Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2016, 12:02 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Send a message via Yahoo to FOSJ
Anyone towing a vehicle and motorcycle?

We are currently towing 2 motorcycles in a 12' enclosed trailer and my DW follows (or leads) in our jeep. We are considering selling 1 bike and purchasing an enclosed trailer for 1 bike and the jeep. We would be extremely interested in hearing from anyone with this type setup; trailer size, brand, layout....pics would be great! Thanks
FOSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2016, 01:53 PM   #2

Are you wanting to tow behind a motor home or 5th wheel/ TT? I don't do it personally behind my trailer but my dad does behind his 5th wheel with a 5x8 utility trailer. Has a welded hitch on his 5th wheel and length is 60ft from truck to end of utility trailer.
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOSJ View Post
We are currently towing 2 motorcycles in a 12' enclosed trailer and my DW follows (or leads) in our jeep. We are considering selling 1 bike and purchasing an enclosed trailer for 1 bike and the jeep. We would be extremely interested in hearing from anyone with this type setup; trailer size, brand, layout....pics would be great! Thanks
FOSJ,
Well Sir, we've done it a few ways. I'll make this short but to the point. When I retired, we had a '99 Fleetwood Bounder, 34V with the F-53 chassis and 275HP V-10. We purchased a 7'x 16' V-nose enclosed trailer for our then, '02 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing and various accessories. It also housed a small trailer that we towed behind the Wing and a couple of bicycles. That worked great for that time frame and, how we did things.

But, as time went on, we sold that set up and, purchased our present rig, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. I purchased and installed a Hydralift on the back of it to carry our newer, 2008 Honda 1880 Goldwing. Behind it, we towed our '04 Jeep Rubicon. That was a sweet setup for sure. Yes, the bike got a little dirty while back there but, a little spritzing and wiping when we off-loaded it and, it was ready to ride. I keep my things immaculate and, I didn't like it getting dirty but, at the time, I put up with it.

But, due to various changes in life, we sold the lift, purchased a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 as a toad. I purchased and installed a Rampage motorcycle lift/carrier for the back of that truck. So, all I do is, ride the bike up to the lift, hook the front tie downs up and, push a button. The lift does all the work in loading that 900 lb. bike into the back of that truck. I add a couple more tie downs here and there and, it's done and ready to tow.

But, we are now considering getting a newer JK Rubicon and, we still want to have our Wing with us too. So, I too am considering either a trailer or, some other means. I've covered lots of posts and threads on this subject and, it's always varied on who has what and how they do things. There is no doubt that having a trailer, especially an enclosed one, will keep things extra clean and, extra secure in all situations.

But, there's also no doubt in anyone's mind that, you now have to contend with that trailer when traveling. Some will claim that it's never been a problem for finding space for it. But, we've been in several campgrounds/RV parks that simply DO NOT HAVE ADDITIONAL space for such a thing. You simply have to plan ahead and call potential campgrounds/RV parks to see what kind of accommodations they might provide for your trailer or, if they have long enough pull-throughs, see if you can reserve one.

That makes for regimented travels but, it is what it is. In any case, I (we) too are in the same boat, trailer? Not sure.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:54 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Interesting read as just this morning I began pondering this same question. I found a trailer builder at Cargo Trailers, Custom Cargo Trailers for Sale ? Trailer Showroom, where I could have built a 8 1/2 x 16 car hauler trailer that I could also add a side ramp (48") to. Probably a double ramp, that is one on each side. My goal is to load my 08 HD Ultra Classic via the side ramp(s) and then our 2015 Mini Cooper S 2-door Hard Top via the rear ramp. Additionally, when desired, I could load (only) my 67 Camaro RS.

With all of the options they have available, it appears this would all be possible and done so without spending a fortune.

Now I would be pulling this trailer with our 2010 Allegro RED 38QBA, mirrors to ladder, just over 40'. I am curious about tongue length for turning clearance, as naturally I would not want the front of the trailer to come into contact with the rear of my rig.

If you check out the website, you will find this trailer is built with two 3500lb rated axels and stronger axels can be optioned in. Along with almost anything you would want.
HD Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:10 PM   #5

We started out with a Jeep Unlimited and plans to install a Hyralift motorcycle lift onto the back of the coach. For various reasons, we sold the Jeep and bought a Ford F-150 shortbed (5.5') pickup truck. I use an aluminum LoadAll ramp which is completely manual and telescopes out and down, and a Condor wheel chock to hold the bike up along with 4 straps. The ramp keeps all weight off the tailgate (some tailgates will bend under the weight of a big bike), and when not in use, allows the tailgate to fully close. The rollup tonneau cover hides everything and it looks bone stock. The ramp can also be completely removed from the truck if additional storage space is needed. I chose this over a winch-type of ramp because it was simpler, a bit less-expensive, easily removed, and no cables to rust (I live in MN).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	304.7 KB
ID:	134095  
Old 07-25-2016, 08:45 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Interesting thread. We've also wondered the same thing. One thought we had was to put the bike on a lift behind the coach, and then have the car pulled on a flatbed (no choice on that one). My concern would then become the weight. Adding an 800# bike AND a trailer AND a car, just seems like a lot to pull. Anyway, at least I wanted to tag onto this thread for future reference to see if others have ideas.
angelbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
Interesting thread. We've also wondered the same thing. One thought we had was to put the bike on a lift behind the coach, and then have the car pulled on a flatbed (no choice on that one). My concern would then become the weight. Adding an 800# bike AND a trailer AND a car, just seems like a lot to pull. Anyway, at least I wanted to tag onto this thread for future reference to see if others have ideas.
Well Sir,
Most lift/carriers, on the back of coaches, don't allow for ANY tongue weight. They will allow you to tow at least 5,000 lbs. plus or minus. We used the Hydralift for well over 8,000 miles and loved it. We towed two different toads with that arrangement. But, as stated, we towed "toads" not trailers so, if you absolutely have to tow your car on a trailer, you may want to think about a bit longer trailer and, put the bike on the front of trailer sideways. Just a thought.
Scott
Old 07-26-2016, 09:23 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
We pull a 2015 F150 CC with a 6.5 bed and a GL1800 in the back on a Cruiserlift loader.....Nice set up. Bed cover covers it all up and tailgate closes. We had a cruiserlift on the back of the coach for the bike and I never did like it, so we switched to the bed loader and it works great. Only issue is I would like to have a golf cart as well as we will be full timing in about 2.5 weeks. Not sure what I am going to do as I can't get rid of my bike. Have thought about a golf cart carrier between the coach and the truck as I have the three receiver mount still on the coach. Time will tell I guess.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:52 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Sir,
Most lift/carriers, on the back of coaches, don't allow for ANY tongue weight. They will allow you to tow at least 5,000 lbs. plus or minus. We used the Hydralift for well over 8,000 miles and loved it. We towed two different toads with that arrangement. But, as stated, we towed "toads" not trailers so, if you absolutely have to tow your car on a trailer, you may want to think about a bit longer trailer and, put the bike on the front of trailer sideways. Just a thought.
Scott
Believe me I know it will be too much and the only reasonable choice will be to put the bike and car on the flatbed. I just wish there was a way to have a car at some locations and the bike at others. We're toying with the idea of pulling the car some places and then going back for the bike for others. That would be optimal, but probably not practical if, for example, we're in Washington state, and have to go pick up the bike in Florida.
angelbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:59 PM   #10

2 bikes and a Jeep

We have not hit the road yet but we have purchased our trailer and we are in the process of setting it up. We both ride - I have a 3 wheel Spyder and hubby has a Victory Vision. We found an open stacker trailer 20' to fit everything on. Bikes on top, Jeep on bottom. We spent a lot of time looking at a vehicle that would tow the trailer when we take it off the RV to move it around the campground. The Jeep was the only one that would tow 7200 lbs and fit on a 16' deck. An enclosed trailer would work also but costs a lot more.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160304_170646.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	134405
ezj&wings2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezj&wings2fly View Post
We have not hit the road yet but we have purchased our trailer and we are in the process of setting it up. We both ride - I have a 3 wheel Spyder and hubby has a Victory Vision. We found an open stacker trailer 20' to fit everything on. Bikes on top, Jeep on bottom. We spent a lot of time looking at a vehicle that would tow the trailer when we take it off the RV to move it around the campground. The Jeep was the only one that would tow 7200 lbs and fit on a 16' deck. An enclosed trailer would work also but costs a lot more. Attachment 134405
That is one seriously double duty system you have there. I've seen some like it in the past but, not very often. May I ask, is the 7200 lbs, the total weight of the bikes and the trailer? I'd sure like to see a picture of it all loaded up, that's way cool.
Scott
Old 07-29-2016, 08:15 AM   #12

I would also be interested where the trailer can be bought and cost.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:04 AM   #13

Total weight and trailer info

The total weight of the loaded trailer, 2 bikes plus Jeep is apx.14,000 lbs.
When the jeep is pulling the trailer with 2 bikes weight is about 7,000. Trailer is apx. 6,000 bikes apx 2,000 and Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel apx. 6,000.
Unfortunately this trailer was made by a gentleman in Lake Havasu. This is the third one he made for his personal use so we got lucky. A double stacker enclosed would do the same thing but cost around $40,000. This one cost $12,000 Also hard to find a 20ft stacker so with coach at 45 and trailer at 20 we will be legal in most states.
ezj&wings2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOSJ View Post
You might want to consider this:

RV Towing Accessories | RV Trailers, Tow Behind Trailers, Motorcycle Trailers and Tow Dollies for sale

I just sold one of the larger ones that holds two bikes and tows a car as well. They are superbly built and works well, but we travel camp in areas where we have to move the dolly around by hand, and move frequently, so loading and unloading was too cumbersome. We have decided to go with a 6x10 enclosed and take either the bike or the car, but for your purposes this might be the ticket. I can vouch for the build quality, stability, and ease of loading.
Blivet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing