Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:10 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Anyone Towing a Caravan or Town and Country

Hello,

I am looking for anyone who is flat towing a Dodge Caravan or Chrysler Town and Country. I just got my Remco lube pump and Blue Ox Aventa installed and am getting ready for a test tow tomorrow.

Specifically, what procedure are you using to put the vehicle in neutral that will kill the odometer as well? Somewhere I read I have to pull a fuse but that seems like a hassle to have to pull a fuse and then put it back each time I want to drive the vehicle.

Any help or advice on what others are doing would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

gregd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 09:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregd View Post
Hello,
I am looking for anyone who is flat towing a Dodge Caravan or Chrysler Town and Country. I just got my Remco lube pump and Blue Ox Aventa installed and am getting ready for a test tow tomorrow.
Specifically, what procedure are you using to put the vehicle in neutral that will kill the odometer as well? Somewhere I read I have to pull a fuse but that seems like a hassle to have to pull a fuse and then put it back each time I want to drive the vehicle.
Greg
gregd
These folks may have the answer for your "pulling and putting it back" fuse problem: roadmasterinc.com/products/accessories/electrical/fusemaster.html
Mel
'96 Safari

Old 08-03-2015, 08:22 PM   #3

Town and Country

I have a 2008 T&C that I would like to set up for towing 4 down. Is yours a 2008 or newer model with the 6 speed trans?
Rollly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:04 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollly View Post
I have a 2008 T&C that I would like to set up for towing 4 down. Is yours a 2008 or newer model with the 6 speed trans?
Mine is a 2005 with a 4 spd trans (41TE).

REMCO shows a lube pump is available for your 6-speed though.

Greg
Old 08-09-2015, 05:05 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregd View Post
Hello,

Greg
Greg,

Did you install the pump kit yourself? Would you do it again? If not, may I ask what the pump installation cost? I am going to put one in my Sienna this winter.

Cheers,

Bob
Old 08-09-2015, 06:42 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcovey View Post
Greg,

Did you install the pump kit yourself? Would you do it again? If not, may I ask what the pump installation cost? I am going to put one in my Sienna this winter.

Cheers,

Bob

Bob,

Yes I did. And yes I would do it again. I have always been a do it yourselfer on my cars and trucks. The hardest part was pulling the tranny pan. After that the routing of the hoses and mounting the pump was pretty common sense. The pump install took me around 4 hours and 1 trip to NAPA for a tranny pan gasket. Everything else I needed was in the kit including a coiled car to RV 6 pole hookup wire.

I called CW and a couple of private RV places and was quoted $800 to $1500 for just the install. Of course they required me to purchase the lube pump from them at Retail + markup too.

I ended up purchasing my pump from Southwest Driveline Service since they were the lowest cost that I could find on the internet.

Southwest Driveline Service

Loving life towing 4 down now after using a tow dolly for the past 10 years.

Greg
Old 10-16-2015, 10:44 PM   #7

I recently picked up my 2015 Town & Country from its Remco transmission pump installation. I thought I would have to find the fuse to kill the odometer. It stays lit (along with the information window, clock, etc). But I found that without the ignition on it does not record any new mileage! To solve the problem of the car battery running down my RV mechanic installed a trickle charge going from the motorhome to the Chrysler battery. It works great!
Old 10-16-2015, 11:09 PM   #8

2000 Caravan 41TE trans , did the Remco install myself.
Installed a battery disconnect in the negative cable. Luckily on this old unit only the clock needs to be reset when re-connecting the battery.

I an interested in upgrading to the newer Caravan with the 6spd, but have heard some complaints of the transmission over heating and triggering the low fluid pressure alarm on longer drives; 3 hours plus. Anyone having similar issues?
Old 10-20-2015, 06:10 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I towed my 2006 Grand Caravan for 2 years until the lube pump failed.
There are other treads on the lack of reliability of the remco pumps.
I did the install myself when I did the Blue-ox base plate and NSA Ready Brake cable installation. I can 2nd southwest drive line for parts.

I purchased a Wrangler JK unlimited to get 4 wheel drive and clearance for dirt roads. No more lube pumps for me.
Ed
Old 05-25-2016, 06:06 PM   #10

Put a lube pump on my 2006 caravan in 2006. Finally changed it last week. Not bad for 10 years. It was still working but I was getting chirping sounds.

Tags
tow, towing