Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #15

It's 82" wide.

2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QBH
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
I know this is hard to visualize, but if anyone else buys one of these trailers, do yourself a huge favor. Buy the trailer where the deck sits on top of the wheels, those fenders suck bad. I am about to shake Aluma down for a new set, let you know how that goes, my guess is not well. Basically the fenders break at the tabs where the tabs are welded to the fender. Both mine broke in exact same spot. I have only used the trailer a grand total of 3 trips for a total of 10K miles.

Would love to have the trailer without the fenders, just one flat deck.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wow, guess my faith in humanity was wrong. Called Aluma, zero problems or hassles, they are sending me two new fenders.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
Wow, guess my faith in humanity was wrong. Called Aluma, zero problems or hassles, they are sending me two new fenders.
Just curious if you asked if they had been redesigned? Could you post a pic of the break? Thanks,

Old 08-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
No they did not change the design, the person I spoke with said its not real common, but certainly they have had others with same problem. Told me that balancing my tires would help with this. Problem is not so much the tire as the bad roads that plague the entire US. We went east this year, and wow there were some bad roads east of the Mississippi.

Will take some pictures and post them up.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #20

good topic, I have the feather lite alum trailer with stone guard that by measurement should haul my rubicon 4 door and Harley Ultra. For those that have done this how bad is the road grit on the bike?
Old 08-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnjim View Post
good topic, I have the feather lite alum trailer with stone guard that by measurement should haul my rubicon 4 door and Harley Ultra. For those that have done this how bad is the road grit on the bike?
You must have the 20' version, right?

Old 08-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jim, is your MH a diesel and do you use weight distribution?
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude 66 View Post
Jim, is your MH a diesel and do you use weight distribution?

Yes it is a diesel, 43' with tag, not sure of the question on using weight distribution.

For the trailer the Rubicon will be placed toward the very back with the rear bumper overhanging the trailer. The Ultra will be tight in front between stone guard and jeep.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
We flat tow our two door Rubicon but I want to bring our Can Am ATV as well on a trailer. I think it would all fit on an 18 trailer by placing the ATV in front but I worry about the tongue weight being too little. Right now we hook the Jeep behind the MH, load the Can Am into an enclosed trailer, hook it to the Jeep, and pull both units.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #25

Quote:
We flat tow our two door Rubicon but I want to bring our Can Am ATV as well on a trailer. I think it would all fit on an 18 trailer by placing the ATV in front but I worry about the tongue weight being too little. Right now we hook the Jeep behind the MH, load the Can Am into an enclosed trailer, hook it to the Jeep, and pull both units.
Is that tow setup legal? I know you can tow a trailer behind a 5th wheel but behind a vehicle that is being towed I don't think so.. At least not anywhere I've travelled.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBolin View Post
Is that tow setup legal? I know you can tow a trailer behind a 5th wheel but behind a vehicle that is being towed I don't think so.. At least not anywhere I've travelled.
I think he's talking about putting both on a trailer?

Old 08-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #27

Quote:
Sometime this coming week I will be setting up my 18' trailer to tow about a 4K# car and a 600# bike, with the bike in the front. I too will be concerned with tongue weight and will verify by connecting to my pickup truck and measuring the bumper height with no trailer, then with empty trailer, then with car on the back, and finally with the bike also. I should be able to get a good idea from that. If everything looks good I will take a good test drive with the pick up. Then if it tows well I will eventually test with the DP before I leave for FL.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBolin View Post
It is legal in Texas, New Mexico, Kansas, and Colorado. The problem comes from the maximum length. Texas - 65 ft. NM - 65. Kansas - 65. Colorado - 70 ft.

Problem is, we are 67 feet long and Texas and NM doesn't care but we got a ticket in Kansas for being too long. That is the main reason I am thinking about going to a trailer to haul both.

Tags
towing