Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:52 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
I am wondering why a few people are so concerned about a "break a way" system when there are always (by law) cables or chains used in case something failed. Isn't that a safety system required by law? It seems like the cables or chains should be enough. There is a point where it is over-kill. i.e. Why not add four cables instead of two? Joe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2010, 09:20 AM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
thanks guys all things considered i believe ill be ordering the brake buddy classic i just talked to tech support they seem to be very reliable ikll be getting a complete system for under 600 delivered !

Old 08-26-2010, 12:20 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I don't agree with the above as an absolute statement. Being able to stop, let's say, in 5' less distance could well be the difference between an accident and a close call in a given situation.

Rusty
You are correct Rusty.. I meant to say It won't prevent ALL accidents.

But it may well prevents some... and the ones it does not prevent the damage will be greatly reduced and thus your liability will be reduced.

I personally feel towing w/o brakes on the towed is... Pick a word

Dangerous
Careless
Reckless

And those last two words.. Can get you CASH-LESS once the judge bangs his gavel.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
I am wondering why a few people are so concerned about a "break a way" system when there are always (by law) cables or chains used in case something failed. Isn't that a safety system required by law? It seems like the cables or chains should be enough. There is a point where it is over-kill. i.e. Why not add four cables instead of two? Joe
I agree, that is what the safety chains are for and why they are required. But I think that some people would prefer to have another vehicle attached to the toad from the rear to assist in the breaking and possibly another person sitting in the toad ready to take control of the vehicle if it breaks away. Just as some people on these forums insist on telling others to get a blue ox tow bar (or whatever) and not use a standard a frame tow bar. The fact of the matter is an a frame tow bar that you buy at wallmart for $100 is rated at 5k lbs, and so is the blue ox tow bar. The main difference? PRICE. The proper safety chains that are required will keep the toad behind the TV in case of a break away. That is assuming they are installed correctly. People on these forums seem to be stressing overkill on these issues. Nobody has mentioned breakaway systems and brake systems while towing boats, (even the standard 18ft ski boat can weigh more than the average toad), car trailers, cargo trailers, ect. But how many of them have a brake system, or brake away system installed?
Old 08-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #19

On a side note and food for thought, my MH is on a 1 ton chassis and fully loaded and with the toad has a gcvw of 18k lbs. A typical small street sweeper is on the same 1 ton chassis and brakes and has a gcvw of 20k lbs. But nobody seems to worry about weather or not it can stop safely. Yet they are on the streets and highways all the time.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:27 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
more so for me it was the idea of a ticket ! knowing im over the limit an i live in fl !( i dont look right) i know that they will write me up ! and it is the law ! lol so more safety i did get the whole set up on ebay 568.00 delivered brake buddy classic decided on that more so i can move it around as i more than likely will tow more than just the jeep `!
Old 08-26-2010, 06:17 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the Apollo Brake Buddy. I kinda wondered what good it would do if I needed a quick stop. Found out a few months ago when a "nice fellow"{being nice} pulled out in front of me. I slammed down on the brakes and the brake buddy also pushed the brakes on the toad. I have no doubt that that application helped save me from hitting that fool !! I am sure he still has no idea how close he came to making us both have a bad day ! It also was a reminder to have things secured, but thats another story.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:55 PM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
i almost bought the Apollo Brake Buddy but went with the brake buddy now im looking for a place to drill a hole through the fire wall ! any body do that ? they dont make it easy for sure lol 06 liberty any suggestions
Old 08-26-2010, 07:06 PM   #23

I have never, and will never say that buying an auxiliary braking system is a necessity. But when and if you can afford a braking system for the toad I would say do it. Every ounce of safety you can buy will always be worth it in the end. Even if only for peace of mind. But there is a difference between need and want. For most of us on a budget, priority should be on the weight the tow bar can handle verse the weight the vehicle. Ditto with what the brake system on the MH can handle, then proper tow chains and lights, then when you can spend the money get the brake system. In some cases, a braking system is more of a luxury item than a necessity.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:17 PM   #24

aux braking systems

www.brakebuddy.com - go to the "Towing Laws" link for your State or Province.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:55 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It is always smarter and better to have MORE braking when you need it than LESS braking ... I don't think anyone has mentioned the Roadmaster Brakemaster ...a proportional braking system that comes with a break-away AND pilot light on the coach dash to let you know when the toad brakes are applied. It works off the air brakes on the coach, and if the coach doesn't have air brakes you can install an auxilliary air cylinder that will do the job ...very easy to set up/unhook, etc. We have used ours for 6 years and apx 55k and are very happy with it.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #26

Freightliner Owners Club
it was this that got me Towing Laws | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle
i would get nailed for sure
Old 08-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdave View Post
it was this that got me Towing Laws | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle
i would get nailed for sure
Is this the information that is causing people to be misinformed? I just looked at that link under Colorado and it says that any vehicle that is over 3k lbs is required to have trailer brakes. And that is taken as any towed vehicle over 3000k LBS? INCORRECT! A vehicle being towed on all fours is NOT the same as a trailer being towed. A trailer has tongue weight that is applied to the back of the vehicle, whereas a vehicle being towed, by a tow hitch does not. Also a trailer requires a vehicle to be attached to the front of it to pull it down the road, and cannot move under its own power normally. Here is what the Corado State statute actually says, notice there are no laws in Colorado concerning the use or non use of a braking device in a towed vehicle. Besides, how many tow trucks do you see break into a car and install a brake device so they can legally tow it? answer? NONE, because its NOT REQUIRED! Dont believe everything a salesman or sales add is trying to say to you.
  • Max Vehicle Height: 13'
  • Max Vehicle Width: 8 1/2'
  • Combined Length: 70'
  • Max Trailer Length: Not Specified. Total maximum combined length of 70 ft.
  • Max Trailer Width: 8'6"
  • Max Trailer Height: 13'0"
  • Motor Home Length: 45'
  • Two Vehicle Max Length70'
  • Triple Tow Allowed: Yes Total maximum combined length of 70 ft.
  • Safety Chains Required: Yes
  • Breakaway Required: Yes
  • Fire Extinguisher: Not Stated
  • Flares & Signs: Not Stated
  • Trailer Brakes Required: 3000 Gross weight requiring brakes.
  • Towed Cars: No laws regarding.
  • Wipers: Not Stated
  • Max Tow Speed: 75
  • Ride in 5th Wheel: Yes
  • Ride Pickup Camper: Yes
  • Ride Travel Trailer: Not Specified.
  • Maximum Length - RV & Trailer Combo: 70ft.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:02 PM   #28

And to make it more clear about the break away issue as well, Colorado state traffic code section 506 para 3 states:
Whenever one vehicle is towing another, in addition to the drawbar
or other connection, except a fifth wheel connection meeting the requirements of the department of transportation, safety chains or cables arranged in such a way that it will be impossible for the vehicle being
towed to break loose from the vehicle towing in the event the drawbar or
other connection were to be broken, loosened, or otherwise damaged
shall be used. This subsection (3) shall apply to all motor vehicles, to all
trailers, except semi-trailers connected by a proper fifth wheel, and to
any dolly used to convert a semitrailer to a full trailer.
Also, Colorado Code of regulations under traffic 42-4-223. Brakes.
(c) Every trailer or semitrailer of a gross weight of three thousand pounds or more, when operated upon a highway, shall be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of and to stop and to hold such vehicle and so designed as to be applied by the driver of the towing motor vehicle from the cab, and said brakes shall be so designed and connected that in case of an accidental breakaway of the towed vehicle the brakes shall be automatically applied. The provisions of this paragraph (c) shall not be applicable to any trailer which does not meet the definition of "commercial vehicle" as that term is defined in section 42-4-235
So, bassically, unless you are required to stop at the port of entry under the deffenition of commercial vehicle, then there are no seperate trailer brakes, or "breake away" required in the state of Colorado. By the way, required stopping distanced in Colorado is
reads, shall be adequate to stop such vehicle when traveling twenty miles per hour within a distance of forty feet when upon dry asphalt or concrete pavement surface free from loose material where the grade does not exceed one percent.

Tags
aux brakes, braking, braking assist, tow brake