Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:36 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Anyone towing a GMC 1500 4x4, four down

I have towed my 2005 Toyota Avalon on a dolly the last three years making two trips coast to coast without any major issue. I now find myself needing a pickup when I go to Florida this winter. And my 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 is approaching retirement. I'm looking at a 2013, 2014 or possibly a 2015 1/2 ton, 4x4, SLT. I just read a thread on a 2013 Chevy. It sounds like the primary issue is determining if the transfer case has a neutral. Some do and some don't. And it isn't marked apparently. One comment was if it has a 4lo selection it has a neutral all the way to the right but it isn't marked. I would appreciate any comments on any additional items I should be looking for to tow this vehicle 4 down.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2015, 10:29 PM   #2

The trucks I have looked at show the 'N', but it is very hard to see. I find it was easy to see if you have a small flashlight.

soneil422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:32 PM   #3

Unless it only has a single speed transfer switch it does have neutral position. In general you put the vehicle in neutral with the engine off and turn the knob all the way to the right and hold it until the "N" lights up. Then put the transmission in park and remove the key.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:19 AM   #4

We have towed our 2012 GMC Sierra 1/2 tn extended cab four down for over 22,000 miles without a problem. Our transfer case control knob includes 2high, auto, 4high and 4low and N positions. The "N" is difficult to read unless the transfer case has been placed in neutral when it lights up.

By the way, our truck is equipped with a 5.3L V8 FlexFuel motor and 6 speed automatic.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:19 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry to thread-jack, but I just bought a 2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 - my first truck since leaving the family farm 40+ years ago. So towing one of these is as easy as that? Use the secret handshake to get the transfer case into neutral and you can flat tow it? How cool!

I think I have the towed vehicles landscape nicely bracketed: turbo Miata and 4x4 extended cab truck
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:11 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks to all for the responses. The other question I have is kind of dumb but I would like to confirm from someone pulling one of these trucks. According to my research, the negative battery cable must be disconnected (at least on the 2015). I am assuming that virtually all vehicles now have electronic odometers. Therefore, with the transfer case in neutral and the battery disconnected the mileage is not going to show up on the odometer. I am considering leasing the vehicle, so mileage on the odometer is important! Can anyone confirm??
Old 01-23-2015, 12:18 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
You could also try coasting with the ignition shut off. I would wager the odo will not advance with the key off, but make sure you can handle the truck w/o power steering before you try this.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:48 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
N on 2013 3500HD

In answer to your question if you have 4wd you should have Neutral on transfer case. Instructions in owners manual explain basically saying to turn the switch for transfer case from 2d all the way past 4d&4l to right and hold 10 seconds. After N flashes on you follow rest of procedure. Very simple. Now I am trying to decide if I really want to tow my dually as a toad. Anyone reading responses have an opinion? I have tow bar, baseplate , licensing and RV all rated for this.... RV weighs 43000 and 3500 weighs in at 8580 pounds. Thinking to pull it first time without braking - 800 miles with no extreme hills.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:55 PM   #9

My 05 tows easier than my partners 14 I push and go he puts in neutral and then has to disconnect the neg cable and put on a wire for the breakaway switch I am ready 5 minutes before he is Tow s easy
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:08 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
RE: towing the dualie:

I use our 35' '04 dp on Freightliner chassis to tow a 7000 lb gross race trailer. I got caught in stop and go traffic through Seattle and faded the RV brakes one time - I had gone too many miles without adjusting the trailer brakes and was not getting much (if anything) out of them. Your coach weighs a lot more than my 35'. If the brakes are the same, I suspect you won't have much braking margin with the 8,580 lb lump back there.

We recently purchased an RV iBrake. I'm pretty impressed with the flexibility it offers.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpavan View Post
I have towed my 2005 Toyota Avalon on a dolly the last three years making two trips coast to coast without any major issue. I now find myself needing a pickup when I go to Florida this winter. And my 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 is approaching retirement. I'm looking at a 2013, 2014 or possibly a 2015 1/2 ton, 4x4, SLT. I just read a thread on a 2013 Chevy. It sounds like the primary issue is determining if the transfer case has a neutral. Some do and some don't. And it isn't marked apparently. One comment was if it has a 4lo selection it has a neutral all the way to the right but it isn't marked. I would appreciate any comments on any additional items I should be looking for to tow this vehicle 4 down.
Grandpavan,
Well Sir, the smartest thing you SHOULD do here is, go to the dealership at which has one of the trucks you're thinking about towing. Then, DO NOT TAKE ANY WORD OF ANY SALES PERSON when it comes to whether it can be flat towed or not. Go RIGHT TO THE OWNERS MANUAL of that particular truck, and find the section for flat towing. It will tell you if it can, or cannot be flat towed. Now, if the particular truck you're looking at, CAN BE FLAT TOWED, it will give the EXACT procedures for prepping it, in that manual.

There are, in many cases, slight differences in procedures for prepping a truck for flat towing, from year to year, but not always. But, what you may be given for advice for prepping an older model truck for towing, quite possibly will have changed for a newer model.

We have an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 and it can be flat towed. It's all spelled out in the owners manual, all be it in several different pages. We've towed that truck now for, about a year and, about 10,000 miles. And much of those miles, that truck was carrying a 900 lb. Honda GL 1800 Goldwing in the back, on a Rampage lift. It tows great. No issues what so ever. NO MILES ARE RACKED UP WHILE TOWING IT.

And, on our model year, there is no battery disconnect in the sequence of events in prepping for towing. That, I understand, changes for around the model '13 year, if I'm not mistaken but, again, do check IN THE OWNERS MANUAL for proper guidance in this matter. Good luck.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:31 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 tows four down with transfer case in neutral. Odometer does show mileage while being towed.

Tags
tow, towing