Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:28 PM   #127

We bought the Equinox

We concluded the deal for the Equinox today. Really don't think it was much of a "deal" but we have gotten a significantly nicer car. The difference in price for us was $6,500. This ups our payment $100 a month which is not great. So now I have lots of time on my hands for other things....

I have started an online "magazine" about Motorhoming and travel called Motorhome Madness check it out

Motorhome Madness | Scoop.it

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2011, 07:50 PM   #128

As you know, I posted a survey on-line. I had 9 people respond to the survey. Here is an overview of the results:
Length of ownership: 3 over 7 months; 4 people 3 to 6 months, 2 people less than 2 months.
Reason for buying: 90% to tow 4 wheels down
Money spent of tow gear: 4 people spent $2,000 and up; 3 spent $1500 or less, 2 spent none
The first choice for resolution was to get a Remco system. As we know, that was not something that GM was willing to do. The 2nd choice for the majority of the owners was to get a towable replacement car. I think that is what ended up happening in most cases. A few people swapped for a manual Cruze, one person I spoke with got a Sonic and some money back. Some people got a Malibu, Buick or Equinox with various amounts of money being added by the owner based on the difference in MSRP.

It is interesting that I have not heard of anyone taking GM's first offer which was $1500 for a tow dolly. Silly GM, if people wanted a tow dolly, they would have gone that route in the first place. What GM did not understand is when there is a BIG difference between towing 4 wheels down and using a tow dolly. I think they do now.

As I posted above, we "traded" for an Equinox. I took the car on a two hour drive the other day. I will say that I love it. It drives great and the interior is beautiful with nice two-tone leather seats and lots of nice amenities. Of course it is costing us $100 more a month but I think the difference between the two cars is worth it. We are still in a position where we are earning income, but if we were on a fixed income it would certainly be a big problem.

You might be interested in seeing my little bog on the Chevy Cruze debacle on my new blog-magazine Motorhome Madness | Scoop.it

Old 10-05-2011, 07:42 AM   #129

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We purchased an Equinox in July and so far have had no problems. It does drive well and the interior is comfortable. We looked at Ford, Honda, GMC and Chevy. Chevy gave us a good deal. Not many left to choose from when we purchased. So far we have towed it about 3,000 miles.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:11 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm48 View Post
We purchased an Equinox in July and so far have had no problems. It does drive well and the interior is comfortable. We looked at Ford, Honda, GMC and Chevy. Chevy gave us a good deal. Not many left to choose from when we purchased. So far we have towed it about 3,000 miles.
Be glad you did not get a Ford. I have read they are having problems too but are not owning up to it.

I will be driving the Equinox to Hilton Head Island on Sunday to visit my motorhome that gets to live there year round! I look forward to the trip in the new Equinox. Will probably get the two plate put on at Camping World while I am down there. There is one in Pooler, GA.

Somoma
Old 10-06-2011, 07:58 AM   #131

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I got a new 2012 Cruze LT1 with a manual transmission. Best thing is on the purchase agreement it says $0 cost to me. They transferred the tow bar and lighting kit. Fun to drive a 6 speed manual again.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:16 AM   #132

Cruze deal DONE

Finally got the Cruze deal finalized on Thursday, got a 2012 Equinox even up and $500 towards a baseplate My dealer Pete @ JORNS inc was great ,kept me informed of the progress ,GM not so great ,never seemed to know what the other hand was doing . Love the Equinox ,tows great and drives great. Really glad it's done and we can get on with life on the road
Old 10-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by somoma View Post
Be glad you did not get a Ford. I have read they are having problems too but are not owning up to it.

Somoma
I'm sorry but that is completely incorrect. Not owning up? Shows how much you don't know. They've replaced a lot of transmissions and they have NOT told users they can't tow them. They've issued TSB's on towing instructions. They modified the transmission in Feb 2010 and that reduced the problem significantly. We've now towed our Escape AWD Ltd 4400 miles with no problem. I put a ScanGauge on and it gets hot but not into the range where it destroys the transmission fluid and that is the key thing. In fact, you should put one on your Equinox and you may get a surprise. You do realize that the process to be followed when towing your Equinox is not much different that for me towing an Escape (I've posted the process described in the Equinox manual) but in addition you have to pull a fuse and I do not.

It appears that GM made no attempt to modify the transmission to rectify the situation - just sent out a note saying you can no longer tow. If you call the owning up properly, a lot of owners do not. Then saying we'll give you $1500 towards a $3,000 tow dolly - well, that wasn't owning up much either.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:37 AM   #134
Lit

National RV Owners Club
Please define "even up"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehtaf View Post
Finally got the Cruze deal finalized on Thursday, got a 2012 Equinox even up and $500 towards a baseplate My dealer Pete @ JORNS inc was great ,kept me informed of the progress ,GM not so great ,never seemed to know what the other hand was doing . Love the Equinox ,tows great and drives great. Really glad it's done and we can get on with life on the road

I'm now in the process of getting an 2012 Equinox, but it's far from even up I want to keep my Cruze cause I love the car. I'm trading in my 03 (AWD) Saturn Vue. I don't have the exact figure because I have don't have any paper work yet, I believe it's 17% off. Equinox should be in any day now.

Thank you

Lit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing