Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:24 PM   #1

Anyone towing a VW New Beetle????

I have a question for anyone towing a VW New Beetle on a dolly. What has been your experience?
What year New Beetle?
What brand dolly?

Thank you in advance...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2016, 09:49 PM   #2

Bump

Old 06-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We have a 04 beetle 5 sp convertible. Started out wanting to use a trailer. Then have decided to tow it 4 down as the coach we bought already had a tow bar on it.. I have read where the tow dollies don't work so good on the Beetle cause they set so low it is hard to get them up on the Dollie.

Chuck
Chuck and Robbin Harrison....plus 2 PB and a G Pyrenees Max,Zenie and Smokie ! 1998 38' Monaco Dynasty Duke with a 8.3 Cummins. Everyday truck is a 2010 F150 XLT 4x4 and 2016 Ford Escape. TOAD is 2004 VW Bug Conv.
Migkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:42 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Finally got to the VW dealer this morning. They said it was ok to tow with all 4 wheels down ( flat tow ). Since it is a 5 speed manual transmission all i have to do is put it in neutral and go. Will have to put the key into the accessory position so the steering wheel will not lock up. Will it be ok to just unhook the positive battery cable or do i need to do something else to cut off power so as not to drain the battery?

Thanks

Chuck
Chuck and Robbin Harrison....plus 2 PB and a G Pyrenees Max,Zenie and Smokie ! 1998 38' Monaco Dynasty Duke with a 8.3 Cummins. Everyday truck is a 2010 F150 XLT 4x4 and 2016 Ford Escape. TOAD is 2004 VW Bug Conv.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMontgomer View Post
I have a question for anyone towing a VW New Beetle on a dolly. What has been your experience?
What year New Beetle?
What brand dolly?

Thank you in advance...
Anyone use a dolly?
Old 06-29-2016, 12:34 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migkiller View Post
Finally got to the VW dealer this morning. They said it was ok to tow with all 4 wheels down ( flat tow ). Since it is a 5 speed manual transmission all i have to do is put it in neutral and go. Will have to put the key into the accessory position so the steering wheel will not lock up. Will it be ok to just unhook the positive battery cable or do i need to do something else to cut off power so as not to drain the battery?

Thanks

Chuck

Are you sure there is a battery drain issue? If so, instead of battery disconnect everything just pull fuse on the item doing the draining?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:58 AM   #7

I am getting one with my class c. IT is a 2001 beetle. IT has a falcon tow bar. The seller has pulled it.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:12 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Are you sure there is a battery drain issue? If so, instead of battery disconnect everything just pull fuse on the item doing the draining?
Not sure if it will drain the battery or not. I will have to check and see if i have to put the key in accessory to keep the steering wheel unlocked. We just bought the car a few months ago. Good idea on pulling the fuse...Thanks

Chuck
Old 06-29-2016, 09:17 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by olustee bus View Post
I am getting one with my class c. IT is a 2001 beetle. IT has a falcon tow bar. The seller has pulled it.
I also have a Falcon II model 522 that came with our coach. I am going to get the Blue Ox base plate kit ( # BX 3815 ) and an adapter ( RM-031 ) so it will hook up to my tow bar. Our model Beetle is not a Type S....there is a different base plate plate kit if you have the Type S Beetle. We have the GLS model.

Chuck
Old 06-29-2016, 09:38 AM   #10

Not a Beetle but a 09 Jetta TDI DSG. We use a Master Tow 80 with surge brakes if we need to chauffeur 4 around. It is close loading but no scraping. No problem making a tight turn (46 ft turning circle). If it is going to be the two of us then we put the truck on the dolly.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migkiller View Post

Thanks

Chuck
Some people go to the trouble to disassemble the steering column and remove the locking mechanism that locks the wheel. That way, they don't need to bother with putting the key in and turning it on. If I were towing, that is what I would be doing.

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H, 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dynamics PD4645, Chill Grille, Fanstatic Fan Ultrabreeze, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
You can insert your key, turn it on (do not start) and turn it off. Do not remove the key and the steering wheel should not lock. I cannot say if there is or is not a small battery drain...likely not much. You can always run your car for twenty minutes or so to keep it charged if necessary.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Not a Beetle but a 09 Jetta TDI DSG. We use a Master Tow 80 with surge brakes if we need to chauffeur 4 around. It is close loading but no scraping. No problem making a tight turn (46 ft turning circle). If it is going to be the two of us then we put the truck on the dolly.
What is the measurement from front bumper (or low point) in line with your front tire to the ground? Thanks.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:04 AM   #14

I went and measured the height to the front valance on the 09 Jetta. It is exactly 8 inches. Master Tow sells riser plates for cars with low front valance, but I did not need them The dolly ramps are welded to the dolly table (table and ramps tilt for loading), so the clearance is always the same regardless what the terrain is like. Since the Jetta is a DSG, we tow with the trans in park, key out, parking brake off. I use the magnetic tow lights even though the dolly has a complete set of LED lights. The dolly weighs about 325 lbs but is easy to maneuver unloaded unless you are in mud. We rotate towing between four different vehicles so flat towing setups would be really expensive.

Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing