Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2015, 05:49 PM   #1

Are tow bars interchangable?

We just acquired a 2002 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40PWD.

Right now, finances are a bit low, so we are considering four down towing our 02 Silverado K-3500. I understand it is a bit heavy, but should be do-able for awhile.

My question is: If we have a base plate installed on the truck, and buy a tow bar that can handle its size and weight, can we later use that same tow bar to tow a much smaller, lighter car. We know the base plate will not be re-usable, but hope that the tow bar will be. Trying to keep expenses down as much as we can.

Thanks

Ken Gasbarri
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2015, 05:52 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yes! You would need to buy new base plates. Make sure your hitch rating can handle the weight of the pick up.
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:03 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I tow a 3000lb car with a 10,000lb bar!
Old 01-21-2015, 05:58 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you mean can a base plate made by Blue ox be used with a Roadmaster (or some other company) tow bar the answer is: Sometimes.

There are 3 ways it goes, depending on who made the base plate and who made the tow bar, also what MODEL base plate you have (And what model tow bar)

100% compatable.
Will work with an adapter (Way cheaper than a new bar/base)
Will not work together.

Alas, I am not good enough to give you a list.

True story (Short): When I went to get the baseplate installed, I told 'em I needed a Blue-Ox unit.. Another customer in the hitch store said "Oh, so Blue-Ox is the best, I responded that I had Blue-Ox tow bars so far as I was concerned it was the ONLY.

That said I do know several Roadmaster models work well with Blue-Ox or the other way around,, but I do not know which ones.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:01 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes if the new base plate matches the tow bar, or the tow bar has interchangeable ends to accommodate various base plate vendors.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraginRat View Post
My question is: If we have a base plate installed on the truck, and buy a tow bar that can handle its size and weight, can we later use that same tow bar to tow a much smaller, lighter car? We know the base plate will not be re-usable, but hope that the tow bar will be. Trying to keep expenses down as much as we can.
Thanks
Ken Gasbarri
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Yes if the new base plate matches the tow bar, or the tow bar has interchangeable ends to accommodate various base plate vendors.
vsheetz

IMO, that is the best, (and only), answer to Ken's simple question, (any other tow bar, and/or base plate, information is unnecessary "fluff").
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:30 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ken, buy a 10k tow bar from Craigslist, Ebay, etc. and fabricate the mounts for your pickup. Utilizing the frame "horns" made this a very simple mod to perform to my Chevy 3500 & GMC 2500. When you acquire a smaller toad (car) purchase the baseplate for it and use your existing tow bar.

**Congrats on the Imperial purchase!
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:40 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
RoadMaster offers several different adapters, and I assume others do too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:41 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Yes I tow with a Blue Ox Aventa LX 10,000 tow bar and have Roadmaster brackets on both our tow vehicles and use a X over to fit the Roadmaster brackets and the reason I used the Blue Ox tow bar is the price was over $300 Below a 10,000 Roadmaster tow bar and I think the B O bar is just as good. I had to replace my Roadmaster because of wear, age and was to close to being undersized for our F150 at 5800 lb. Bought the B O tow bar new on EBay. Roadmaster also have X overs for the Blue Ox brackets. I also like the rubber covers on the B O tow bar arms to help keep the arms cleaner.
Check Hitch Trader or Classified on IRV 2 for used eq.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow