set up for towing in about 2 weeks. I'll be sure to thoroughly read the owner's manual.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:07 PM   #10

Got the HHR set up for towing today. Took about 2 hours to install the tow bar (Blue Ox) and another 2.5 hrs to do the wiring.

The directions stated we needed to trim the front fascia before reinstalling as it would interfere with the face plate. Nope. Didn't have to trim it at all. Too bad we figured this out after trimming it before reinstalling it.

Haven't pulled it behind the MH as of yet. Will let you know how it tows.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:57 AM   #11

I also have 8,000 miles under the HHR with a Blue Ox.I made My own switch set up I have a tip for You go get new key cut but not chiped for the car can not be started with it but can be unlocked for towing I then use the key fob to lock the doors....Just My way and it works fine My HHR has 172HP and also no trimming with Blue Ox..Bushman
Old 07-21-2007, 07:27 AM   #12

Bushman,

Great suggestion on the key. I have always worried about leaving the key in the car while towing, being stopped for some reason or another.

P.S. The chipped keys cost about $35. I bet I can get an unchipped key for about $2.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:19 AM   #13

Don just do not try to start the car as the key will tell the computer it is not a chipped key and after 3 trys will shut down the computer and You will have to reboot the system at a G.M. Dealer..John
Old 07-23-2007, 04:14 PM   #14

Have the towbar and wiring set on the HHR. So now for the brake system. I have a Roadmaster Even Brake. On the Saturn (our prior toad) it used a brake switch relay to shut off the brake lights from the car system when the Even Brake actuates. The reason for this is that it would not allow the turn signals (with braking) work on the TOAD when getting its signals from the coach.

Called Roadmaster today to verify if I needed this brake relay switch in the HHR. At first they said 'yes', but I described an experiment I conducted to verify if I needed the relay on the brake line or not. I pulled fuse #8 as described in the owner's manual, with the key in the 'tow' position (2nd position) and the brake lights did not illuminate, other than the high-mounted center stop light. L/R brake lights did not illuminate.

Eureka!! The HHR does not require the brake light relay as supplied by Roadmaster for the Even Brake when fuse #8 is deactivated. I was actually thanked by the technican, as they were in the process of installing an Even Brake on a HHR as I spoke to them. He asked me specifically what fuse # to pull, and I just made his job easier!

No brake light relay required on the HHR when you pull fuse #8 as specified in the owner's manual for towing (to not run down the battery).

Note: The center mount high-stop light will actuate with the Even Brake actuation only. Not a problem.