Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #1

Question aux braking with a dolly

We are getting ready to go full time this summer in our 2012 Winnebago Sightseer 33c (Ford V10 F53 chassis). Our plan is to tow a 2003 Dodge minivan on an Acme EZE-tow dolly, which has surge brakes. I am considering using an IRV aux braking system in the van. I have used the IRV with a pickup I’ve flat towed for the last couple of years. I am happy with the brake system. I realize that the net effect of the extra braking system would be just on the rear wheels. But that is added braking. I consider that the minivan is on the heavy side of vehicles to tow which is why I am considering using the IRV in it. The van is paid for and I am not ready to buy a new car and we like it. The wife hates the truck and doesn’t want it to be our toad.

Has anyone used aux braking in combination with a dolly or have thoughts on this?

Thanks, RayR
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #2

We use a dolly with electric brakes. never thought of adding additional braking on the car. wonder what would happen if more braking power was applied to your van than was applied to the dolly? may put lots of extra stress on the straps and van. curious how this would work.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:49 PM   #3

Burgman50, thanks for the comments. It has made think about the stresses on the tie downs. I may try it without for a while and see how that goes.

BTW, from your handle and picture I am assuming you ride a Burgman. My wife has a Burgman 650 fitted with a sidecar and we both love it. I usually ride a Moto Guzzi but take hers out now and again. A few years ago we rode them from Seattle to Chicago and back. We had a great time. Wish I could figure out how to take them with us and still have a car to drive. I think it will be separate trips.

Thanks again.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:52 AM   #4

I've seen a few of these, and this is definitely on my radar. I found a dolly with golf cart carrier for a great price but someone beat me to it.

I love my burgman. pleasure ride about 6,000 miles a year.

Tags
dolly