Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Anyone towed a 2012 Nissan Frontier?

I just bought a 2012 Nissan Frontier crew cab 6-cylinder 2WD with auto tranny. Motor Home magazine says the auto tranny model can't be towed. I checked Remco Towing and they only mention the 4WD. Is there anywhere else I could check?

Thank you for your help!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
The owners manual will provide the manufacturer's position on towing.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #3

I've attached page 9-35 of the 2012 Frontier owner's manual that addresses towing the truck behind a recreational vehicle. They obviously say an automatic can't be flat towed and "must" be towed with a dolly.

However, I have witnessed many Frontiers being towed. My former neighbor towed an automatic Frontier using a driveshaft disconnect. You may have checked the general Remco site instead of checking specifically with the Remco DSC site. I've also attached that page for the Frontier to this post. It only goes up to the 2011 models so you may want to call them. Their phone number is shown on the page.

Click here for the Remco DSC (drive shaft coupling) site

The Remco DSC page for the 2011 Nissan Frontier that is attached is a png image so just use your "+" function to zoom a bit in order to read it

-harry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Remco Drive Shaft Disconnect for Nissan Frontier.png
Views:	414
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	35890  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2012 Nissan Frontier Owner Manual page 9-35.pdf (40.0 KB, 150 views)
Old 03-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I am towing a 2010 Nissan Frontier 4 wheels down......but, it is a manual transmission. Took me 7 months to find a SE..4cylinder, manual transmission in black. Lucked into the best deal I have ever got on a vehicle. Occasionally, the manual is a dread in traffic jams. But it tows great.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Looks like you'll need a driveshaft disconnect to make the Nissan Frontier AT towable.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Looks like I'm out of luck on towing the Frontier! Not really a problem as we just bought a 2008 Honda Accord that we know can be towed by using a simple procedure. We did that on a 2001 Honda Accord and never had a problem. The Honda owner's manual says don't do it, but I have a copy of a letter from Honda engineering saying it's OK as long as you do the little procedure before towing.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #7

You asked if "there is anywhere else I could check?" and I gave you another option on where you could check. You said you checked Remco but you failed to check Remco DSC.

There are others who are towing a Nissan Frontier 2WD with an automatic transmission using a driveshaft disconnect so you are not exactly "out of luck towing the Frontier."

You obviously want blessings from the manufacturer but that's not what you asked in your opening post.

I'm through here.

-harry
Old 03-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
You asked if "there is anywhere else I could check?" and I gave you another option on where you could check. You said you checked Remco but you failed to check Remco DSC.

There are others who are towing a Nissan Frontier 2WD with an automatic transmission using a driveshaft disconnect so you are not exactly "out of luck towing the Frontier."

You obviously want blessings from the manufacturer but that's not what you asked in your opening post.

I'm through here.

-harry
Harry, please accept my apologies for not responding directly to your suggestion. I was not interested in doing a driveshaft disconnect but I should have told you that and thanked you for your concern. Thank you for trying to help me!

Joe

Old 03-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
One more comment from me. I preferred a Toyota pickup, I was at the dealer, and was having the discussion regarding towing. The manager told me that if a Toyota service tech. observed a baseplate, driveshaft disconnect,or any indication of modifications for towing, Toyota would void all warranties.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
One more comment from me. I preferred a Toyota pickup, I was at the dealer, and was having the discussion regarding towing. The manager told me that if a Toyota service tech. observed a baseplate, driveshaft disconnect,or any indication of modifications for towing, Toyota would void all warranties.
Bummer!

Old 03-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #11

Quote:

Having worked for Toyota Motor Corporation for many years in the Service and Parts Division before I retired I can assure you this "manager" does not have a clue what he is talking about. Toyota will decline warranty coverage on ANY modified component or related components if it deems the modification led to the covered component failure. The remainder of the vehicle would not be affected and normal warranty coverage would apply.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post

Having worked for Toyota Motor Corporation for many years in the Service and Parts Division before I retired I can assure you this "manager" does not have a clue what he is talking about. Toyota will decline warranty coverage on ANY modified component or related components if it deems the modification led to the covered component failure. The remainder of the vehicle would not be affected and normal warranty coverage would apply.
Don't get me wrong, I wanted a Toyota because of the fantastic quality, and service. I have owned two Camry's and the DW tells me the next car will be a Camry. Hence, I wanted a Toyota for my pickup. But that attitude of the sales managers and this response I bought a Nissan Frontier.

For argument sake........ If I had a Toyota, and I had a light wiring harness attached, any electrical problem could be denied. If I had a tow bar, then any engine, tranny,drive shaft, differential,wheel bearing, could be denied. Any brake assist device could cause a brake system denial. So, what is left: seat covers, head liner, paint........
Old 03-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I wanted a Toyota because of the fantastic quality, and service. I have owned two Camry's and the DW tells me the next car will be a Camry. Hence, I wanted a Toyota for my pickup. But that attitude of the sales managers and this response I bought a Nissan Frontier.

For argument sake........ If I had a Toyota, and I had a light wiring harness attached, any electrical problem could be denied. If I had a tow bar, then any engine, tranny,drive shaft, differential,wheel bearing, could be denied. Any brake assist device could cause a brake system denial. So, what is left: seat covers, head liner, paint........

Simply having a towing wiring harness installed etc. does not in and of itself mean the entire electrical system is no longer covered. If the harness is properly installed and there are no indications of current overload due to it's usage, then this is not justification for denial of warranty coverage for say an alternator failure. Please refer to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. I'm quite sure this sales "manager" has never heard of Magnuson-Moss but I can assure you the Toyota Regional Service & Parts Managers are very well versed in all aspects of what's covered and what's not.