Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2019, 04:29 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTRIDER View Post
When you guys say "manual transmission" are you referring to the DCT transmission? We are looking to getting a Mini and only see the DCT listed or automatic. No just plain manual.

I can't speak for anyone else, but the 2019 Clubman I recently purchased is a good old fashion manual with a foot pedal engaged clutch and a stick shifter. It's not the dual clutch transmission version.
Pensacola Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2019, 09:29 AM   #30

American Coach Owners Club
Got some answers out of a Mini dealer. No more manual transmission builds for 2019, discontinued at this time. Maybe in 2020. So we will be looking for a used one.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensacola Al View Post
I can't speak for anyone else, but the 2019 Clubman I recently purchased is a good old fashion manual with a foot pedal engaged clutch and a stick shifter. It's not the dual clutch transmission version.
First, congratulations on your Clubman S and glad to hear it offered a manual as my Countryman S FWD only offered an auto where a manual was in virtually evey other build...thus dolly tow. Now the bad (or cautious) news. Both the current Clubman and Countryman are not the same as Mini's with manuals reported as successfully being towed. They are totally different animals not built on the Mini chassis but the BMW X1 chassis, and the entire drivetrain is based on BMW engines plus the same Aisin transmission used in other BMW's.

USA owner's manuals don't discuss towing (pulling) other than short distance and low speed - or even a hitch/towing capacity as "Not Recommended". It is ironic that BMW-DE has a press conference of a X1 pulling a boat through the German countryside. I tried pulling a UK owner's manual for Mini, but it requires a VIN number to access and unfortunately the British dealers don't list inventory on the web to borrow a "VIN".
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 12:01 PM   #32

Mini questions

I have been looking at buying a Mini to flat tow and hope Mini owners can clear up a couple of things for me.

Last week I contacted a dealer in Arizona to ask if the odometer would turn while flat towing. They informed me that Mini's position is flat towing could cause internal damage and is not recomended. That has not discouraged me but my original question wasn't answered. Reading different threads on this forum some say the odometer turns and other indicate is doesn't. Studying further is sounds like the odometer functions electronically and if the ignition is off and car is locked the odometer with not rack up miles while the car is being towed. Can somebody verify that?

Secondly, It sounds like wiring lights offers potential problems. What are the pros and cons of just useing magnetic lights? Sounds very simple.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:17 PM   #33

Vseasport,
I flat tow a manual 2019 4 door Mini “S”, and the mileage does tick up. I’ve posted on this thread before so you might review those posts. There are a few other idiosyncrasies that I mention there. As for the lights I wired through the existing and have not had any issues.
If you have any questions you think I can answer let me know.
Gypsy 7932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:23 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy 7932 View Post
Vseasport,
I flat tow a manual 2019 4 door Mini “S”, and the mileage does tick up. I’ve posted on this thread before so you might review those posts. There are a few other idiosyncrasies that I mention there. As for the lights I wired through the existing and have not had any issues.
If you have any questions you think I can answer let me know.
Gypsy,
Thanks for the come back.
Are your lights wired using Mini power or with diodes? The option of drilling into the tail lights to use LED doesn't appeal to me.
When towing do you have the ignition off and lock the car? Others have said when following that procedure they don't tick up miles. Wondering if different years act different? Seems like miles have a huge impact on the resale value of a Mini. That is why I am concerned.
Any other Mini owners have input on this?
Old 12-29-2019, 11:14 PM   #35

Vseasport,
The lights are wired with diodes. When I tow the ignition is off, in neutral and doors are unlocked and no key fob is in the car. When I stop towing I find the doors have locked themselves. When the ignition is off the car is still “on” like a TV in sleep mode. Certain functions within the car are still working. The only way I see around this is a battery disconnect, but that brings up other issues such as needing to reset everything.
I’m sure that different years act differently.
I do think the main and trip odometers tick up, but I’ll be towing soon and double check. I’ll also check if locking the car has any effect on this.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:14 AM   #36

Gypsy,

Mini dealers are no help at all. I'm interested to hear what you find out.

The doors lock on most cars when you start driving so I'm assuming your Mini doors are locking as if the car was being driven. Maybe it will go in a different mode if the doors are locked before rolling.

We have pretty much zeroed in on a mini as the best option for our toad. I would kinda like to find one with low miles but don't want to pay a premium price if the car is going to rack up thousands of miles with not even starting the motor.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:58 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by vseasport View Post
I have been looking at buying a Mini to flat tow and hope Mini owners can clear up a couple of things for me.

Last week I contacted a dealer in Arizona to ask if the odometer would turn while flat towing. They informed me that Mini's position is flat towing could cause internal damage and is not recomended. That has not discouraged me but my original question wasn't answered. Reading different threads on this forum some say the odometer turns and other indicate is doesn't. Studying further is sounds like the odometer functions electronically and if the ignition is off and car is locked the odometer with not rack up miles while the car is being towed. Can somebody verify that?

Secondly, It sounds like wiring lights offers potential problems. What are the pros and cons of just useing magnetic lights? Sounds very simple.

I tow a 2013 Roadster S. The odometer DOES NOT register mileage.
I use a TowMate magnetic light and it works like a charm.
6-speed Manual transmission. (N18 engine, I believe)
Car in neutral.
Doors locked.
No key left in the car.

We are using a ReadyBrute Elite towbar with a surge brake built into it. Getting it into the Mini was a PITA becase we have a dual firewall, but it's in and working great.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:16 AM   #38

Great information.
Now I have it narrowed down that a 2013 Mini odometer doesn't turn when being towed but a 2019 does.
In question is 2014 to 2018. I am hoping more Mini owners will share thier experience. 2014 brought a lot of changes and was the first third generation. Any other owners out there in Mini land that can give input?
Old 01-18-2020, 03:10 PM   #39

Mileage ticking!

Hey guys,

I just flat towed my 2015 Mini Cooper. The daytime running lamps did come on as I was rolling. I moved the headlight switch to every position I could turn...DRL's would illuminate as soon as I was moving. I also noticed my mileage was ticking upwards. I then hit the DRL button to the left of the rotary headlight switch and towed her home. The DRL's stayed off and the mileage did not tick upward! Kind of odd, but just something for the ol toolbox!

Paul
nomoreosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:20 PM   #40

Hi all,
Did a test today as to whether mileage tics when I tow my 2019 4door Mini Cooper S.
I originally thought mileage ticked up when towed, but today I dropped the MH at the shop towing the Mini for return trip. Distance was 19 miles and my odometer didn’t change for either total or trip mileage odometers
See my photos noting the time seen after my test run.
Hooked up at 11:17 mileage 8415 trip 5653.1
Unhook at dlr. 2:39 mileage 8415 trip 5653.1
Drive home 3:04 mileage 8415 trip 5653.1
Arrive home 3:27 mileage 8434 trip 5672.4
Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	769B3E7C-CD47-4716-BD27-3F46D5A29355.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	486.9 KB
ID:	278491   Click image for larger version

Name:	3444647A-9875-4AB8-A80C-409E36985E41.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	436.9 KB
ID:	278492  

Click image for larger version

Name:	EB194BD5-DDC8-4CC4-A8C4-947773F8FED4.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	278493  
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2020, 07:59 PM   #41

Thank you! Mini hopes answered

My name is Allan and I’m a very Newbie. One week owner of a New Aire and searching for a Toad and wanting a Mini but worried. I found info for older models, 04-12, but nothing recent. This thread is what I needed, really didn’t want a Jeep. Will be looking at a few Cooper HT’s and Clubman tomorrow, 15’s-19’s. I’ve taken multiple screen shots to review with the techs who will install the Blue Ox, brake lights, brakes, etc. Can’t wait for tomorrow!

Thanks again to all who participated in this thread. Any other advice is greatly appreciated as this is all new to us. I will share what happens and anything of value.

Allan
Anelkin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:17 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anelkin1 View Post
My name is Allan and I’m a very Newbie.

Thanks again to all who participated in this thread. Any other advice is greatly appreciated as this is all new to us. I will share what happens and anything of value.

Allan
Hey Allan,
Welcome to the fold and good luck in finding a nice Mini for a toad. I’m on my 3rd Mini. The first 2 were not super charged/turbo charged (AKA Justa Coopers). The first was a 5-speed that they don’t use anymore and the second an automatic which you can’t tow 4-down. Our current Roadster S is the best driving of them all. I’d give the advice to be sure to get an S.

Tags
tow, towing