Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2010, 06:18 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Anyone tried the new Blue Ox Patriot system?

I am researching which brake system to buy for flat towing our 2005 Tahoe behind our 2006 Endeavor. We have never used a brake helper system as we usually tow an enclosed trailer with electric brakes. I am leaning towards the Patriot system because of its simple design, built in battery, and ability to actuate toad brakes from motorhome wireless dash control. My reluctance is because it is a new system that uses an electric actuator vs the common air cylinder. I have not seen any posts on it yet (if I did the search correctly). Anyone used this system?
chattacuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2010, 06:45 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattacuda View Post
I am researching which brake system to buy for flat towing our 2005 Tahoe behind our 2006 Endeavor. We have never used a brake helper system as we usually tow an enclosed trailer with electric brakes. I am leaning towards the Patriot system because of its simple design, built in battery, and ability to actuate toad brakes from motorhome wireless dash control. My reluctance is because it is a new system that uses an electric actuator vs the common air cylinder. I have not seen any posts on it yet (if I did the search correctly). Anyone used this system?
If your Monaco is 07 and up it is pre-wired for the US Gear Unified tow brake. I use it and it works great. You might want to also look at M&G and SMI braking systems.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #3

Hi I am new to this site and was looking at the forums and was really impressed so I joined. There is a lot of knowledge on this site that will really help when we get ready for a new RV.

On my 1996 Pace Arrow and 2004 Tahoe the UTB1000 will not work as the Tahoe does not have a brake booster. The way I understand it is my Tahoe brakes run off of the PS pump. Just something to check on.
NIFFIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I was wondering the same thing. Going to buy a system but didn't know
I thought it looked OK.
Don
Old 03-20-2010, 05:57 PM   #5

Just had a M&G installed on my suburban but have not towed yet.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:38 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I just ordered the Blu Ox Patriot system today. i like the
simpicity and its own rechargeable battery.Delivery after Mar/26 and
reasonably priced. One touch setup.
Don
Old 03-23-2010, 06:51 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Donlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donlock View Post
Well I just ordered the Blu Ox Patriot system today. i like the
simpicity and its own rechargeable battery.Delivery after Mar/26 and
reasonably priced. One touch setup.
Don
Let me know how you like it if you don't mind. I really like the design too but remail leery about the experience. I called and talked to Blue Ox and asked for test reports and they would not provide any info. We leave for a big trip in mid May and I want something reliable. thanks
Old 03-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
NIFFIT was right, my Tahoe has hydraulic assist brakes from the power steering pump and not vacuum, so that limits me to a suitcase brake system or the air cylinder system that mounts in the floorboard. I am leaning to the roadmaster system now since the Blue Ox Patriot is so late coming out; I hate being on the "bleeding" edge of technology Hopefully Donlock will get his soon and road test it for us!
Old 04-18-2010, 05:52 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Went with the brakemaster system

We bit the bullet and had the Brakemaster system installed at the Chattanooga Camping World. Very pleased with the service and the product. The technician said he liked the brakemaster since it worked even at low speeds when inertia systems dont trigger. Time will tell but is sure is easy to take in and out and takes up very little storage space
Old 04-27-2010, 06:20 AM   #10

Grand Design Owners Club
M&G Engineering lists a unit available for the Tahoe. I use this on our Trailblazer and it works well.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #11

I don't have the Blue Ox Patriot, but I do have the D-Brake Professional Tow Brake, which is the same exact unit except it is shipped right from the manufacturer. So far it works great with my Jeep.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:10 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Finally got a chance to test our Patriot system on our first "real" trip. Towed from northern VA area to Sevierville, TN and back ( about 900 total). We were pulling a 2001 Honda Accord. Left the brake setting at the default of "5". The Patriot was quick to set up and performed as advertised. According to the remote in the MH, no false braking activity occurred in the Accord. Was very pleased with the unit.
sfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:11 PM   #13

Glad to hear your good experience with the Patriot. I got mine at our last rally too. The service tech installed it and serviced by Aventa at the same time. Great people to work with... they always go out of their way it seems and I believe them to be honest people.
lucky leo is offline   Reply With Quote