Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:58 AM   #1
Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Question Anyone towing a Chrysler Pacifica???

Hey all,

So I'm thinking about buying a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica to use as our toad. I know that i need a Remco lube pump and I've confirmed that Blue Ox sells the adaptor plate that i need.

I searched all of IRV2 and didn't see any references to this car. I'm just wondering if anyone is towing a Pacifica and if there's any advice/comments/warnings about them. I know it's kind of heavy (~4700 lbs) but we need the 3rd row seat and I like it better than an Explorer or Trailblazer, etc.

FYI, we have a 360HP diesel pusher and folks have indicated that I shouldn't feel too much impact from pulling the toad even if it's a little on the heavy side.

All comments welcome!!

The Robsons of New England
Have kids, will travel!!
2009 Newmar 4154
Robsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2009, 08:24 AM   #2
We traded in our 04 Pacifica for an 08 Ford Taurus X in part because we didn't want to bother with the lube pump.

The Pacifica was a nice vehicle, but thirsty and requires 89 octane. The interior is very nice, but not the most efficient use of space.

09 Newmar Ventana 3942 (bunkbeds for the munchkins)
08 Ford Taurus X AWD Toad
69 Road Runner Convertible 528 Hemi 4 Speed
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
A girl that works for me has one. It is a great vehicle that was never very successful. Rides great, handles like a car, tight steering, but like the Jeep Grand Cherokee, kind of cramped inside for big people.

It also sucks gas and burns through tires. If you are going to drive it a lot, there are better choices, if not, it's a reasonable choice because of the third row seat and handling.
2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ - 2009 Ford Flex
Me (Gatogonow), The Boss (DW), Honey Bunny, Maggie May and Mollie Kay (The Gatos)!
Jim Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are going to buy a car to be a toad, why get one that needs over $1000 in mods? There are other crossover SUVs like the Pacifica, e.g. GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook, Chevy Traverse, Ford Edge, etc.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:21 AM   #5
I'll add I did see someone towing a Pacifica when I was in Chicago last year.

Our Ford Taurus X toad does everything our Pacifica did but on regular gas. The Pacifica did have a nicer interior. The Taurus X feels like it has the same interior space, but outside dimensions are shorter and narrower, which makes parking easier.

We wanted a toad that didn't require modifications and could handle 6 people and a double stroller. I was also happy to buy an American car that was built by a company not taking welfare money. (And I'm a Mopar guy)

The Taurus X was replaced with the Flex in the middle of the 2009 model year. They're on the same platform.
09 Newmar Ventana 3942 (bunkbeds for the munchkins)
08 Ford Taurus X AWD Toad
69 Road Runner Convertible 528 Hemi 4 Speed
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote