Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2009, 06:05 AM   #1
Community Administrator

aux. braking system for tow car

I'm starting to shop for this and welcome any advise as to which one to purchase.

Currently towing a saturn ,but will switch to a small suv soon.

thanks

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2009, 06:53 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Several people (including me) have posted successes with SMI brake systems (also a sponsor of this website). USGear is also a well-thought-of system by members of this site. Both these are permanently installed systems, which I happen to prefer.

Others prefer Brake Buddy, Evenbrake, and other brands which are temporarily installed when you are using the vehicle as a toad.

Good luck!
Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:19 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Each owner will probably recommend theirs but we have been using Evenbrake for years. Easy to install and remove. However I have had problems a few times with loosing signal or something as I will notice that the monitor says braking when I know that its not. Usually I just apply the brakes again but have had to stop and reset. I won't recommend it for this reason but the price was right for me at the time. We tow a Ford Explorer.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
Several people (including me) have posted successes with SMI brake systems (also a sponsor of this website). USGear is also a well-thought-of system by members of this site. Both these are permanently installed systems, which I happen to prefer.

Others prefer Brake Buddy, Evenbrake, and other brands which are temporarily installed when you are using the vehicle as a toad.

Good luck!
Stewart

Thanks for the help.

Cliff

Old 10-14-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
Each owner will probably recommend theirs but we have been using Evenbrake for years. Easy to install and remove. However I have had problems a few times with loosing signal or something as I will notice that the monitor says braking when I know that its not. Usually I just apply the brakes again but have had to stop and reset. I won't recommend it for this reason but the price was right for me at the time. We tow a Ford Explorer.

Thanks for the honest reply.

Cliff

Old 10-14-2009, 10:19 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco, Winnebago, Freightliner and Workhorse all pre-wire for the US Gear Unified Tow Brake system. I installed the Unified tow brake mainly because of the approval from alot of MFG's. There are alot of good breaking systems on this forum to consider. The one feature that I would recommend is the break away feature no matter which way you go.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:23 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi:
Just thought I would respond to your inquiry about tow brake system, I have a M&G system that similiar to the SMI system. I had a Brake Buddy on older Saturn and switched to SMI and had it reinstalled on 08 Saturn Vue. I understand the SMI is easier to install but my system works great. Some systems that you have to take in and out everytime can be a problem.

Good Lick.

Bill
bill dean1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Thanks to all . I now have an idea where to go from here.

Cliff

Old 10-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Verify: Freightliner is prewired for US Gear Unified Tow Brake?

Kewel

Freightliner Custom Chassis RV Bodies Pre-Wired for Supplemental Braking

U.S. Gear is pleased to announce that Freightliner Custom Chassis Corporation (FCCC) rear engine RV bodies built after December 2002 are now pre-wired for supplemental braking
Attached Images

Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:49 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
Freightliner is prewired for US Gear Unified Tow Brake?
I was just speaking with Peter Schuck here in Myrtle Beach at the Holiday Rambler Rally. If you take away the 2 wires one might wonder, what do you have left?

SMI's Air Force one is optioned be integrated into a Spartan Chassis but that says little to the effectiveness of the brake system.

If you look and evaluate the products themselves specifically the USG and the SMI you will see clearly which one is a better product.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:18 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
BrakeMaster air with brake away.
Works great very lite and fast to install & uninstall
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:01 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it fits (and I don't think it will) M&G air brakes are good.. AirForceOne is decent but suffers from "you have to hook it up" not just plug it in and mistakes hooking the piston to the pedal.. Possible.

I use a US-Gear Unified Brake Decelerator system.. Electric over hydraulic, Proportional (Adjustible gain) Progressive (The harder I stand on the MH brakes, the harder it stands on the Towed brakes) and controllable (I can both set the towed brakes, from the MH driver's seat, independent of the MH brakes, and disable them completly if I wish) Very nice system.. Closest to a professional Semi Trailer braking system I've seen.. Standard electric controller signals work it.

Hook up is "Plug it in" (Nothing to mess with inside the car) Nothing to store (it's hidden under the seat or in my case in a false fire wall) and works well.. Does not run the towed battery down,, IN fact, since it includes a "Towed Charge like system, it, or rather the towing motor home, keeps the towed battery charged.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:18 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Like Trikker, we have the Roadmaster Brakemaster. For air brake equipped MHs (not sure if yours is), it is pretty neat package. The toad brake only comes on when I step on the MH brake pedal and only to the extent that I'm applying pedal pressure. I originally installed the system on our Saturn SL-1 where we used it flawlessly for almost 5 years. We recently got an 05' Saturn Vue and I moved the Brakemaster system to it.

They make a version of the Brakemaster of MHs without air brakes. I have no experience with it, however. On ours, I like the ease of the very light piston that attaches between a bracket under the front seat and the brake pedal.
I periodically test the breakaway feature and it has never failed.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote