Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:06 AM   #1

Are the new Subarus flat towable or not?

A recent issue of the FMCA magazine, Motorcoaching, had a brief article that said that Subaru is now reneging on the towability of their cars. I am considering one of these, but now am hesitant because of this. Has anyone heard anything new in this regard? Seems like the corporate lawyers are getting into this.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2016, 11:11 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
If I was in your position, I would look on the Subaru website and see if they happen to have an online owner manual of the model you are interested in. The website SHOULD have the latest version of the owner manual.

Once I downloaded it, then I would search for Recreational Towing or Dingy Towing or some related phrase. If you can flat tow, there will be a list of instructions to properly tow your toad.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:56 PM   #3

Suburu has said no towing of 2016's even though they are the same as the 2015's. If you want to keep your new car warranty then you need to look elsewhere or buy a used 2015. I may pick up a 2015 Crosstrek later for towing to replace my Malibu.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:25 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I purchased the 2016 Forester as a towed. After reading some posts, I began to wonder if had made a mistake. However, I have just made my first trip and all is well.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The transmission didn't change, but the warranty did. Caveat emptor, and all that.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:19 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The transmission didn't change, but the warranty did. Caveat emptor, and all that.
And you have to wonder why the warranty changed? A guess would be some issues cropping up. I was looking a while back at them but wanted my warranty. Went with my Ford Focus and love it so far.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:52 PM   #7

We tow a 2013 Subi Crosstrek. Over 10,000 miles on it with no problems at all.
As for the 2016...I talked with my local Subi's service mgr and basically there has been no change in the manual tranny drivetrains from 2013 to 2016.
Only thing he is aware of is that the 2016 Subi's (manual trans) are now not recommended to be flat towed for any length of time. He's citing the info thet he received that warranty issues had come up on previous years, that were the owners fault, not Subaru, but couldn't be proven, so warranty work was preformed.
Biggest problem was from owners forgetting to unlock the ignition, and towing for several miles, totally destroying the tranny and all wheel drive system. Big bucks to replace, and the owner would innocently say he had turned the ignition to the acc position.
By now recommending that the 2016 manual trans Subi's not be flat towed, it gets Subaru off the hook for warranty repairs.
My 2 cents...look for a well taken care of 2015 manual trans, and tow away. You are covered by any remaining warranty.
Being the careful double check everything I hook up, if I had to buy a new toad tomorrow, it would be a 2016 Subi.
Grumpy
Old 07-01-2016, 03:30 PM   #8

I towed a 2010, all wheel drive, stick, Forester, w/o a problem, but know nothing about the newer ones.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
W
My 2 cents...look for a well taken care of 2015 manual trans, and tow away. You are covered by any remaining warranty.
Being the careful double check everything I hook up, if I had to buy a new toad tomorrow, it would be a 2016 Subi.
Grumpy
And the 2015 Crosstrek comes with the backup camera standard, a nice feature.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow