Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Anyone with experience selling their toad?

We recently sold our motorhome and likely won't buy another. Therefore we won't be towing anymore and so we're looking at selling our Saturn toad.
We aren't sure if the towing hardware on the car increases or decreases the NADA used car value, or if we should even market the car as a towable.

Would like to hear from anyone who has has experience selling their toad. Specifically, did you sell it as a towable package or simply a used vehicle with towing hardware attached? Did anyone remove or have to remove the hardware to make it more saleable? Did anyone figure in the towed miles for estimating value?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm sure you could list it here in the classifieds if you want to sell it as a toad. It wouldn't take away from the value in that case but if you tried to trade it in, it would be a different story. Most car dealerships don't want to see a towing set-up on the car. They will take it in trade and you'll probably take the hit but they would remove the towing accessories before they try and sell it for sure. The choice is obviously yours but if you're not in a hurry you may want to post it on the sites classifieds and see what might happen. Another idea is to contact a local RV Dealer and see if they would take it on consignment and sell it for you. Good Luck.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What Steve said. Post on line.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe & Bonnie View Post
We recently sold our motorhome and likely won't buy another. Therefore we won't be towing anymore and so we're looking at selling our Saturn toad.
We aren't sure if the towing hardware on the car increases or decreases the NADA used car value, or if we should even market the car as a towable.

Would like to hear from anyone who has has experience selling their toad. Specifically, did you sell it as a towable package or simply a used vehicle with towing hardware attached? Did anyone remove or have to remove the hardware to make it more saleable? Did anyone figure in the towed miles for estimating value?

I would imagine the towing hardware would detract from the value for everyone except those looking specifically for a toad with the specific hardware you have. And for those folks, the value would not be significantly increased because they know the car's actually run many more miles than is shown on the clock.

I second the suggestion to post it on the classifieds here and see if there is interest.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #5

We ran from cars towed by motorhomes when ppl were trading them in, just because we knew those wheels likely turned double the mileage than that show on the odometer. I'm just sayin. That's the industry's POV.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #6

You might want to look at the post by gfpeter on this forum. He is looking/researching for a vechile to tow. Could be a good fit for both of you.
dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #7

Ours sold as a Toad.
"There's an ass for every seat."
Old 07-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #8

Here's my experience in selling a toad.

I've sold 3 toads in the last 6 years. Two were small pickups and one was a Jeep. The pickup buyers were delighted to find a small pickup all set up to tow and I actually got more than NADA because they WERE set up to tow. If you price out how much it will cost to set up a car/truck to tow you are looking at a minimum of $1000 and likely $2 or 3,000. and in some cases, even more. So a smart shopper is happy to find something he can use without shelling out a lot of money to get it ready to go. The Jeep buyer was basically looking for a Jeep, but didn't plan on removing any of the equipment as "I may want to tow it someday anyway".

I think the key to selling a Toad is to advertise it where RV people are looking. My last sale, a 2007 Toyota Tacoma was advertised here on Irv2. I had two calls within 2 days and sold it to one of the callers. Craigs list is a good place as well, and it doesn't cost anything! Get some good pictures so people can really look over your car....it goes a long way in getting them to make that all important first call!

Jim J '02 Monaco Diplomat/'09 Jeep Rubicon
jwjoub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
To someone looking for a dinghy, it would be worth a little extra to get one set up. To non-RVers, the towing accessories are worthless and may reduce the saleability of the dinghy as a plain car.

I doubt to an RVer, they would pay as much as $1000 more to get $3000 plus in used accessories.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad