Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:59 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Auto Braking System in a Grand Vitara

I have a Brake Buddy unit that works from the coach, wirelessly to activate the brakes in the toad when the coach decelerates quickly. I have been told that the Grand Vitara is too light a vehicle to use this technology and it will cause the brakes to lock up. I'm looking for advise as I believe its better to have them and not need them as opposed to need them and not have them. Wondering on your thoughts about this. TIA

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2015, 09:08 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Not sure who may have told you that, but I think it is hogwash. I towed two Grand Vitaras for a total of 60k miles and never had a problem with my "pedal pusher" type toad brake. A different brand than BB, but same operating principle.

Brake Buddy has an adjustable control that you tune for the weight of the vehicle and your preferences, i.e. the amount of braking you want applied.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:34 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gary, he claimed the unit is designed for much larger and heavier toads and will always cause over braking. I am going to do a test run pulling the toad up and over a couple of mountain passes that should test his hypothesis to the max as my son will be following watching for problems. We'll use our antiquated CBs to keep in contact if trouble develops back behind me that I can't see from the drivers seat.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:43 PM   #4

I had a Grand Vitara with a Brake Buddy and no problem. Brake Buddy is adjustable for weight. Seems like I had it set on 3.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:26 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis4809 View Post
I had a Grand Vitara with a Brake Buddy and no problem. Brake Buddy is adjustable for weight. Seems like I had it set on 3.
Looks to be a good starting point for my trials.

Thank you.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:02 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So only small people can drive Grand Vitaras? Big people would press too hard on the brake pedal?

I think your friend doesn't know what he is talking about. All braking systems are adjustable.

One of the things you can do is use an IR gun and after driving a few miles stop and shoot the brake rotors.

I do that every time I stop and the tires too. An overheated tire is an indication of low tire pressure.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:24 AM   #7

Just read the installation manual on line. Says that the pressure is adjustable for vehicles from 1,500 lbs to over 5,000 lbs.

Manuals are available on line.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Gary, he claimed the unit is designed for much larger and heavier toads and will always cause over braking.
Well, we all have opinions. Mine is based on years of actual experience as well as extensive knowledge of toad braking products (I've owned three different ones) and towed cars for roughly 100k miles. You have to decide if your other advisor has any credibility or not. I say "not".
Old 12-03-2015, 11:20 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
When it quits playing NOAH in our neck of the woods I will go get the unit from the storage shed and research everything I can find about it online. I am starting to agree with Gary's assessment of my informant as people with experience are contradicting him here. Thanks for all your guidance and help.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:43 AM   #10

I had a Grand Vitara with a Brake Buddy system and it worked fine.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:19 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Perhaps your informant is just out of date. Back in the day when this type of brake unit had mechanical inertia sensors (basically a pendulum), they sometimes overbraked (or underbraked). For the last dozen or so years they have used acellerometers that are much more reliable and accurate and eliminated that issue.

And some percentage of people don't seem to be able to follow instructions and adjust the gain & sensitivity well enough. Or re-adjust in case the setting gets changed accidentally.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:13 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks all. I now have the manual, I am checking all the included in my purchase items against the manual and will either buy new or reinvent anything missing from the list of materials required in the manual.