Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #1

Anyone towing a car and a motorcycle on an open trailer?

I've been towing my Colorado with the MC in the bed, but my wife wants to have her car in FL. with us. It's an all wheel drive and can't be towed 4 down. I once owned a Featherlite all aluminum open car trailer. I'm thinking about getting another one that I could put my 600# bike on sideways in front of her car. If anyone has done this I'd like to here from you with maybe some pictures. Thanks in advance.

2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QBH
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2013, 11:38 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
This is all i have, will take a picture tomorrow that shows our bikes in front of the jeep.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
This is all i have, will take a picture tomorrow that shows our bikes in front of the jeep.
Thanks for taking the time to do this. That looks like an Aluma trailer, is it a tilt model? I just looked at an 8218 tilt that just might do the job. I'm concerned about total length, I'll be around 65'.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes it is a 24' Aluma Trailer, no tilt. It comes with ramps, but those 39" tires of mine just walk onto the trailer with zero effort, so I never fool with the ramps. If I had to do all over again, Aluma makes one where the deck is above the wheels with no fenders, that would be the one I would get, the fenders on mine are kind of a PIA. I have to take them off every time I load and unload the Jeep, they have quick disconnects on them so it only takes a few seconds for each fender.

Hope this picture helps, you can easily put a cycle where I have our bikes mounted.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
Yes it is a 24' Aluma Trailer, no tilt. It comes with ramps, but those 39" tires of mine just walk onto the trailer with zero effort, so I never fool with the ramps. If I had to do all over again, Aluma makes one where the deck is above the wheels with no fenders, that would be the one I would get, the fenders on mine are kind of a PIA. I have to take them off every time I load and unload the Jeep, they have quick disconnects on them so it only takes a few seconds for each fender.

Hope this picture helps, you can easily put a cycle where I have our bikes mounted.
Thanks for the pic. You say it's 24', is that the overall length? I'm looking at an 8218 tilt which has a 219" bed length with a 294" overall (24.5').

Old 06-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry bout that, 24' is overall. The usable trailer area is 20', just went and measured. If you want to put a Jeep & cycle on there, would not go any smaller than mine.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am thinking about doing something similar to your setup except I want to haul a Can Am two up 4 wheeler, probably behind the Jeep. I can see an extra set of wheels behind your MH and it appears the trailer is hooked to some type of unit. What is the unit and why do you have the trailer hooked to it instead of directly to the MH?
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Old Dude, you are a very observant man. That extra set of wheels is my Trailertoad, just google it if you need one. Basically, it goes between your MH & trailer, it takes all the weight off you MH, and allows you to tow up to 18K lbs. It articulates left & right as well as up & down. It has a lock on it, so when you want to back up, you just lock it, and it becomes fixed. Takes away all the surging, shock, and overall abuse you have towing something, it adds 3ft to your length. I am 57 ft in length.

The guy who makes them/invented them is named Jok, and is a really good/smart guy. Been using it for two years now, with over 10K miles on mine, zero problems. They are not cheap, like $3k, but money well spent if you are concerned about overloading your coach.

Good luck!
Old 07-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #9

I wanted to haul my Jeep Unlimited and my Harley softtail so I came up with this rig. I got a movable motorcycle stand from Harbor Freight and mounted it on the front of my 21' auto hauler trailer. The stand is mounted with a pin in front so it can swivel around to load the bike. I mounted a bike chock on the front of the stand so the bike will stand straight while I swivel the stand back into it's travel position, which is cross way to the trailer. It is secured with a shackle to one of the D rings at the rear. I tie the bike down as I normally would on any trailer. The Jeep then is loaded with plenty of room to balance the load.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-24 11.58.34.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	42981   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-24 11.59.56.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	42982  

Old 07-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #10

Brilliant!!!
franknslots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #11

DegoRed, the photo's are not showing for me, can you send me a picture of your bikes and your jeep on the trailer, please?
Y Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:15 PM   #12

Sorry, when I got home, the iPad shows them just fine. Nice set up, we may have to do that too!
Old 08-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #13

Well, I got my trailer. It's an Aluma 8218T (tilt) which means no ramps to store. Just drive up on it. I added a 4' stone guard. I bought a HF trifold aluminum ramp and a Condor wheel chock. Here are some pics showing the position of the wheel chock. I'm going to make some brkts. to carry the MC ramp in front of the stone guard. I will add pics fully loaded later.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #14

Is your trailer wide enough for a Goldwing to sit on widthwise? It's hard to tell with the pictures. We already have the condor chock.

Tags
towing