Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2018, 10:20 AM   #1

Anyone towing a 2017 Explorer

Hey All,
Looking for feedback of anyone towing a 2017 Explorer with a gas class a? We have a 2017 Flair LXE 31B with the Ford powertrain. This suv falls just under the 5,000lbs rating but am looking for real world experience of how this handles behind the coach. Do you notice the suv back there or does this power train pull it without much difference from unladen? Thanks in advance for any feedback
BlueThunder4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2018, 10:35 AM   #2

We purchased a 2017 Explorer with flat 4 towing in mind

DO NOT get an eco boost engine, comes with a different trans that cannot be flat towed

We have the 3.5L AWD with Limited trim

Had dealer that we purchased coach from (used 05 Dutchstar) prep the Explorer for towing with a Blue OX baseplate, tail light wiring and breakaway switch

We use the Blue OX avail and a brake buddy aux brake. Need the brake in the Explorer to be compliant for towing here in Canada.

Really do not notice it at all behind coach, tracks great and connects/disconnects very easily.

Dealer installed a battery disconnect on the negative terminal to make connection very simple.

Double check with your owners manual and Ford dealer to make sure you can flat tow before starting.

We are very pleased with the set up

Hope this helps
Dougjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:41 AM   #3

Thanks! This is very helpful, we were looking at the Platnium which has the eco boost so I’m glad we read this first. Will definitely be sure to read the owners manual while shopping at the dealership
Old 01-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We tow our 2015 Explorer and it tows great. The only problem is you have to have the ignition on so the steering wheel does not lock. I assume the 17s are the same, and that can drain the battery so I have a 12v line run from the coach to the battery. Then all is fine.

Also Ford told me to run the engine when we stop for lunch or dinner and run it through the gears to lubricate the trans.

I went to the Ford Hot Line and they actually sent me an email verifying these details.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:55 AM   #5

Watch your tow rating on the Flair, Explorer may be close to your rating, don’t forget to add the weight of the tow bar and brake unit.

Being closer to your tow max do some reasearch on the aux braking available, you will probably use it more than we do (mine is set with sensitivity very low) just because the your coach is smaller and the added weight may put more stress on your brakes than in our set up
Old 01-07-2018, 10:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
We tow our 2015 Explorer and it tows great. The only problem is you have to have the ignition on so the steering wheel does not lock. I assume the 17s are the same, and that can drain the battery so I have a 12v line run from the coach to the battery. Then all is fine.

Also Ford told me to run the engine when we stop for lunch or dinner and run it through the gears to lubricate the trans.

I went to the Ford Hot Line and they actually sent me an email verifying these details.
Our 2017 states in the manual to disconnect the battery, does the 2015 not need that?
We also have to start the Explorer and run it for 5 min, run through all the gears, do not disconnect from coach, just connect battery and start it
Old 01-07-2018, 11:04 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougjpr View Post
Our 2017 states in the manual to disconnect the battery, does the 2015 not need that?
We also have to start the Explorer and run it for 5 min, run through all the gears, do not disconnect from coach, just connect battery and start it
I don't have a battery disconnect installed on ours. However, if I disconnect the battery the power door locks no longer work. Yes, I can use the key to get in, but I have to get in to pop the hood to reconnect the battery. 12v line is just easier and doesn't effect the computer. Not sure it would anyway. But then I don't have to reconnect the battery to run the engine each time.

Chevy owners just pull a main fuse and that's all that is needed but I for the life of me cannot find which fuse on a Ford that would be. Studied the manual and there doesn't seem to be one.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:53 PM   #8

Cooperhawk,
I hear ya on the pain in the butt part of the door locks, but I didn’t want to chance having something screw up down the road and have Ford point their finger at towing with the battery connected.

I lock all the doors, leave drivers door open, pop hood, open switch, unlock drivers door with key, and shut door. If we are only going on a short trip and won’t be stopping I don’t bother with the door locking
Old 01-07-2018, 02:31 PM   #9

We are also considering the Ford Flex as well, just want something that will tow well behind the coach and not drag it down being its not a DP
Old 01-07-2018, 03:05 PM   #10

I think the Flex shares the same drive train
Old 01-07-2018, 11:23 PM   #11

I'm guessing some of these issues are why 75 80% of the vehicles being towed are Jeeps
Kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:22 AM   #12

The OP asks about a GAS powered motorhome.

This page may help. See GVWR and GCWR rows.
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/ace/specs/

Then try this page to calculate (you will need to estimate some categories).
Towing Calculator | Husky Towing
http://www.huskytow.com/towing-calculator/

Be sure to use fully loaded weights for MH and toad and allow a 10% safety margin.

Safe travels.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:17 PM   #13

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder4 View Post
Hey All,
Looking for feedback of anyone towing a 2017 Explorer with a gas class a? We have a 2017 Flair LXE 31B with the Ford powertrain. This suv falls just under the 5,000lbs rating but am looking for real world experience of how this handles behind the coach. Do you notice the suv back there or does this power train pull it without much difference from unladen? Thanks in advance for any feedback
You should have all the info you need in your Coach somewhere
This will tell you what your weight is front and back and total weight and how much you can add to all the areas
Then you need to take your coach to the scales and weigh it, front rear and then with the tow vehicle, compare that with the weights on your coach and you have your answer
The rule is if you own a diesel pusher, you can tow anything, a gasoline engine, you should stay under 5000 lb.s, but I see everything out there, some states you can tow a vehicle with a boat towed to the vehicle LOL
erniewikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:44 PM   #14

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennzz05 View Post
I'm guessing some of these issues are why 75 80% of the vehicles being towed are Jeeps
You are right except their are 75% of people have their Jeeps of for sale.
Because the owners especially retired owners, do not en joy getting in and out of the Jeep, and the rough ride, if you are going 4-wheeling, buy a Jeep for a tow vehicle, but if you are buying it because it is easy to tow, there are better options, for instance a Ford Edge they are care free, very easy to tow, you need to put a leaver swhich on the cold side of the battery, or you can install a button swhich to a solenoid on the inside of the vehicle.
That’s it and it does not disturb your electronics, computer or radio stations
Hope that helps !!!
erniewikel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing