Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2016, 09:29 AM   #1

Anyone towing a 2016 MKX?

We are looking at a 2016 Lincoln MKX to compliment our Wrangler TJ. Have a few questions.

We currently use a ReadyBrute, curious if anyone has installed the brake cable?
Has anyone installed the Blue or baseplate?
What about lighting?
...and, finally, how well does the "neutral tow" feature work?

Thanks
Cr
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2016, 06:39 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Anyone towing a 2016 MKX?

I just purchased a 2016 Lincoln MKX about 30 days ago. I had an SMI Air Force One proportional braking system and Blue Ox tow bar installed.

Have only towed it a short distance but will be leaving on an 1,100 mile trip tomorrow.

The MKX neutral tow feature is really convenient, it's configured through system menus and the dash mounted transmission selector.

Towing speed limit is 65 mph and they suggest you let the engine run for s few minutes before you tow and then every 6 hours after.

My installer had to modify the baseplate to accommodate the adaptive cruise control, but said it was not a big deal, just took time.

Also, instead of using a drop down hitch adapter, I had them weld an additional section of square receiver tubing to the bottom of the existing receiver. This gave me the drop I needed and eliminated one moving part. (This idea came from forum member and Uber contributor Dutch Star Don.

I'm looking forward to the convenience of a system that is safe and reliable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1465993980.740542.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	130294

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1465994024.324151.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	130295

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1465994058.595235.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	130296

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1465994346.400922.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	130298
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1465994313.163652.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	130297  
Capt. Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:48 PM   #3

Thanks, Captain.....
We did purchase our MKX, do appreciate the info.
Would you happen to have a pic of the front end of the Lincoln after the install?
Also, how do you do an 1100 mile trip in Hawaii?
Old 06-21-2016, 03:03 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Roadmaster has a cleaner install for the MKX. Looking at buying one myself, which is why I say that. No modification necessary for adaptive cruise control.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:24 PM   #5

Capt. Kirk - I think Blue Ox would be interested in talking to you about the mod you made to the Blue Ox baseplate if your MKX has adaptive cruise.

I called to see if a baseplate was in the works for MKX with adaptive cruise. They said "no". Haven't been able to figure out how to modify.

If you have - they would like to hear from you.
ksandbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:21 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandbe View Post
Capt. Kirk - I think Blue Ox would be interested in talking to you about the mod you made to the Blue Ox baseplate if your MKX has adaptive cruise.

I called to see if a baseplate was in the works for MKX with adaptive cruise. They said "no". Haven't been able to figure out how to modify.

If you have - they would like to hear from you.
I'll contact Ryan and Dan's Service Center in Elkhart, IN and encourage them to contact their Blue Ox rep, if they haven't already.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:30 PM   #7

The last picture in the series appears to show a "battery disconnect switch". Is disconnecting the battery a requirement of Ford/Lincoln or simply your won precaution to keep from any possibility of draining the toad battery? If you have a supplemental in car braking system, do you power it from a lead back from the RV?
maperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:31 PM   #8

Sorry, but I'm new to the forum, and I meant to add that this type of factual information backed up by pictures is great. Sure beats some of the half-baked information sloshing around the net.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:40 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by maperry View Post
The last picture in the series appears to show a "battery disconnect switch". Is disconnecting the battery a requirement of Ford/Lincoln or simply your won precaution to keep from any possibility of draining the toad battery? If you have a supplemental in car braking system, do you power it from a lead back from the RV?
My Lincoln MKX has a "Neutral Tow" feature that allows for flat towing up to 65 mph. This is explained in the owners manual, but it never mentions disconnecting the battery. It does mention setting the air control in "recirculate" mode so diesel exhaust does not enter the cabin.

My tow system installer felt a battery disconnect was necessary, and he was right. On day 3 of my first (5 day) trip, where I was towing 5-6 hours per day, and not using the battery disconnect switch*, my battery died while parked in a campground overnight.

[* I was concerned the battery disconnect wouldn't allow the Lincoln taillights to work properly, so until I could talk to my installer, I left the battery switch on.]

I had been running the engine for about 10 minutes every morning before departure, and again after about 3-4 hours of towing, primarily to keep the transmission lubricated. But there are obviously enough vehicle systems that continue to run in the background, that even when in "Neutral Tow" mode, it's imperative to disconnect the battery.

I have been diligently using the battery disconnect switch since and have had zero problems with battery drain.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:28 PM   #10

Capt. Kirk, thanks for your quick and informative. Our 2016 MKX is on the way, so I'm starting to figure out how to make it towable. I will be using a Blue Ox system. I have two follow on questions. 1) Have you noticed any downside side effects of disconnecting the battery such loss of pre-sets on doors, radio or other settings? 2) How did you handle wiring of the tail lights? First is the old way of just wiring front to back and drilling two totally separate tail lights into the plastic housings so the Coach and the Toad electrical systems are never interconnected. Second, some people make a wiring harness that just plugs into existing connectors already on the car, but I don't find one that is specifically for the 2016 MKX. Then third, some people make a wiring harness that uses diodes to isolate the car and coach systems from feedback and then just splice into tail light wires. I'll also be bringing a hot (+12V) wire back to a cigarette lighter receptacle under the dash to power my Patriot toad braking system from the coach so as not to drain the MKX battery. Any help on what worked for you would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:47 PM   #11

After reading various comments - I sent Lincoln a note. See reply:

Dear Mr. Sandberg,

My name is Brooke and I am a Concierge Service Manager for Lincoln. Thank you for contacting us about towing your 2016 Lincoln MKX behind your motorhome. We appreciate your loyalty with the Lincoln family.

You do not need to pull out the fuse to prevent the battery from draining while towing because you turn off the ignition once the vehicle is in Neutral Tow Mode.

Enter Neutral Tow mode by doing the following:

1. Put the ignition in accessory mode by pressing the engine START button without pressing the brake pedal.
2. Select Neutral Tow under the Vehicle Settings menu in the information display.
3. Press and hold the OK button to start the neutral tow process.
4. Press the brake pedal and select N on the push-button transmission.
5. Turn the ignition off by pressing the engine START button without pressing the brake pedal.

If the process is completed successfully:

• the N on the push-button transmission blinks slowly
• Neutral Tow Engaged turn ignition off for towing appears in the information display.

Thank you again for contacting Lincoln.

Regards,

Brooke
Lincoln Concierge Service Manager
Lincoln Motor Company
Old 07-31-2016, 06:51 AM   #12

Which brand and model base plate did you install on your 2016 MKX? for flat towing?

I have been holding off on the purchase of a 2016 Lincoln MKX to flat tow. I have not been able find a dealer in San Diego that is able to get a base plate bracket that is approved to be installed on an MKX with adaptive cruise control and active shutters.

Blue Ox's base plate BX 2659 indicates it is not compatible with adaptive cruise control or shutters.

The Roadmaster model 524447-4 EZ4 base plate says it is compatible with the adaptive cruise control and active shutters, but doesn't seem to be available. I talked to two different professional installers and they confirmed they are not able to order it yet. I called Roadmaster and they said it would not be available until maybe September.

For those of you that are currently towing a 2016 MKX, does your vehicle have the adaptive cruise control and active shutters? What brand and model base plate did you install?

Thanks for your help.
Djrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:10 PM   #13

I have 16 MKX w adaptive cruise (not sure about shutters). Camping World installed Roadmaster EZ4 baseplate.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:48 AM   #14

maperry

Thanks to all the information on these post we have gotten satisfied that the MKX is towable 4 down. We have just ordered a 2016 MKX but ordered it without the Tech. Pkg. (adaptive cruise control). That said, I'm still very interested in hearing how people, who are actually towing, handled the issue of getting the tail, brake and turn signals connected without problem. I will be using Blue Ox tow bar and base plate so I can use my existing tow bar. But,
Blue Ox techs tell me that their tail light kid (with diodes) has had problems with the MKX. I have also read that the MKX tail lights are installed in such a way as to not have room to install a separate bulb (so there is no electrical connection to the MKX). How have others solved this problem?

Tags
tow, towing