Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:39 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by energizer View Post
Here is the words from the Sonic Owners manual about RV towing. Dinghy Towing
When dinghy towing a vehicle with
an automatic transmission, the
vehicle should be run at the
beginning of each day and at each
RV fuel stop for about five minutes.
This will ensure proper lubrication of
transmission components. Here is the site.
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&key=13b9c92df7d7fb7a28b44ccb1ed0e8 b4&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sonicownersforum.com%2Ffor um%2Ft185%2F&v=1&libid=1315869481742&out=http%3A%2 F%2Fcontent.gmownercenter.yahoo.com%2Fdocs%2Fmanua ls%2Fchevrolet%2F2012_chevrolet_sonic_owners.pdf&r ef=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fsourceid %3Dnavclient%26ie%3DUTF-8%26rlz%3D1T4GGLL_enUS384US384%26q%3Dchevy%2Bsonic %2Bowners%2Bmanual&title=2012%20SONIC%20OWNER'S%20 MANUAL%20AVAILABLE!%20(in%20pdf)%20-%20Chevy%20Sonic%20Owners%20Forum&txt=http%3A%2F%2 Fcontent.gmownercenter.yahoo.c...nic_owners.pdf&js onp=vglnk_jsonp_13158698648203
These are the same words that appeared in the Cruze manual. Air flow will be the problem with the Sonic like the Cruze. I am waiting to hear from GM about an offer for a new Cruze with a manual transmission and changing over my tow bar bracket and lighting kit.
I hear you, (as it were). I am getting gun shy from all this. I got a call from my dealer, the car I would like is a 2011 Buick Regal, towable 4 wheels down, he said the 2012 Buicks are NOT! towable four wheels down, what in the world is going on? I'm afraid that if I get that Buick, I'll end up in the same situation I'm in with the Cruze. I am fed up with the whole thing. I have been waiting on my GM rep to call with the deal they have offered me for the last 5 days, he can't get a hold of his boss for the final ok, I think they are stalling and I am ready to sign up for a class action. I don't know why they are dragging their feet with me, I'm going to have to shell out more money for the Buick, they aren't going to lose on me.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2011, 06:41 AM   #114

Lit

I agree about that rude response. I know as most others know you were just trying to help. For that we thank you. I don't have the problem cause I have a Chev Cobalt but I have been keeping up with this issue and hope everybody gets it settled the way they want.

JW

jjwalkers26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #115

Update

We have finally come to a decision to get the 2012 Chevy Equinox, FWD.
We were considering the Malibu however the 2012 is not flat towable, so that left us with a small selection of 2011's in our area. We have already spent too much time and effort trying to resolve this problem. I found an Equinox that I like, in a color that will match our coach but it is not at the dealership that we are working with, so the general manager is calling the other dealer to try to workout a transfer or something to get that particular car for us. Right now, there are very few 2012 Equinox's in stock yet.

i am waiting until Monday to see how everything pans out. That is when the general manager will tell the GM rep to get the paperwork done so that we can finalize the deal, assuming that we can get that particular car.

The General manager also scanned the pages from the manual regarding the dingy towing and e-mailed them to me so I could be sure it is flat towable.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #116

somoma, good selection. We've had a rental 2011 Malibu for the past week and after 1100 miles (in NM, AZ and UT) I can assure you we'd NEVER buy one. Consider yourself lucky they are not towable. It has some good features but far too many deficiencies (getting in and out is a major issue - poor design and I've banged my head too many times to count - but MPG has been excellent - it has the 4 cylinder engine). A year ago I test drove a 2011 Equinox LTZ FWD 4 cylinder and it is head and shoulders over our rental Malibu. You will enjoy it even though it does weigh substantially more than the Cruze.

Hope they can do the deal for you.

Don
Old 09-18-2011, 07:22 AM   #117

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
somoma, good selection. We've had a rental 2011 Malibu for the past week and after 1100 miles (in NM, AZ and UT) I can assure you we'd NEVER buy one. Consider yourself lucky they are not towable. It has some good features but far too many deficiencies (getting in and out is a major issue - poor design and I've banged my head too many times to count - but MPG has been excellent - it has the 4 cylinder engine). A year ago I test drove a 2011 Equinox LTZ FWD 4 cylinder and it is head and shoulders over our rental Malibu. You will enjoy it even though it does weigh substantially more than the Cruze.

Hope they can do the deal for you.

Don
Where the heck were you before I bought a 11 Malibu 6 cyl a few months ago. Just to qualify where I'm coming from, I haven't owned an "American owned auto manufactured" vehicle in 15 years until a few months ago. The Malibu is a piece of government owned junk. It has a little over 5000 miles showing and has been towed another 4000 miles. It rattles, squeaks and rides like a log truck. The road and wind noise is awful. Getting in and out is terrible. The best gas mileage I've gotten on a tank so far has been 22.3 mpg (6 cyl). The really sad thing, the Lexus ES350 we bought earlier this year was only $9000 more and is a Rolls-Royce compared to the assembled in Kansas car.

I wish I had my 2007 Toyota Avalon with 110,000+ miles and tow dolly back.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #118

Jim, no doubt your 6 V6 is not as gutless as our rental 4 cylinder. To my amazement our rental unit has AVERAGED well above 30 mpg. One tank on I-40 was almost 34. The last tank was just a sliver under 30 because much of it was stop and go in Arches and Monument Valley.

What I've noticed out here during our trip is a lot of Subaru's. If Subaru ever built a model with automatic that could be towed four down I think it would garner a good slice of the market.

When the platform the Malibu is on first appeared as the Saturn Aura I too was very impressed and thought I might buy one in the future. I have a feeling that the Saturn version may have had better quality - which may be why GM discontinued it. :(

GM's decisions have often had me scratching my head. Allison makes a great transmission and it was a highly profitable division - so they sold it.

Don (in Moab heading for Mesa Verde today)
Old 09-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #119

Question

Does anyone know the ballpark price of the Roadmaster towplate and the installation charges?
Old 09-18-2011, 03:57 PM   #120

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by somoma View Post
Does anyone know the ballpark price of the Roadmaster towplate and the installation charges?
I just guessed a Jeep as a toad and looked on the Roadmaster website...$367.95 for the plate. If you look on their website with you specific vehicle you can get an exact price.

A guess on installation...$200-500.

Now that I've hijacked the thread...back to the original program in progress.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:43 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim

I just guessed a Jeep as a toad and looked on the Roadmaster website...$367.95 for the plate. If you look on their website with you specific vehicle you can get an exact price.

A guess on installation...$200-500.

Now that I've hijacked the thread...back to the original program in progress.
Well actually I was wondering about the Equinox that I will be exchanging for my Chevy Cruze. I am thinking about asking for that in the negotiation. I will call Camping World to double check. I understand that GM is puttin tow plates on the new cars for the Cruze owners.
Thanks
Old 09-19-2011, 06:50 AM   #122

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would figure at a RV dealer for the tow bracket, lighting kit, installation, etc about $1000.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:58 AM   #123

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by somoma View Post
We have finally come to a decision to get the 2012 Chevy Equinox, FWD.
We are very pleased with our 2011 Equinox 4 cyl FWD as a toad. Tows very easily with just one fuse to pull, which we installed a switch.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #124

They blew it

The General Manager called me back this morning. They were not able to get the Equinox that I found after considerable time on line and the drove to the other deal twice to check on. Excuses were given, blah, blah. Whatever.

So I am done doing the legwork. He said he had another one coming in exact twin, except it is blue do I want that one? "No"...."Did you say, no?" "Yes, I did. I do not want a blue car. My coach is grey and I want a silver car."
He said he will hunt for one. I hope they hunt harder than they have for the past 3 weeks, which was no hunting at all. I am really PO'ed now. Why is it so hard for these people to come up with a car? GRRRRRRR
Old 09-19-2011, 05:56 PM   #125

I am thinking of just getting my money back. My husband is afraid to drive the cruze because he doesnt want to get it scratched up. And the dealer had told me that GM would give me a "really good deal" .....is MSRP a really good deal? Couldn't I get the money back and then just buy some other car for MSRP? ( or better?)
Old 09-20-2011, 11:18 PM   #126

OK, I have a car

The general manager "found" an Equinox 2LT Front wheel drive in the correct color (silver ice) for me. They brought it down from some other dealership some place. i did not recognize the name of the dealer- (he had his sticker on the back of the car). It has 18 miles on it so they must have put it on a flat bed tow truck or something.

Anyway, I went to look at it, sat in it and told him to move forward. He was contacting GM to tell them to get the paperwork going. He said that when they have done these in the past, it takes about 2 weeks to get the paperwork to the dealer. I am trying to leave town by the end of September, so I may have to push that back which is a problem.

He put a "Sold" sign in the window and they are parking it on the back lot so no one will try to sell it. We are parking the Cruze in the carport for safe-keeping until we make the trade. I may drive it a little to burn up the gas that we have in the tank though!

Tags
towing