Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #1

Anyone Towing Ford Fusion Hybrid or Lincoln MKZ?

My existing toad is 10 years old and we are looking for a new one. I like the looks of the Ford/Lincoln Fusion/MKZ Hybrids and am wondering if there are any experiences (good and bad) out there. Thanks, Jim, W8JM, 2005 Dutchstar

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Up until 2 week ago we towed a 2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, with no problem except running the battery down once, learned from that experience.

legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:55 AM   #3

I'm towing a Ford C Max Hybrid which has the same drive train as the the two cars you mentioned.

It works fine except for battery problems. There's too much stuff running while the key (or keyless system) is in the accessory position. The first few tows, the 12V battery craps out after about 3 hours. This decreases every time as the battery is destroyed by being totally discharged. I always carry a Stanley Simple Start to jump it after towing.

Either run a charge line from your coach or try this suggestion from a poster on the C Max Forum. Look in your owner's manual for the shift lock override procedure. It will tell you how to manually override the shift lock and move the lever from Park to Neutral without turning on the key. Works like a champ on the C Max. No more battery drain than when it's sitting in your garage with the key off.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #4

How do you unlock the steering column on the Ford Cmax hybrid without a key in the accessory position? Also, my Fusion hybrid has a display OFF for the center display and I am told that the dash display goes off after the door is shut. Also turn off the climate control. Haven't got the base plate on yet, but going to do so soon.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
We tow a 12 mkz hybrid ...important note..if you use a supplemental brake like brake buddy, be sure they are for full time brakes...ie: power assist with the engine off...(electric brakes) vs vacuum assist which require engine running. Brake buddy has a special model...
ditto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #6

The C Max for sure does not have a steering lock. Fusion is probably the same.

As for brakes, they are not electric, just plain old hydraulic. There is an electrically driven vacuum pump which provides vacuum to the brake booster when you're driving. With the Ready Brake system there is no need for boost anyway, so no problem.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #7

Within the last 2 weeks I checked with all the major base plate mfgs. and none of them had the base plates yet for the 2013 MKZ.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #8

Ditto.. Do you feel your brake buddy is necessary and how much did it cost you?

Do you you pull you MHz with a Winnie? What size? Ours is a 30 ft sightseer, gas engine V10
Thanks
Old 04-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH347 View Post
Ditto.. Do you feel your brake buddy is necessary and how much did it cost you?

Do you you pull you MHz with a Winnie? What size? Ours is a 30 ft sightseer, gas engine V10
Thanks
If you ever have to stop in a real hurry you'll be glad you had brake help.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
I tow with a 43' 450hp TOUR..but supplemental brakes are required in many states...I purchase mine from amazon. Try PPL motorhome store too. Around $1200
ditto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
I'm towing a Ford C Max Hybrid which has the same drive train as the the two cars you mentioned.

It works fine except for battery problems. There's too much stuff running while the key (or keyless system) is in the accessory position. The first few tows, the 12V battery craps out after about 3 hours. This decreases every time as the battery is destroyed by being totally discharged. I always carry a Stanley Simple Start to jump it after towing.

Either run a charge line from your coach or try this suggestion from a poster on the C Max Forum. Look in your owner's manual for the shift lock override procedure. It will tell you how to manually override the shift lock and move the lever from Park to Neutral without turning on the key. Works like a champ on the C Max. No more battery drain than when it's sitting in your garage with the key off.
I just bought a cmax and saw this thread. So I thought I would try something. It works bit since I don't you're it yurt I thought I would ask.
What happens if you go acc, put it in neutral then switch off (keyless)? Will it work that way and not run the battery down?
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #12

That's what we've been talking about. Ford says, "Put it in neutral, push the
Start/Stop button and start towing". It works, but in 3 hours the battery will be dead. Next time, less than three hours and so on until the battery is toast.

Only solution so far is run a charge line or manually override the Brake Shift Interlock to put it in neutral without turning the car on. C Max owner's manual, by the way, is dead wrong on how to do the override so refer to previous post to find out how to do it.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Guess I missed the part where it was being "turned off" again. I don't see where the procedure was given to bypass the shift lock in this thread, just the referral to the manual. Maybe I'm dense which dw often claims
Old 06-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Found the discussion on the cmax forum for those who might be interested. It is here;
http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic...or-home/page-2

Tags
ford, towing