Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:13 PM   #15

Agreed that pictures would help a great deal. I can't imagine the ratchets letting loose. Once tightened mine are a bit difficult to get to release. Something must be installed incorrectly or defective.

Do us a favor, before claiming defeat on the issue take a picture of how your are threading the strap into the ratchet so we can help you out. I am bettin git is something simple that needs to be corrected.

We would all love to help if you will open up to the idea.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 07:53 PM   #16

My straps stretch a little bit over a long drive, especially one that has a lot of turns and the toad may pull back an inch or two. However, if you attach your safety chains correctly you are not going to lose your toad off the EZE-Tow. I've been using the EZE-Tow for 3+ years and over 25K miles and haven't lost the toad yet. I usually buy a new pair of straps every year because they do stretch over time.

WM

Old 04-23-2015, 08:58 PM   #17

Thank you all, when I pick up KAMPURR next time I will take some photos.

Dave
Old 04-24-2015, 06:41 AM   #18
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The ACME "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly

Kampurr, it is possible that you have one or two defective winches. Our previous vendor had sent us a small batch of defective winches some time back. Please email us an address that we can send you new set of winches to. Send us a picture of your straps on the tire also, if necessary we can send you a larger set of straps. acmetowdolly@gmail.com
Old 04-24-2015, 08:51 AM   #19

Those winches are junk and will pop loose, just came back from Fla. and had both winches not both at the same time pop loose after hitting a pot hole which are unavoidable in Pa and NY. There should be some sort of lock on them. Had same problem a year ago and they sent a new set but still these aren't any better than the first set. Amazing the company is using the customers to do their R&D.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:26 PM   #20

While towing, I want to be worried about driving only, NOT whether my vehicle is in jeopardy.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:24 AM   #21
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Jergeod, please send us a picture of your winches with them sitting flat on a table. If you have the chance send a picture of the your car strapped down.
Since that small defective batch of winches we have sent out over 15,000 of these new winches and we are not having any issues at all with them.
If you can provide us with the last numbers of the VIN that would be helpful also, that will tell us when you purchased your dolly.
We have made several significant improvements to our dolly since you purchased yours. Let me know if you interested in making any updates and we can help you with that.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:40 AM   #22

FWIW Using a Stehl tow. First time out one side came loose. Put it back together and towed 1500 miles. Stopped and checked every 5-10 miles and got an extra click out of the winches a couple of times then everything settled in. I don't think I got a click out of one side but did get one out of the other after the first day. None after that. Will see how it works going home in a few days but so far it seems to just be the straps settling in. That is not unusual for webbing in any service. It's all part of the setup and learning curves in my book.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:44 AM   #23

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMPURR View Post
While towing, I want to be worried about driving only, NOT whether my vehicle is in jeopardy.
I think this would be a concern whether flat towing or dolly towing. I recently saw a post "Have you ever lost a toad"? Several mentioned pins shearing or tow bar failing. Each method has there own set of risk, but your personal comfort is important. I did notice in Acme video the straps in demo video had stretch over tire more by the time they unloaded toad. I am happy to see Acme at least offering to help elevate customer concerns and issues.
quad80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:35 PM   #24

Acme is awesome. I am the problem.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:28 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZE Tow View Post
Jergeod, please send us a picture of your winches with them sitting flat on a table. If you have the chance send a picture of the your car strapped down.
Since that small defective batch of winches we have sent out over 15,000 of these new winches and we are not having any issues at all with them.
If you can provide us with the last numbers of the VIN that would be helpful also, that will tell us when you purchased your dolly.
We have made several significant improvements to our dolly since you purchased yours. Let me know if you interested in making any updates and we can help you with that.
Is there something to look for with the defective winches? Do they not work from the start or is it something I should check on mine as well. We bought it last August if that is a help.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:57 AM   #26
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly

To clarify on the defective winches. For a 4 week window, Nov/Dec 2013 we were supplied with a small batch of defective winches. Once it was brought to our attention we quickly changed suppliers and notified everyone in that window. We then reshipped new winches to everyone. It is possible but not probable that someone was not notified. The winches do not fail gradually. They fail from the beginning.
The issue is that the locking bar was not properly drilled and is asymmetrical. Resulting in the locking tooth not fully engaging on one side. Under intense pressure, like a very tight turn, the winch can release and loosen several teeth positions. There were 38 affected dollies to our knowledge.
If you have any concerns you can simply send us a picture of the winches/ locking bar, sitting on a table. The asymmetry would be apparent in the picture.
As a result of this incident we started a customer data base that allows us to select time windows and send out service bulletins, advisories or recalls as needed.
Hope that helps.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:03 PM   #27

One thing to note is when you tie off the excess strap that you dont pull it over the locking bar. I could see that removing some of the tension on the locking bar. The video shows pulling the strap up allong the spool and not across the locking bar.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:38 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
KAMPURR,
Did you install the winches or did they come installed. I did the upgrade on an older model and put one upside down. After tightening down, it came loose, discovered the problem and installed it correctly. No more problems..

NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly