Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:11 PM   #29

Just in case there is somebody that wants to argue the commercial vehicle aspect, here is what a commercial vehicle is defined as in 42-4-235

(1) As used in this section, unless the context otherwise requires:
(a) "Commercial vehicle" means:
(I) Any self-propelled or towed vehicle bearing an apportioned plate or having a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination rating of ten thousand one pounds or more, which vehicle is used in commerce on the public highways of this state or is designed to transport sixteen or more passengers, including the driver, unless such vehicle is a school bus regulated pursuant to section 42-4-1904 or any vehicle that does not have a gross vehicle weight rating of twenty-six thousand one or more pounds and that is owned or operated by a school district so long as such school district does not receive remuneration for the use of such vehicle, not including reimbursement for the use of such vehicle;
(II) Any motor vehicle designed or equipped to transport other motor vehicles from place to place by means of winches, cables, pulleys, or other equipment for towing, pulling, or lifting, when such motor vehicle is used in commerce on the public highways of this state; and
(III) A motor vehicle that is used on the public highways and transports materials determined by the secretary of transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. sec. 5103 in such quantities as to require placarding under 49 CFR parts 172 and 173.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2010, 10:16 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
I am wondering why a few people are so concerned about a "break a way" system when there are always (by law) cables or chains used in case something failed. Isn't that a safety system required by law? It seems like the cables or chains should be enough. There is a point where it is over-kill. i.e. Why not add four cables instead of two? Joe
The safety chains are attached to the hitch. What happens when the hitch breaks off of the MH if you don't have a Break-A-Way system? I have read about a number of total hitch failures.

I will go with the extra safety of a Break-A-Way system, and the extra braking help.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:51 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks N1Rigger, Very interesting. I wonder what else we don't know?

I went back to check on the towing laws as posted by BrakeBuddy and then went to check on some of the actual state laws. sure enough, BrakeBuddy wrote their own law. This helps sell their stuff, but it is misleading. They shouldn't be allowed to post something regarding towing laws that is inaccurate as written or by omission. Joe
Old 08-27-2010, 08:57 AM   #32

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
i found this to be an interesting piece HowStuffWorks "RV Towing Laws by State"
Old 08-27-2010, 09:38 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Twenty states require toad brakes, the rest have no law pertaining to toads. Not saying that I would not use toad brakes. Joe
Old 08-27-2010, 09:44 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Additional safety chains to frame...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1 View Post
The safety chains are attached to the hitch. What happens when the hitch breaks off of the MH if you don't have a Break-A-Way system? I have read about a number of total hitch failures.

I will go with the extra safety of a Break-A-Way system, and the extra braking help.
I wonder how often hitches come off? Maybe separate safety chains should also go to the frame of the motorhome. That might make sense. Joe
Old 08-27-2010, 10:32 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
Thanks N1Rigger, Very interesting. I wonder what else we don't know?
One of the questions on the Commercial Drivers License Class B Passenger endorsement test is " how many people are allowed to sit in the isle of a moving bus?" The correct answer? If they are migrant farm workers you are allowed to put as many lawn chairs in the isle of a bus for people to sit in as you want. And if you are a farmer, most of the laws regarding vehicles and safety equipment dont apply to you. Some of these laws have absolutely no common sense whatsoever. It is up to the individual to apply common sense. As far as hitch failure goes? Inspect your equipment before you begin any days drive on the road, and inspect it after you are done driving for the day. All of the hitch failures I have seen could have been avoided. We can play the "what if" game all day long, what if the tires fall off the toad? Should we install a locking system so that cant happen? Or should we recognize the risks and take "appropriate" steps to minimize them? It all comes down to common sense and risk management. For me, when I read an add trying to sell me something and they are trying to tell me that it is required by law to use their product, I am like the Missouri state, "show me".
Old 08-27-2010, 05:04 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
I use a break away system. Not because I fear a hitch failure or failure of my safety cables. I use it because if my tow bar fails and the safety cables catch it while moving forward, what happens when I hit the breaks to stop the motorhome, BAM. Yes it is possible to stop slow enough to avoid this, but probably not in the state of fear or panic involved with the tow system broken. My safety cable for the break away is just slightly shorter than my safety cables. The break away device is cheaper than the body repair to both vehicles, and if I never need it then I still have peace of mind.

As far as the old standard A-frame tow bars go, they work just fine and cheap. I simply prefer the appearance of a Blue Ox rather than having a big A-frame on the front of my car. Also you can remove the A-frame but it's awfully large to store. My Blue Ox stores compactly on the reciever of the MH in a bag with only the base plate tabs on the toad.

As others have stated, law or no law, a brake in the toad will stop you shorter, period, no arguments will prove different than that. Every trailer I have ever purchased has been factory equipped with a break-away device for the past 20 years by law, for those who say they haven't seen them on regular trailers.
Parkerrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerrs View Post
I use a break away system. Not because I fear a hitch failure or failure of my safety cables. I use it because if my tow bar fails and the safety cables catch it while moving forward, what happens when I hit the breaks to stop the motorhome, BAM. Yes it is possible to stop slow enough to avoid this, but probably not in the state of fear or panic involved with the tow system broken. My safety cable for the break away is just slightly shorter than my safety cables. The break away device is cheaper than the body repair to both vehicles, and if I never need it then I still have peace of mind.

As far as the old standard A-frame tow bars go, they work just fine and cheap. I simply prefer the appearance of a Blue Ox rather than having a big A-frame on the front of my car. Also you can remove the A-frame but it's awfully large to store. My Blue Ox stores compactly on the reciever of the MH in a bag with only the base plate tabs on the toad.
Now there is somebody that makes sense. I would love to have the same setup, for all the same reasons. And when I can afford it I will. I just cant stand it when people say that you have to have this that or the other. And then say its the law. Especially when the "law" they are quoting comes from the sales add.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:46 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1Rigger View Post
Just in case there is somebody that wants to argue the commercial vehicle aspect, here is what a commercial vehicle is defined as in 42-4-235

(1) As used in this section, unless the context otherwise requires:
(a) "Commercial vehicle" means:
(I) Any self-propelled or towed vehicle bearing an apportioned plate or having a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination rating of ten thousand one pounds or more, which vehicle is used in commerce on the public highways of this state or is designed to transport sixteen or more passengers, including the driver, unless such vehicle is a school bus regulated pursuant to section 42-4-1904 or any vehicle that does not have a gross vehicle weight rating of twenty-six thousand one or more pounds and that is owned or operated by a school district so long as such school district does not receive remuneration for the use of such vehicle, not including reimbursement for the use of such vehicle;
(II) Any motor vehicle designed or equipped to transport other motor vehicles from place to place by means of winches, cables, pulleys, or other equipment for towing, pulling, or lifting, when such motor vehicle is used in commerce on the public highways of this state; and
(III) A motor vehicle that is used on the public highways and transports materials determined by the secretary of transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. sec. 5103 in such quantities as to require placarding under 49 CFR parts 172 and 173.
Jailhouse lawyer?
Professional hair splitter?
whatever.

Just do me a favor. Don't tow your "budget rig" with your walmart tow bar and no brakes through my town, near my neighborhood, or on any road I choose to travel on within plus or minus 12 hours of my doing so.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:06 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
This is getting way too personal, almost like a Walmart Parking Thread. I'm out. Joe
Old 08-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #40

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
boy i had no idea a post would do this ! i was just looking for some input ! its really way out there ! i was just looking for options ! i dont really care about who can afford what ! it was about aux brake systems ! thanks guys ill let you know how i like the new system ! by the way got it for 561 fed ex delivers weds its on ebay this guy has sold over 175 of them he swells them factory refurbed its a great deal in my opinion between the aventa tow bar light cable and brake system right at 1200 best of all ill feel safer ! ill let you know my input after i install it we get it weds
Old 08-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #41

Congrats on the purchase, let us know how the install goes. Any of these addons are great to have and will improve safety. I just cant stand it when somebody says you have to have something when in reality, you can get by with out them until you can afford them. And on another note, some people should spend there time a little more wisely instead of trying to tell others what they should and shouldn't do. Ill be driving my rig wherever and whenever I please.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:18 AM   #42

And oh yeah, it is a "budget Rig". I am a republican who doesn't believe in carrying debt, or abusing credit cards. So I budgeted for it, saved the money, and paid for it in cash. (its only 3 years older than yours). And yup, the tow bar came from Wallmart, its a Reese. They have been in the towing business since 1929. Blue Ox? they didnt start making towing equipment until 1984. So dont slam a product because it was purchased at Wallmart as being cheaply made.

Tags
aux brakes, braking, braking assist, tow brake