Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #1

Braking system-Jeep Wrangler and Allegro Bus

Suggestions for aux breaking on TOWED Jeep Wrangler. I do not want complex system
refncpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #2

Aux braking suggestions for Jeep Wrangler and Allegro bus

There are units that do not need complex implementation. Which has worked for you and rate difficulty in set up
Old 05-23-2011, 07:58 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
If you haven't bought the tow bar yet, think about the surge braking system offered by Night Shift Auto. Their tow bar has a built in surge brake that does the trick for me. The Ready brake is easy to hook up and unhook. The whole system is cheaper than most and works great. I tow my 2010 Honda Fit and love it.

Dan
Old 05-23-2011, 08:11 PM   #4

We have a Travel Supreme 40 ft DP pulling a Jeep Wrangler. Recently installed a Ready Brake after using a Break Buddy for a number of years. So far, very pleased with the Ready Brake. My son helped me install it but it was actually pretty simple.
exit210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:54 PM   #5

We have a Ready Brake. Have used it for 5 or 6 years now. It does make a difference in the required stopping distance. Wife was driving today, crested a hill on the Interstate and found stopped traffic ahead. We might have been wearing a small Chevy under our generator without the extra braking on the toad. If I was towbar shopping, I would get a Ready-Brute from the same company with the brake built in. Good luck, HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit210
We have a Travel Supreme 40 ft DP pulling a Jeep Wrangler. Recently installed a Ready Brake after using a Break Buddy for a number of years. So far, very pleased with the Ready Brake. My son helped me install it but it was actually pretty simple.
Thank you
Old 05-24-2011, 05:18 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
The Air Force One I use in my truck is very easy to use. Once installed I just plug in the air line, connect the emergency disconnect and that's it (other than connecting to the tow bar of course). It stays in the truck when you unplug it and you never notice it when driving the tow vehicle.
SW4UA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Take a look at the Air Force One by SMI, we pull a jeep Rubicon and really like not having to do anything other than plug in the connections follow jeep procedures for towing and off we go.
caninecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by caninecop View Post
Take a look at the Air Force One by SMI, we pull a jeep Rubicon and really like not having to do anything other than plug in the connections follow jeep procedures for towing and off we go.
Dittos on the SMI, Air Force One, I use it on my Hummer behind my DP.
washbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, for a jeep being pulled by a vehicle with air brakes you have basically 3 groups of choices.. I will pick one from each:

Brake in a box: (Brake Buddy) these are big boxes with arms that stick out and have to be installed every time you tow and removed and stored when you drive.

Advantage: easy to move to a new towed: Disadvantage, Wrangling them. Also you have to blead down the brake vacuum when you install them every time.

Electric/hydraulic like the US-Gear Unified Brake Dcelarator. Now this is one of the best systems made in my humble opinion and I did a bunch of research, it is progressive, braking harder the harder you brake, and perportional You can adjust how much "Gain" or force it uses. Works with ALL tow vehicles that have the controller (Gas or Diesel)

Advantage: Very easy hook up when towing (Like 2 seconds) and unhookup, nothing to store, it is invisible to the driver when driving.. Only install once. This unit has a vacuum assist pump so no need to bleed down the vacuum.

Disadvantage: it's bolted in, so it's a job to transfer to a new towed.

Air/Hydraulic,, I will cover two

Air force one: As I understand this is a piston that pushes the pedal using tow vehicle air..

M&G.. This installs on the master cylinder.

The Air force has to be hoked up and unhooked but at least it stows under the seat. You should blead down the vacuum booster.

The M&G is 100% transparant like the US gear unit, no need to bleed.

Both the hook up at the tow vehicle end is only a few seconds (plug in air line)

Finally the Ready Brake.

Again transparant, installed, you need not beed down the vacuum (it will compensate) works with both gas and diesel tow vehicles HOWEVER it will also work going down hills even if you never touch the brakes.. Quick hook up is the plus.. Minus is "it is installed"

My choices.. M&G, US-Gear or Ready Brake Any of the fixed in place "Transparant to driver" systems.. they are the best in my book

One problem with the brake in a box is the tendency to say "oh, I'm only going to the dealer, it's not that far, I'll just forge.. CRASH, Dang I wish I'd hooked up the brake system"
Old 05-24-2011, 07:34 PM   #11

I have M&G on my 2006 Wrangler, installed it myself. No problems, no adjustments just plug in the air line and go works great. 70k on the factory front pads and rotors.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW4UA View Post
The Air Force One I use in my truck is very easy to use. Once installed I just plug in the air line, connect the emergency disconnect and that's it (other than connecting to the tow bar of course). It stays in the truck when you unplug it and you never notice it when driving the tow vehicle.

Ditto. Have use the system for 3 yrs.
wagon217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:44 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I tow a 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and use the US Gear Unified tow brake system. It has worked very well. It has a break away system and charges the wranglers battery while on the go. SMI, M&G and US Gear I see mentioned the most on this forum and all good systems.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:19 AM   #14

I'll chime in for the M&G braking system. I used it on our 05 Trailblazer, and am now putting the same system on our 08 Dodge dakota. After installation, there are only one air line and a small breakaway cord to hookup. We have an 05 Allegro bus we are towing it behind. Steve
steved44 is offline   Reply With Quote