Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:03 AM   #85

Somoma, Please be careful on the Malibu. The 2012's amd some of the 2011's can "NOT" be towed 4 down.
There is a Remco pump for the Fusion, Escape and Mariner Just came out. Go to www.remcotowing,com
Our dealer checked into all this when he was checking for our trade.
The Equinox and the GMC Terrain can be towed flat and the Equinox is a little cheaper.
Please don't get stuck in the same situation again.

Janet

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rvers4life View Post
Somoma, Please be careful on the Malibu. The 2012's amd some of the 2011's can "NOT" be towed 4 down.
There is a Remco pump for the Fusion, Escape and Mariner Just came out. Go to www.remcotowing,com
The Equinox and the GMC Terrain can be towed flat and the Equinox is a little cheaper.

Janet
I have 2011 Chev. Malibu and have not heard anything from Chev. Page 10-89 of the manual gives instructions on how to tow four down. I have only had it a month and got the base plates installed but haven't towed it yet. I gave the 2002 Saturn to the kids, I wonder if they will give it back. Probably not.

dagray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #87

Dagray, I know some 2011's can be towed flat. It depends if it is 6-speed automatic or 4-speed. They told me that some 2011's were changed to the 6-speed and is same as Cruze. The 4-speed's so far is okay.
This is what I was told when we wanted to change our Cruze for a Malibu. Our dealer could not find us a 2011 4-speed new.
Now we are changing to a Equinox.
Hope your car is okay. Good Luck

Janet
Old 09-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #88

Quote:
Dagray, I know some 2011's can be towed flat. It depends if it is 6-speed automatic or 4-speed. They told me that some 2011's were changed to the 6-speed and is same as Cruze. The 4-speed's so far is okay.
This is what I was told when we wanted to change our Cruze for a Malibu. Our dealer could not find us a 2011 4-speed new.
Now we are changing to a Equinox.
Hope your car is okay. Good Luck

Janet
My car is a six speed automatic with the four cylinder engine the same as the Cruze. I have only had it a month and have not heard from General Motors and I haven't seen any post on this bulletin board (except yours) about the Malibu. That would really be a bummer.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:32 PM   #89

Dagray go to www.rv.net
From there go to dighy towing
There is a post there on the Cruze and there is also a post on the Malibu.
I have been in contact with a member on the rv.net and he has a Malibu and they have told him you can "NOT" tow 4 down. He is in the works for getting it resolved.
Call the GM phne number and get a case file number and have them check into it for you.
800 222-1020 or call 866-790-5700

I do know that some 2011's can be flat towed.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #90

Quote:

Janet
Thanks for the input. We are really getting confused. Yesterday we eliminated the Ford Fusion after reading about melting transmissions and the solution being to drop the fluid level to the lowest point. Too much trouble for me. That would drive me crazy.

I did look at the REMCO site for Malibu, thanks for the head's up. It is making me take a closer look at the choices.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:40 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by somoma View Post
Thanks for the input. We are really getting confused. Yesterday we eliminated the Ford Fusion after reading about melting transmissions and the solution being to drop the fluid level to the lowest point. Too much trouble for me. That would drive me crazy.

I did look at the REMCO site for Malibu, thanks for the head's up. It is making me take a closer look at the choices.
Somoma. That is not a big issue really. Took it into the selling dealer, they lowered the fluid level and certified it. After that, what you have to do is virtually THE SAME THING you have to do to tow all other front wheel or AWD vehicles that do not have a manual transfer case with a neutral. All require running periodically and moving through the gears to get the fluid dispersed to cover the parts while you get up to speed towing, when the internal mechanism takes over.

Provide the dealer sets the level properly you should have no problems. We've towed our 2011 Escape 3000 miles to this point with no problems.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #92

Somoma, here is what the Equinox 2011 manual states with respect to dingy towing. No difference between this and my Escape EXCEPT I do NOT have to pull any fuses. NOTE the GM warning as to transmission fluid level.

Quote:
For vehicles being dinghy towed,
the vehicle should be run at the
beginning of each day and at each
RV fuel stop for about five minutes.
This will ensure proper lubrication of
transmission components.

To tow the vehicle from the front
with all four wheels on the ground:
1. Position the vehicle that will be
towed and secure it to the
towing vehicle.
2. Turn the ignition key to ON/RUN.
3. Shift the transmission to
N (Neutral).
4. Turn the ignition key to
ACC/ACCESSORY.
5. Turn all accessories off.
6. To prevent the battery from
draining while the vehicle is
being towed, remove fuse 32,
the Discrete Logic Ignition
Switch fuse, from the instrument
panel fuse block and store it in a
safe location. See Instrument
Panel Fuse Block on
page 10‑40.

Notice: If the vehicle is towed
without performing each of the
steps listed under “Dinghy
Towing,” the automatic
transmission could be damaged.
Be sure to follow all steps of the
dinghy towing procedure prior to
and after towing the vehicle.
Notice: If 105 km/h (65 mph) is
exceeded while towing the
vehicle, it could be damaged.
Never exceed 105 km/h (65 mph)
while towing the vehicle.
Once the destination has been
reached:
1. Set the parking brake.
2. Shift the transmission to
P (Park).
3. Turn the ignition key to
LOCK/OFF.
4. Install fuse 32, the Discrete
Logic Ignition Switch fuse. See
Instrument Panel Fuse Block on
page 10‑40.
5. Start the engine and let it idle for
more than three minutes before
driving the vehicle.

Notice: Too much or too
little fluid can damage the
transmission. Be sure that the
transmission fluid is at the
proper level before towing with
all four wheels on the ground
Old 09-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Somoma, here is what the Equinox 2011 manual states with respect to dingy towing. No difference between this and my Escape EXCEPT I do NOT have to pull any fuses. NOTE the GM warning as to transmission fluid level.
Thanks, you are very helpful. I appreciate the information. It appears that my dealer has 2012 equinox's on hand and 2011 Malibu's

Based on a post I saw, I am wonder if the 2012 Malibu is flat towable. I saw on a post that someone was offered the 2012 Malibu manual transmission and the 2012 Equinox 6 speed automatic transmission. Remco does not have anything about the 2012 Malibu on their site. I also read elsewhere that the Malibus were re-designed for 2012, so that could change the picture for the Malibu
Old 09-02-2011, 05:29 PM   #94

somoma: I have a 2011 Chev. Malibu. I have not heard from General Motors if it is towable. The manual says it is and so did the dealer. It has the four cylinder engine with the six speed automatic. I understand it is the same as the Cruze. The Malibu has a six cylinder with a four speed that is towable, I think. Be careful and make sure before you spend your money. The Malibu has had from what I can tell this engine and transmission beginning in 2008. Why would they now find out it can not be towed. The Malibu does not come with a standard transmission.

I just spent $700.00 to have the baseplates put on.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #95

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagray View Post
somoma: I have a 2011 Chev. Malibu. I have not heard from General Motors if it is towable. The manual says it is and so did the dealer. It has the four cylinder engine with the six speed automatic. I understand it is the same as the Cruze. The Malibu has a six cylinder with a four speed that is towable, I think. Be careful and make sure before you spend your money. The Malibu has had from what I can tell this engine and transmission beginning in 2008. Why would they now find out it can not be towed. The Malibu does not come with a standard transmission.
If you read through this thread GM needs your feedback on Dinghy Towing you will find a question relating to towing the Cruze in which GM edited its earlier answer on 8/18 to remove a statement that the Cruze can be towed flat. Notice that a similar question related to the Malibu was not edited.

If GM is going so far as to cover its tracks in old forum threads, then I assume that not doing so for the Malibu is evidence that GM still considers the Malibu to be towable even though it has the same drivetrain as the Cruze.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:57 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit View Post
I had purchased my Cruze in mid January, the deciding factor was towing 4 down, I looked into the Owners Manual and it said it was good to tow 4 wheels down. I have talked to the Customers Assistance's 800 number the response I received was "They are working on a fix and will call me back"
I just received a call back from the owner of the dealership he had returned my call, he stated was not aware of this and will check into it further with his contact.
For everyones sake I hope they come up with a positive fix, because I sure do love this Cruze.
I feel you pain, I bought mine in May, got the LTZ, fancy looking car, got it to tow 4 wheels down like you did, I really like the Cruze. But what good is it if it is setting in my garage while I am away? A fix to the Cruze? A transmission redesign or if Remco comes up with a pump, but GM isn't going to install pumps on every Cruze, at least that imho.
I'm going to my dealer today to pick out a replacement, man, this Cruze has such a pretty color and they stopped putting out this color for 2011 and 2012 on Buicks.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #97

Monaco Owners Club
I tow a 2010 Malibu, 4 cyl., with the auto 6 speed. So far towed it for approx. 6000 miles without problem. I follow GM's instructions and more, I run the engine before towing for at least 10 minutes, and also whien we stop for lunch for another 10 minutes
My prior toad was an 06, Pontiac G6 with the 4 speed auto. I towed it for approx 87,000 miles without problems except replace the rack and pinion steering gear.

So hopefully GM won't revise their position with the Malibu.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #98

We drove the Malibu 2011 and 2012 on Saturday. Nice car but we are looking for something different. Really want to drive the Equinox but they do not have any on the lot. Expecting some within a couple of weeks.

Tags
towing