Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:30 PM   #1

Anyone Towing a Ford Fusion Hybrid?

I'm considering a Fusion Hybrid as my next toad. I've read the owner's manual so I know it's towable. Roadmaster and Blue Ox both have baseplates. I'm looking for real experience on how it tracks, brakes, baseplate installation, etc. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2018, 06:37 AM   #2

I have towed my 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid since 2014. I use a Blue Ox Baseplate. It was pretty straightforward to install and can be done yourself if you are fairly handy with automotive repairs. I installed the Roadmaster Invisibrake system and it works fine as well. Hooking up the lights for towing can be a bit of a challenge. I used in-line diodes for the turn signals and a separate license plate frame mounted led light bar for the tail light function. I do recommend you install a charge line to keep the 12 volt battery charged up while towing. I have towed the Fusion about 35,000 miles using two different motor homes with no real problems

Old 02-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #3

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:52 PM   #4

Have towed our 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid for over 20,000 miles. Have Roadmaster Falcon tow bar and Invisibrake under the seat. All installed at the Roadmaster Factory in Vancouver, Wa. Also have a Blue Ox Towbar with Roadmaster adapters as a backup.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:57 PM   #5

52.3 mpg for a high in flat Florida Panhandle. In over 41,000 miles we have a lifetime average of 45.3 mpg. Best car we have ever owned and never needed any repair so far
Old 02-13-2018, 07:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikee View Post
I have towed my 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid since 2014. I use a Blue Ox Baseplate. It was pretty straightforward to install and can be done yourself if you are fairly handy with automotive repairs. I installed the Roadmaster Invisibrake system and it works fine as well. Hooking up the lights for towing can be a bit of a challenge. I used in-line diodes for the turn signals and a separate license plate frame mounted led light bar for the tail light function. I do recommend you install a charge line to keep the 12 volt battery charged up while towing. I have towed the Fusion about 35,000 miles using two different motor homes with no real problems
Blue Ox is my first choice since I've had them on 3 previous toads. I bought the hybrid last night and since it has the adaptive cruise control Blue Ox also seems to be the only choice. At 50 lbs it is one of the heavier baseplates they make. There's also a note in the installation instructions that the low placement may cause it to hit the ground on rough transitions. Have you ever noticed the weight or ground clearance to be a problem?
Old 02-13-2018, 07:19 PM   #7

Anyone tow a Fusion Energi?
Old 02-14-2018, 10:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageishecker View Post
Blue Ox is my first choice since I've had them on 3 previous toads. I bought the hybrid last night and since it has the adaptive cruise control Blue Ox also seems to be the only choice. At 50 lbs it is one of the heavier baseplates they make. There's also a note in the installation instructions that the low placement may cause it to hit the ground on rough transitions. Have you ever noticed the weight or ground clearance to be a problem?

Donít notice the weight ... but I suppose it could lower the fuel mileage. I have drug the bottom of my tow bar through rough transitions a fey times. It helps if you transit these transitions at an angle. Iím also in the process of trying my towbar setup 2 inches higher than the Fusion attachment points.

Tags
ford, tow, towing