Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #1

Anyone with advice on doing their own Remco pump installation?

We're going from fifth wheel to motor home rv'ing.

Trailering a toad is about as appealing to me as using a dolly. I want to have a toad and I want it four on the ground.

We have a 2002 Bravada (prettiest of the Envoy/Trailblazer family). We know this vehicle inside and out and it is my first choice for the toad. It's loaded and it's AWD. The transmission is the same four speed automatic that is in the Tahoes etc. Remco makes a pump kit for it. And Remco says they have two dealers here in the Dallas area that can install it for us.

I would rather do the installation myself. It's not the money thing. It's the control thing. It's kinda like the reason I dislike the concept of surgery on my eyes, they have a bad day and I end up with a bad life. I really don't want someone mad at their boss or wife working on something that important if I have any other option.

So if anyone has done the installation themselves I would like to get some input. If anyone has a Remco pump on a GM all wheel drive like a Tahoe, Trailblazer, Envoy, Ranier, etc I would like to hear about it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2016, 11:59 AM   #2

Did my own install 5 years ago .
Instructions with kit were good.
Luckily , coach had wiring from front to rear that I was able to use.

One thing with the kit , I didn't trust , was the trans pan , oil pick up fitting .
The style supplied , would only work on a perfectly, smooth/ flat surface, so I bought a pipe threaded fitting instead and drilled and tapped the side of the pan, instead of the gasket type fitting.

Question though .

I didn't think any AWD transfer cases were flat tow able, are you sure yours is?

EDIT: Just back from the Remco web site.
Can't find info on AWD , just 4wd & 2wd.

www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php

I don't think the transfer case will handle 4 down , check your owners manual .

Old 07-03-2016, 12:22 PM   #3

When I put in the info in the Remco site it said the pump kit would do the trick. I'm sure in the next week or so I will find a lot more information on the plausibility of using the Bravada.

I just new schooled it (YouTube) and the factory installation video looks like something I can do.

How have the diodes worked out for you? A couple of years ago I built a custom truck bed for a friend whose toad was a pickup. He wanted to toad to carry his Razor. I didn't use the diodes and instead used three way toggles for the light set up. I was worried about the diodes because I've heard they fail often.

And there was the lights, 384 LED bulbs go all excited when he hit the brakes when the running lights were on, see photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	338.8 KB
ID:	131931  
Old 07-03-2016, 12:31 PM   #4

I'm having fits with this site when it comes to photos and editing, double doggone darn.

When I put in the make, model, and AWD Remco says the kit will work unless I'm missing something.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:33 PM   #5

Only issue I had with diodes , was , I should have soldered the connectors instead of just crimping , had to go in and re-do during the second season, of use.

I'll re-check web site , I must have missed something when I put your info in.
Couldn't get AWD to come up.

EDIT: Photo posting requires re-sizing first , has been my experience.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:34 PM   #6

Here's another attempt at uploading photo.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	28
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	131932  
Old 07-03-2016, 12:40 PM   #7

2002 Oldsmobile Bravada AWD drive, under drive there is two options, AWD and FWD. The description says the AWD uses the same kit as other GM products with that 4 speed automatic transmission.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Only issue I had with diodes , was , I should have soldered the connectors instead of just crimping , had to go in and re-do during the second season, of use.

I'll re-check web site , I must have missed something when I put your info in.
Couldn't get AWD to come up.

EDIT: Photo posting requires re-sizing first , has been my experience.
IPad Pro, sizing is a pain in the butt, don't want to go there.

If the photo of the truck comes up imagine it behind a Newmar fifth wheel, dual tandem model, behind a Schwalbe Peterbuilt hauler. So much could go wrong with the electrical circuits so I went with the three way toggles hidden in the truck bed.

Up: lights work off of toad
Middle: no lights at all
Down: lights work off of hauler

I also figured this was a decent anti-theft device because if the toggles were in the middle or down position there's wouldn't be any lights and cops would like that.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	27
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	131934  
Old 07-03-2016, 01:00 PM   #9

OK, my mistake was forgetting Bravada was the Olds nameplate , can't get the AWD info by looking in Chevy.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:09 PM   #10

Remco on 2014 Dodge Journey

I installed a Remco pump on my Journey about six months ago and driven about 4000 miles since without any issues. The installation was pretty easy with good instructions.

My only beef was they only give you 50' of wiring that comes attached to the plug, I have a 40' coach and was about 6 feet short, really pissed me off.

Apart from that it runs like a champ.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosserhughes View Post
I installed a Remco pump on my Journey about six months ago and driven about 4000 miles since without any issues. The installation was pretty easy with good instructions.

My only beef was they only give you 50' of wiring that comes attached to the plug, I have a 40' coach and was about 6 feet short, really pissed me off.

Apart from that it runs like a champ.
Did they have an extension you could order or did they assume you were a completely equipped shop that would have made the perfect wiring harness anyway? LOL. I would have been upset too.

Best thing about me is very wary of the pump because, well, she's that type of personality, don't know how she got hooked up with me, lucky I guess. That's kind of funny because I can see a previous client showing up and wanting me to install the pump kit on their RV and Tow'd.

It looks like right now that we will be renting Enterprise for a couple of weeks for our annual time in the mountains outside of Mormon Lake/Happy Jack Arizona in August. I hate rent cars.

Tags
advice, install