Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:58 PM   #43

Mid Atlantic Campers
I finally catch a break. I was just in negotiations to buy a new Cruze until I talked to Driver yesterday. I called my dealer, they were not aware of this towing issue. I asked them to check and low and behold it was true. Can you believe the salesman asked if I would still by the car if he could do a better price!?!? Bummer, I really liked the Cruze. I wonder if GM could upgrade the trans to the towable trans for a slight fee in the 2012 model? And, if they can why not retro fit it to the people that flat tow their Cruzes? GM has a real problem here...........IMHO

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2011, 05:33 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestme13 View Post
I finally catch a break. I was just in negotiations to buy a new Cruze until I talked to Driver yesterday. I called my dealer, they were not aware of this towing issue. I asked them to check and low and behold it was true. Can you believe the salesman asked if I would still by the car if he could do a better price!?!? Bummer, I really liked the Cruze. I wonder if GM could upgrade the trans to the towable trans for a slight fee in the 2012 model? And, if they can why not retro fit it to the people that flat tow their Cruzes? GM has a real problem here...........IMHO
You'd better believe they got a real problem here! They smell a class action law suite! That's why they are calling people and wanting to give them $1,500. towards a car dolly! They have a good car in the Cruze, they should have seen this. Then in their defense, the folks who had burnt up transmissions may NOT have obeyed the directions in the owners manual. Going over 65 MPH, or staying constant at 65 MPH and going to long between stopping and running the car for 5 mins. Then on the other hand, they should have looked at Saturns transmission, one could have ran all day with them and not at just 65 MPH. I miss the ole Saturn!

Old 08-26-2011, 05:15 PM   #45
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Has anyone called Remco? I see a lot of conversation about a tow dolly but I'm wondering if the car can be fitted with a lube pump?

I have a 08 Saturn Vue XE. Boy we're going to miss not having this model available anymore. When I was looking during the same time for a new car, the only Equinox that could be flat four towed was the most expensive "Sport" model with the V6 and 6 speed transmission.

The XE came in a lot less expensive and we really like this car. 25 MPG at daily speeds of up to 75 mph+ to Madison, WI and back and it was a great ride.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #46

Remco is working on a transmission pump for the Cruze and hopes to have one on the market in 60-90 days.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:14 PM   #47
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm4015 View Post
Remco is working on a transmission pump for the Cruze and hopes to have one on the market in 60-90 days.
Thank you!

I would not have repeatedly asked the question but a number of Cruze owners are heavily invested in towing equipment AND they like the car. I believe that a Remco would be a great solution rather than going through this entire exercise all over again. The downside of buying a new toad is most always getting a new baseplate and switching over your brake system.

Once the Remco pump is available .... I hope that GM will pick up the bill for the installation if they are willing to go $1500 for a dolly.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #48

Slightly OT - just read this report on AR1:

Quote:
Chevrolet Cruze Eco Averages 64 MPG Over 9,552 Miles

Cruze Eco
Behind the wheel of an unmodified Chevrolet Cruze Eco an Australian couple set a fuel-efficiency record for the 48 contiguous states. During the 23-day, 9,552 mile trip sponsored by Shell Oil, John and Helen Taylor averaged a remarkable 64.42 miles per gallon.
That is 50 percent better than the EPA estimate of 42 miles per gallon highway for a Cruze Eco manual, already the most fuel-efficient, gasoline-powered car in the United States, excluding hybrids and diesels. To achieve its segment-leading fuel economy, Cruze’s engineers focused on aerodynamic performance, mass optimization and powertrain enhancements.

For example, the Cruze Eco was the first in the compact-car segment to offer an active air shutter that closes at higher speeds to reduce aerodynamic drag and opens at lower speeds to optimize engine-cooling airflow. Engineers also made more than 42 changes to reduce weight on the Cruze Eco, such as light-weight 17-inch wheels and tires save 21.2 pounds (9.6 kg) per vehicle.

The Cruze Eco features a standard Ecotec 1.4L turbocharged engine that delivers the fuel efficiency of a smaller engine, as well as the power of a larger engine when needed. The Ecotec 1.4L turbo delivers 138 horsepower (103 kW) and 148 lb.-ft. of torque (200 Nm) between 1,850 rpm and 4,900 rpm. The wide rpm range for the maximum torque – a specific trait of turbocharged engines – helps the engine deliver a better driving experience and performance.

With the standard six-speed manual, the Cruze Eco delivers an EPA-estimated 28 mpg city, and 42 mpg highway. With the available six-speed automatic, the 2012 Cruze Eco delivers an EPA-estimated 26 mpg city, and 39 mpg highway.

Shell’s tips for improving fuel economy are available at the Shell Smarter Driving website.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #49

Man I am glad I didn't buy the Cruze. I looked at them and then decided to buy a 2010 Chev Cobalt my dealer had at a good price.

My salesman said yesterday that since he sold me my Cobalt, he has had a lot of calls for them. He said the Cobalt has gone up in value for some reason.

Maybe it's because of the problem with towing the Cruze.
jjwalkers26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:00 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Would the 'lemon law' apply here ? As car was not as advertized ?
Old 08-28-2011, 05:03 AM   #51

cruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by phranc View Post
Would the 'lemon law' apply here ? As car was not as advertized ?
I don't know, and I'm not going to pay a shyster lawyer to tell me, all I know, in this state if the car is taken back 3 times then the lemon law kicks in.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cruze Towing

There are other people on RV.NET under dingy towing that have expressed their problems with their Cruze not being able to tow four down. Many have written to GM and others, working with dealers or just buying something else. REMCO sounds like the best solution with GM paying for it.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by energizer View Post
There are other people on RV.NET under dingy towing that have expressed their problems with their Cruze not being able to tow four down. Many have written to GM and others, working with dealers or just buying something else. REMCO sounds like the best solution with GM paying for it.
Absolutely the best outcome. I would hope GM would get on to Remco (are you reading this GM???) and participate in making sure it can happen. Also, that would probably encourage sales of the Cruze as a reliable toad if the overheating problem is solved.

I'm beginning to think that the D3 should install or arrange a dealer installed option for a Remco for all vehicles that are supposed to be towable 4 down but which do not have a manual transfer case (like we had in our Tahoe and Colorado).
Old 08-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cruze Towing

Look at this link about a GM Engineer and what he had to say.
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: GM needs your feedback on Dinghy Towing
Old 08-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Glad I read this, I was just thing about getting one to tow. My Nissan Quest is just too heavy for the MH to pull. I looked at a smart car, but I would have to get the forfour for me and my daughters and no one sells it around me. Oh, well, I'll keep looking.
svdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by energizer View Post
Look at this link about a GM Engineer and what he had to say.
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: GM needs your feedback on Dinghy Towing
Nice find. I printed each of the four pages to a pdf. This confirms comments I read (and should have filed somewhere on my computer or on one of several TB's of archives) made by Ford engineers during the joint development of these transmissions. If I can find it I'll post their comments or a link if it is still live.

Tags
towing