Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2016, 09:11 AM   #1

Anyone Tow Ford Ranger Stick Shift Mid 90's

I have a 96 Tracker right now and it is a great TOAD. But I need a Pick-up in my personal life. So I am going to sell the Tracker and "Maybe" buy a middle 90's Ford Ranger to TOAD.....

Anyone tow one?

I have read the manuals and they say a STICK is tow able, I hope this is true.

Thanks LeeB
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2016, 02:49 PM   #2

I tow 1997 Ranger standard cab 4 Cyl. 4 Down. 222000 Miles on Odo. It does not register miles towed. Do the maint schedule and they are very good vehicle. Put xmission in neutral, turn key to first position and release brake and go. Hope this helps. Forgot this is 5 Speed Standard Transmission.
ChasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:28 PM   #3

You should be able to tow the Ranger with no problem at all. They are a great little truck.
I will offer up a WARNING though.
I own and operate an automotive-light truck repair shop. I have an elderly couple who have been customers for years who have a large MH DP and a 2006 Ford Ranger 4.0 V-6 with a 5 speed manual trans. I pulled into my shop one morning about 4 years ago and the Ranger was sitting in my lot. I recognized it and went over to look at it knowing they didn't have an appointment but maybe there was a note on or inside it explaining what they needed. I didn't find anything but I did notice the rear tires were worn right to the steel cords. Strange I thought as I knew the tires were only a few months old. The truck was locked so I figured I'd get a call or visit and went to work.
About an hour later the owner showed up and said: "I've got a problem". He went on to tell me he had gone to Camping World the evening before in the Ranger to pick up the MH after having some service work done on it. He pulled the Ranger up behind the MH shut it off and hooked the tow bar to the Ranger for the trip home. Afterward he went inside, paid his bill and came out and jumped into the MH for the 60 Mile ride home. He pulled out on the highway and after traveling less than 5 miles someone pulled along side him flashing their lights and blowing their horn and waving their arms. Doug pulled over to the shoulder, stopped and got out where he met the fellow and was told his tires were on fire. Apparently the tires weren't on fire but smoke was pouring off them. A towing service was called and it was determined the Ranger was still in reverse gear where Doug had left it while hooking up the tow bar. The towing service loaded the Ranger and brought it to my shop.
When I got time I took the Ranger out of gear and we pushed it inside to assess the damage. The tires were shot. The story doesn't end there. The engine was seized like nothing like I have ever seen before. I have seen a lot of them over the 56 years I have been working on vehicles. A couple interesting things take place when you tow a vehicle forward while the transmission is in reverse. At a speed of 65 MPH combined with the low gear ratio of reverse gear that poor 4.0 must have been spinning 10,000 RPM. To add to the misery the tires were turning forward while the engine was actually spinning backward. Guess what doesn't work in reverse direction? Yup, the oil pump.
I consider myself a fair to good welder but I could never duplicate the job this poor guy did to the inside of a 21,000 mile engine. The array of colors were spectacular. There was no fixing this one.
We did save the intake manifold and a couple other parts but couldn't even save the engine mounts as they were partially melted form the heat exposure. The clutch was toast. A few days later we had a new engine in it and test drove the Ranger. The transmission worked perfectly as did the rear axle. We did change the oil in both though.
Doug was a little embarrassed but I told him Doo Doo happens and I was sorry for his troubles. He drove away smiling.
Moral of this story? I don't think I need to tell you.
Lynn
Old 05-03-2016, 07:00 PM   #4

Thanks and WOW...........
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:02 PM   #5

We towed a 94 with five speed, it did run miles up on odometer but we did not care. We got great Ranger MPG while towing. I think I still have base plates and tow bar somewhere around here.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
You should be able to tow the Ranger with no problem at all. They are a great little truck.
I will offer up a WARNING though.
I own and operate an automotive-light truck repair shop. I have an elderly couple who have been customers for years who have a large MH DP and a 2006 Ford Ranger 4.0 V-6 with a 5 speed manual trans. I pulled into my shop one morning about 4 years ago and the Ranger was sitting in my lot. I recognized it and went over to look at it knowing they didn't have an appointment but maybe there was a note on or inside it explaining what they needed. I didn't find anything but I did notice the rear tires were worn right to the steel cords. Strange I thought as I knew the tires were only a few months old. The truck was locked so I figured I'd get a call or visit and went to work.
About an hour later the owner showed up and said: "I've got a problem". He went on to tell me he had gone to Camping World the evening before in the Ranger to pick up the MH after having some service work done on it. He pulled the Ranger up behind the MH shut it off and hooked the tow bar to the Ranger for the trip home. Afterward he went inside, paid his bill and came out and jumped into the MH for the 60 Mile ride home. He pulled out on the highway and after traveling less than 5 miles someone pulled along side him flashing their lights and blowing their horn and waving their arms. Doug pulled over to the shoulder, stopped and got out where he met the fellow and was told his tires were on fire. Apparently the tires weren't on fire but smoke was pouring off them. A towing service was called and it was determined the Ranger was still in reverse gear where Doug had left it while hooking up the tow bar. The towing service loaded the Ranger and brought it to my shop.
When I got time I took the Ranger out of gear and we pushed it inside to assess the damage. The tires were shot. The story doesn't end there. The engine was seized like nothing like I have ever seen before. I have seen a lot of them over the 56 years I have been working on vehicles. A couple interesting things take place when you tow a vehicle forward while the transmission is in reverse. At a speed of 65 MPH combined with the low gear ratio of reverse gear that poor 4.0 must have been spinning 10,000 RPM. To add to the misery the tires were turning forward while the engine was actually spinning backward. Guess what doesn't work in reverse direction? Yup, the oil pump.
I consider myself a fair to good welder but I could never duplicate the job this poor guy did to the inside of a 21,000 mile engine. The array of colors were spectacular. There was no fixing this one.
We did save the intake manifold and a couple other parts but couldn't even save the engine mounts as they were partially melted form the heat exposure. The clutch was toast. A few days later we had a new engine in it and test drove the Ranger. The transmission worked perfectly as did the rear axle. We did change the oil in both though.
Doug was a little embarrassed but I told him Doo Doo happens and I was sorry for his troubles. He drove away smiling.
Moral of this story? I don't think I need to tell you.
Lynn
A friend of ours also towed his Ranger with the parking brake set. He said he could not even tell going down the road until he seen sparks in the mirror at night. He ground metal off clear up and into the brake drums.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:57 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I occasionally tow a 2001 Ranger 4X4. Have had great success with it.

I take an abundance of measures designed to lock out the stupid switch in my aging grey matter. Check lists, observation from DW, my own personal observation thru the mirrors as I turn out of the driveway, a white rag attached to the top of the toad's steering wheel that I can see in the rear view camera etc. so far so good.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, tow