Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2015, 02:49 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Anyone towing a Ram 2500?

Looking for recommendations for a supplemental brake system, will AFO work?

Thanks
CaptPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2015, 11:49 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The size and weight of the toad really doesn't affect the supplemental braking system you choose. Any method of applying the normal brakes will work, just make sure the RV, receiver, tow bar, etc. are all up to the weight of that large, heavy toad.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:51 PM   #3

Up until this summer, I towed a 2011 2500 Longhorn CTD. As mentioned above, virtually any braking system will work. All braking systems work by utilizing the toad's brakes and since they are the same brakes that you use when it isn't being towed, they are quite sufficient in stopping the vehicle. The biggest differences in the braking systems are how they are installed, size and weight of the portables, etc. Most of the major players have stayed in business by having efficient and capable designs. Some install easier than others; some are installed permanently in the engine bay and work via cable, others are installed on the driver's floor and operate the brake pedal via electric motors or air pressure.

I prefer the portable "on the floor" type as I can move it from vehicle to vehicle quite easily (used it in the truck, now using it in the Jeep) and of the portable types I like the RViBrake2 ( RVibrake ) unit. It is light, compact and easy for the DW and I to maneuver, install and remove and has proven to be quite reliable, however, their cost is higher than some, but, well worth it to me over the lifetime of the units.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:59 PM   #4

I am using a NSA Ready Brake. I like that it is total mechanical. When set up correctly, you can feel it work.
mischievous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:14 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I have started to tow my 2011 Ram 1500. I know it is lighter than the 2500, but like was said, you use the vehicle braking. I am using a Blue Ox Patriot system. I worked well on the first trip, Mass to Florida. We took I-81/I-77 so used it on some hilly terrain. I also liked that it has a wireless remote control monitor that just plugs into a 12v plug.

I also just used it pulling a tow dolly with a car back from Florida. The dolly had no braking so I put the unit in the car. It worked great. I like having a unit I can take from vehicle to vehicle with not additions installation, or cost.

I also ran the unit for 24hrs on the ride. The battery drain was minimal, after 24hrs, the car started with plenty of power to spare.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:08 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone, the input so far is causing me to take another look at a portable unit. I've used the Unified Tow Brake in the past, never completely comfortable with the need to insert additional equipment in the TOAD brake system.
CaptPat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing