Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2016, 09:34 AM   #1

Anyone towing a smart car?

did a search.// nothing
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2016, 09:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
did a search.// nothing
Here is the first of a few threads i found in a quick search

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...2V4wWWwC1LNe-g
Old 10-12-2016, 12:13 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
We encountered two different people towing Smart cars on our last trip. One said he had nothing but trouble with it due to steering gyrations after turning. He had to put bungee cords on the steering wheel to stop the oscillations. The second one we encountered a few days later laughingly offered my buddy and I $20 if we would set fire to it. He was having similar steering problems in that if he turned a hard corner, the wheels would flop to one side or the other and not straighten themselves. He said it was the biggest mistake he had ever made.

That's my only two encounters with Smart cars as toads, both of them negative.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:26 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club

or we have...

Old 10-16-2016, 01:07 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The third picture I may have actually seen, but you gotta love the Smart towing a 5th Wheel
I've been told they can be flat towed, the older ones that is. You just have to put in a battery disconnect. I have seen several Smarts towed behind some of the Class C MH due to them being limited on their tow capacity.

Roadmaster makes Baseplates for them.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:10 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have towed our 2008 Smart Cabriolet for 7-8 years with good results. Occasionally we get the "death wobble" if we come out of a sharp turn quickly, but a short stop and go always resolves it. Not perfect, but all in all a good car to use this way.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean n Mike View Post
We have towed our 2008 Smart Cabriolet for 7-8 years with good results. Occasionally we get the "death wobble" if we come out of a sharp turn quickly, but a short stop and go always resolves it. Not perfect, but all in all a good car to use this way.
I had the Death Wobble with my Geo Tracker (another short wheelbase). Fixed mine with a steering stabilizer but a bungee thru the steering wheel and fastened to the seat tracks will usually stop it. Adjust the tension until the wheel turns but returns to center.

Tags
towing, tow