Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-20-2015, 02:46 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 27
Attention Ford Focus Owners I have a question

Ok, Just setting up our Focus to be our Toad and I am curious as to how the car follows (steering) with the battery disconnected and the Focus electric power steering?From what I can tell the steering wheel dosent seem to have a lock. So hence the question.
Very new to toad towing, Thanks in advance for all replies.
__________________

__________________
rekwiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2015, 02:50 PM   #2
Community Administrator
 
Clifftall's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29,120
Why are you disconnecting the battery would be my first question ? The second is ,do you have the manual for the car? It should have instructions for towing.
__________________

__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:59 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Why are you disconnecting the battery would be my first question ? The second is ,do you have the manual for the car? It should have instructions for towing.
The Ford Focus manual specifically states to disconnect the negative battery wire in order to flat tow. Computer issue regarding the transmission.
__________________
rekwiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:03 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Arch Hoagland's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Clovis, CA, USA
Posts: 5,895
Have you added an auxiliary braking system?

If so where does it get it's power when the toad breaks away from the coach if the battery is disconnected?
__________________
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:19 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 27
Attention Ford Focus Owners I have a question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Have you added an auxiliary braking system?

If so where does it get it's power when the toad breaks away from the coach if the battery is disconnected?

No brake system yet looking At the Ready Brake system no 12 volts needed on that one.
__________________
rekwiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:37 PM   #6
Rkh
Registered User
 
Rkh's Avatar
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekwiat View Post
Ok, Just setting up our Focus to be our Toad and I am curious as to how the car follows (steering) with the battery disconnected and the Focus electric power steering?From what I can tell the steering wheel dosent seem to have a lock. So hence the question.
Very new to toad towing, Thanks in advance for all replies.

I tow a 2012 focus with a readybrake system. Works great! Car follows and tracks behind the MH just fine. Steering does not lock which is exactly what you want.
__________________
Rkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:28 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
I tow a 2012 focus with a readybrake system. Works great! Car follows and tracks behind the MH just fine. Steering does not lock which is exactly what you want.

Thanks, do u turn the key to the off position after the "transmission ready" note shows up on the info center?
__________________
rekwiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:26 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 63
I'm towing a 2013 focus and it tracks with no problems. You turn the key to the "off" position after you get the Transmission Ready indication. Follow the instructions in the owner manual step by step.

David
2013 Vista 27N
__________________
dwaugh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:48 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Arch Hoagland's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Clovis, CA, USA
Posts: 5,895
At the end of every travel day I suggest starting the car and running it through the gears if you aren't disconnecting for any local driving that day.
__________________
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:24 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaugh10 View Post
I'm towing a 2013 focus and it tracks with no problems. You turn the key to the "off" position after you get the Transmission Ready indication. Follow the instructions in the owner manual step by step.



David

2013 Vista 27N

David thanks for the info, just did a test fit of blue ox system and tow bar is level with respect to coach. 90 psi in air bags, full on board water and full of gas. Now to the the ready brake installed and we will head west.
__________________

__________________
rekwiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 Ford Focus flat tow question nkferg Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 9 08-03-2015 10:05 PM
Question for Winnebago Tour owners rdfugere Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 9 02-14-2015 09:23 AM
Ford Focus tmw188 Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 2 10-25-2014 02:36 PM
Towing Ford Focus RLD_999 Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 8 10-21-2014 03:32 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.