Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2016, 12:05 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Are the 2016 Colorado shifting problems solved??

I have been following the long post and have held off buying a new Colorado to see if the transfer case shifting problem had been solved. I haven't seen much if the problem has been solved on the newer models or if the computer flash really fixed the problems that were on the earlier models.

Thanks for any input. I would like to get a new truck before next travel season. The Tacoma has been great, just the color doesn't match the new MH.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2016, 04:50 PM   #2

Brobox, I had the software update done to mine in January and have not had anymore issues. We just got home after 1900 mile trip.

Hope this helps as I traded a 2007 Tacoma for the Canyon and can tell you it is a really nice truck. Very happy with it. Hope this helps.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:58 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
That helps a lot Tom, thanks, especially from a previous Tacoma owner.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:02 AM   #4

Anyone know if the Auto 4wd transfer case used in the Duramax diesel models has any issue? According to the manual the Dmax model has an AWD\4wd on-demand transfer case but does retain the neutral position so it is supposed to still be flat towable. Anyone with a Dmax Colorado with experience flat towing?
Old 04-05-2016, 10:32 AM   #5

I don't think the dealers have gotten any of the new Dmax Canyons. I keep watching and checking with my dealer. Now they are saying late spring/early summer.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
I don't think the dealers have gotten any of the new Dmax Canyons. I keep watching and checking with my dealer. Now they are saying late spring/early summer.
That would explain why I don't see any in inventory locally. Really want to test drive one. I'm a long time Toyota guy but the diesel option has me really intrigued.
PbdBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:36 PM   #7

Mine has the latest reflash. I've never had any issues getting mine back into 2WD from Neutral, but the last time I tried to tow my Colorado it hiccupped while trying to shift the T-case into Neutral. Had to abandon the Colorado and have it taken to the dealer via flatbed wrecker. They said if it happened again to do the same thing, as there was nothing I could do roadside to correct the issue.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine94 View Post
Mine has the latest reflash. I've never had any issues getting mine back into 2WD from Neutral, but the last time I tried to tow my Colorado it hiccupped while trying to shift the T-case into Neutral. Had to abandon the Colorado and have it taken to the dealer via flatbed wrecker. They said if it happened again to do the same thing, as there was nothing I could do roadside to correct the issue.
And how they did they resolve the problem?
Old 04-05-2016, 07:13 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
That really bothers me if the Colorado's are still having transfer case problems. Any comments for 2016 owners or have there been no problems?
Old 04-06-2016, 05:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
And how they did they resolve the problem?
"Relearned ATC motor position", whatever the heck that means.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:32 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My neighbor just took delivery of a diesel Canyon SLT (ordered it). We installed the tow bar and Ready Brute system in my garage. Routing the cable for the Ready Brute took some doing, but worked well with no sharp bends. We fed it through the firewall, where the fender well joint meets.

We took it for the first test tow the other day. My neighbor was a little concerned about shifting it into neutral and not getting it to come back. We both looked at the instructions in the Manual and they're poorly written. I have a 2012 Silverado and it says with the engine on, place the truck in Neutral and then shift to 4WD Neutral by holding the 4WD knob to the right for about 10 seconds. In the Canyon book, it doesn't say to start the engine. I know that it's a given, to start the engine, but it should say that.

We got it into Neutral and took it for a tow. I drove the motor home while my neighbor watched how the brakes applied in the truck. We were able to adjust the cable perfectly, since he has two lights on his dash, one that lights when the Ready Brute engages and one that lights when the brake pedal in the truck moves.

I guess the issues arise with disconnecting and connecting the battery. We connected the battery, started the truck and put it in Neutral. Shifted it into 2WD and everything worked as it should.

While my neighbor waited four months for his truck, he read every forum to see if someone had figured out why the battery has to be disconnected. I know GM says so it won't damage the power steering, but there has to be a fuse or disconnect for the steering somewhere. Hopefully, someone will figure it out, so you don't have to disconnect the battery.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:13 PM   #12

If you look up transfer case shifting issues you will find the same general problems with all GM 4wd's so it doesn't look like this is a Colorado specific issue. I know GM says to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery but I think you could just as well put a disconnect solenoid on the positive cable and accomplish the desired effect. They probably recommend disconnecting the negative side because if you do it with a wrench that's the safe thing to do.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine94 View Post
"Relearned ATC motor position", whatever the heck that means.
It looks like you can save a tow truck ride should the transfer case get stuck if you're so inclined. This guy explains how:

Old 04-08-2016, 05:28 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Don, thank you for the detailed information. You must be the only one that has a friend that has a 2016 Colorado that pays attention to this forum.
I really appreciate the report. I will also be installing a Ready Brute.

Tags
colorado, ems, problems