Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
Within the last 2 weeks I checked with all the major base plate mfgs. and none of them had the base plates yet for the 2013 MKZ.
I just received an update from Blue Ox that they will have a '13 Lincoln MKZ in for fitting in July. If it requires custom updating, they expect that the latest that they will have a baseplate is sometime in August.http://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/thumb.gif
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
We tow a 2011 Fusion Hybrid and use the Blue Ox Patriot braking system. We have a charge line from the MH and set the brake to level 2 and have towed about 8000 miles without a dead batt. After turning the air cond to max and putting the trans in neutral I just turn the key all the way back and that is all there is to it. It has been a very good car to tow and we enjoy driving it very much.
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #17

I just ordered the Roadmaster Base Plate/mounting bracket for the 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid from roadmaster-tow-bars.com. I believe this is the first company to come out with the base plate for the 13 MKZ Hybrid
stevedenesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:02 AM   #18
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedenesha View Post
I just ordered the Roadmaster Base Plate/mounting bracket for the 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid from roadmaster-tow-bars.com. I believe this is the first company to come out with the base plate for the 13 MKZ Hybrid
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Steve. I bought the Blue Ox baseplate for the 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid, it was a bear to install,and personally, i would have had it installed by a professional, if I had it to do over again. BUT, that said, I do love the hidden aspect,when you aren't using it,it is nearly invisible. Picture attached
Another thing is to have a Diode taillight device installed. I don't like the bulb and wire type device (kind of hokey). The diode from Blue Ox on Amazon was about $50 nada local trailer sales outfit charged me $170 to install it. Money well spent in my opinion.

I just tested it out this week. Everything worked great.
I took one posters advice to put the trans in neutral, turn the key to accessory, turn off the climate control and the center display . I may opt to use the neutral override procedure IF I have battery depletion problems.

Good luck with your setup.
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3619356588.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	436.0 KB
ID:	42684   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-423732242.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	475.2 KB
ID:	42685  

Old 07-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #20

Nor'easters Club
Steve, don't forget your aux breaking system must work with electric brakes( full time). Also...tail lights on my 12 mkz are led, 6 volts! I use a light bar.
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
Steve, don't forget your aux breaking system must work with electric brakes( full time). Also...tail lights on my 12 mkz are led, 6 volts! I use a light bar.
I decided on going with the Elite ReadyBrute with the Readystop Breakaway kit. I believe this should work ok with the hybrid. I did decide on going with the diode Blue Ox Bulb & Socket Wiring Kit and to protect the 13 MKZ, I decided on the Protect A Tow. Until doing a lot of research, I didn't realize how involved setting up a car to tow was!
Old 07-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #22

Quote:
I decided on going with the Elite ReadyBrute with the Readystop Breakaway kit. I believe this should work ok with the hybrid. I did decide on going with the diode Blue Ox Bulb & Socket Wiring Kit and to protect the 13 MKZ, I decided on the Protect A Tow. Until doing a lot of research, I didn't realize how involved setting up a car to tow was!
Good move, Steve. Don't let anyone tell you the Ford Hybrids have electric brakes. If you look under the hood, you'll find a master cylinder filled with good old stinky brake fluid just like every other car you have owned.

When you're driving it, the hybrid system does slow the car by making the electric motor generate electricity to charge the battery. That's the whole idea of a hybrid, free energy. But when that isn't enough, your foot pushes on the master cylinder, that creates pressure in the system and that applies four very conventional disc brakes at the wheels. When the key is off, the hydraulic brakes do the full job. Your ReadyBrake will do just fine, if adjusted properly. Remember to apply the pedal several times to empty the vacuum reservoir before you hook up and adjust the cable.

I have a ReadyBrake on my Ford CMax Hybrid and it works just fine.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #23

Nor'easters Club
The point here is the brakes on the hybrid ,engine off , do not need the pressure that a conventional vehicle requires. That is why brake buddy has a new product just for hybrids, others systems ,as I understand it can be adjusted to accommodate the difference.Brake Buddy explanation is electricity is used to help the power assist feature of the brake,vs engine generated vacum, thus the term full time brakes.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
The point here is the brakes on the hybrid ,engine off , do not need the pressure that a conventional vehicle requires. That is why brake buddy has a new product just for hybrids, others systems ,as I understand it can be adjusted to accommodate the difference.Brake Buddy explanation is electricity is used to help the power assist feature of the brake,vs engine generated vacum, thus the term full time brakes.
The hydraulic brakes have a vacuum booster, just like all cars. There is an electrically driven vacuum pump to provide vacuum when the car is running on pure electric. Ignition off on the CMax, no vacuum. Some people have reported that on their Fusions, the pump will run anyway. Jury is out on that one. It's not hard to find our. Just coast down a small hill with the ignition off, pump the brakes, see if it gets harder to stop. Not rocket science.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #25

Nor'easters Club
Yup I agree, that is how I confirmed brake buddy's comments...my brakes are "electric " full time, engine on or off. Sorry if I was splitting hairs, but the issue remains, hybrid brakes on the mkz require less pressure than non hybrid vehicles and I only suggest that any supplemental brake system take that into account.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Has anyone received an update yet on when baseplates will be available for the MKZ?
Old 07-27-2013, 11:23 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormleys View Post
Has anyone received an update yet on when baseplates will be available for the MKZ?
I was given 4-5 weeks about 1 week ago (16Jul) by a Blu OX Rep so you should be able to order in about 3-4 weeks. I can't wait that long as I'm planning a long trip the end of Aug and decided on the Roadmaster EZ Tow Bar Mounting Bracket part number: 524436-5. I ordered the Roadmaster plate on 18 Jul but they haven't shipped it out yet - hopefully it will ship next week!
Steve
Old 08-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What are you going to use for a braking system with the MKZ?

Tags
ford, towing