Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
Audi toad

Does anyone tow an Audi TT? What tow bar and braking system do you use? Any problems?

jsaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
I'd be surprised if anybody is towing one. We are VW and Audi fans as up until recently, we've always have had at least one Audi or VW in our garage. We had a 2001 TT with a manual transmission at one time but it had quattro and quattros (either variety) have never been able to be flat towed.

First, Audi and VW do not explicitly give permission for any of their vehicles to be flat towed. So neither Audi nor VW will ever be found on the Motorhome Magazine annual dinghy list. Some FWD 5-speed manual VWs are being flat towed but as I was recently corrected, it may not be possible to flat tow a 6-speed manual FWD VW although I've witnessed them being towed.

Second, the brand new TTs now only come in quattro (AWD) in north America and do not have true manual transmissions. quattros have never been flat towable and none of the V.A.G. vehicles with an automatic transmission have ever been flat towable. So it's two strikes there against towing a brand new one.

Third, even the older model TTs that have FWD (are not quattro) AND might have a 5-speed manual transmission will have a base plate available. None of the major manufacturers of base plates make one for a TT of any year. This would be the only configuration that would come close to being flat towable but there is no known base plate for it so I'm thinking that there has to be a reason that prevents it from being towed.

If you hear of anybody who does tow a TT or anyone here does, please let us know as I'd love to get another one. Thanks.

amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What year is it?

Store : Remco

Remco website is pretty accurate.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
With all due respect to Arch Hoagland, it won't matter what year it is as I've checked with Remco for years pertaining to Audis and specifically the TT so if you want to take the time to put in each year the TT was made and the specific model into the Remco pull-downs on their website, it will not give any information on the TT for any model. You'll get the standard "Remco has no information for this vehicle at this time. Please check back later or contact your Remco dealer."

Again, even if Remco had a lube pump available --which I'm certain they don't-- if you can't find a base plate for the TT, how are you going to tow it in the first place? You'd have to configure and make your own which I certainly would not recommend.

As I mentioned, I'd sure like to hear if somebody has flat towed any model year TT and what base plate they used as I've checked with Blue Ox, Roadmaster, and Demco and none of those manufacturers make a base plate for any year or model of TT. Maybe they have recently (within the last several months) and I just haven't heard about it.

I'd love to buy a new or used TT. I hope to hear from somebody too.

amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote