Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:40 AM   #1
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Anyone towing 2005 Silverado Z71 ?

Looking for some info regarding this vehicle with the electronic transfer case and if the steering only locks when key is removed. Thanks in advance for any feed back.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2011, 04:43 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I believe GM trucks stopped locking steering columns around '02~'03. My '04 Yukon XL did not lock the column.

It also had the electronic xfer case and placing it in and out of neutral was very easy.

My '08 is basically identical and they both tow very well.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:46 AM   #3

Mike..I have an 05 Z71 Gmc Sierra (same truck)...I don't tow it but the steering wheel does not lock...My owners manual states to tow it (assuming it's an automatic)..Start truck or turn ignition to run...Put transmission in neutral......Verify transfer case is in 2HI....Simultaneously press and hold the 2HI and 4LO buttons for 10 seconds...The red neutral light will come on when transfer case is in neutral...Put tranny in park and turn ignition off...Your ready to tow it...
Old 08-12-2011, 02:48 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks guys. I felt like the tranny had to be in park to prevent it from possibly turning just like I did my 99 with the manual transfer case. Glad to hear I do not have to worry about the steering locking or having to pull a fuse like I did on the 99. The owners manual for the 05 Chevy stated the same about how to get the transfer case into neutral and added "put the transmission into reverse for one second and into drive for one second". The paragraph stops there.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:36 AM   #5

My manual states the same about putting the tranny in drive and reverse for 1 second...I think that's to make sure it's not in gear...I also had a 99 Sierra that I did tow..It had a manual transfer case but basically the same procedure other than the key had to be on to unlock the steering..Tranny in park..Transfer case in neutral...Towed easy with my 3126E Cat...
Old 08-12-2011, 10:24 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Towing Silverado Z71

We tow a 05 Tahoe with transfer case in neutral and trans in park. Pull the key and go. The forward and rev thing is to make sure you are in neutral.

Tags
towing