Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:26 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Auxilary Braking System Options

Preparing to tow a Jeep Wrangler Sport behind our 37 foot diesel-pusher motor home. We've settled on a Roadmaster plates and tow bar equipment. But having done some research we are having trouble deciding on which style of auxiliary brake system to use. Specifically, permanent install or portable? I think we understand that a permanent install is more convenient but involves more "damage" to our Jeep; but a portable system must be installed / uninstalled and stored, and we must be very careful to secure the unit or it may not work as intended.

We would love to hear your opinions on auxiliary brake system permanent install vs portable install.

Thanks,

Stargazer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2016, 06:31 PM   #2

I had the Patriot from Blue Ox with my last toad. When I bought my Canyon, I had the SMI Stay N Play put on and that is the best choice for me. So easy and nothing to pull in and out. I am a big supporter of the SMI product.
Good luck with your choice.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:55 PM   #3

I chose the RVibrake since I have 2 toads. It works as advertised and is easy to install and store due to its smaller size.
gseason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:59 PM   #4

M and G for me. Works great so long as your rig has air brakes. Very simple install.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:06 PM   #5

I really like the ease of hooking up the Air Force 1. Snap the air hose on and done.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #6

Take a look at NSA Readybrake, it's simple, easy hookup and effective.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:52 AM   #7

I ordered the SMI Stay N Play then after getting it changed my mined and returned it and got the SMI Air Force One made to be used with air brakes.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:42 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
X2 on the RVI2 Brake, in and out in less than a minute and it has integrated TPMS for the Toad!
Old 02-07-2016, 02:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave View Post
X 2!
Old 02-07-2016, 03:20 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave View Post

All you ever need!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:22 PM   #11

There are several portable units, and many "installation required" ones ranging from a hour to multiple hours with varying degrees on intrusion. I opted for a used Roadmaster portable I found on eBay for under $250. One less thing to deal with if/when I decide to swap tow vehicles.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:26 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've used the RoadMaster BrakeMaster unit on two MH's and two toweds. Same basic unit. just buy the install kit for what ever "end" I'm replacing.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:30 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
X3 on the RVI2 brake. It's very easy to set up and works great with a Jeep. The only semi-permanent wiring is the break away switch wire from the front to the unit.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer66 View Post
Preparing to tow a Jeep Wrangler Sport behind our 37 foot diesel-pusher motor home. We've settled on a Roadmaster plates and tow bar equipment. But having done some research we are having trouble deciding on which style of auxiliary brake system to use. Specifically, permanent install or portable? I think we understand that a permanent install is more convenient but involves more "damage" to our Jeep; but a portable system must be installed / uninstalled and stored, and we must be very careful to secure the unit or it may not work as intended.

We would love to hear your opinions on auxiliary brake system permanent install vs portable install.

Thanks,
"damage"

Well, not to be too sarcastic here but, if you think that installing something like an auxiliary braking system is "damage" to your Jeep, then maybe you shouldn't be towing it.

Seriously, there are as you've read, several types/styles out there. As you get older in life, you want to make life MORE SIMPLE. And that includes any and all things related to RVing and, towing. Carrying, storing, adjusting, hooking up, removing, and anything else that involves a "ROBOT" braking system, that is, one of those large boxes that sits on the floor and pushes on the brake pedal, IS NOT SIMPLE TO ME.

I used the Ready Brake system for a few years and, it was the cheapest and, simplest system at the time. But, a while ago I migrated over to the M & G Braking system. I should have done that 10 minutes after we purchased our present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP, almost 5 years ago.

The M & G system, is installed in between the master cylinder and the power brake unit. The install, is not complicated and, takes the average do-it-yourselfer, about 1-2 hours, plus or minus. The Coach part of the install, takes the same person, about 1/2 to 1 hour, again plus or minus.

Once that's done, all that you do in prep for towing is, hook up the small, curly cue air hose, between the coach and your Jeep, DONE!

There's no adjustments, no cables to get potentially caught on towbar equipment, no toad battery drain, no electrical hookups, and, the really nice part, THERE'S NOTHING ON THE INSIDE OF THE JEEP! You don't even know that the unit is in place. It is completely proportional too. In that, if you need light braking, it applies them in your Jeep, lightly., If you need severe braking, guess what, your Jeep brakes are applied accordingly.

You have a D/P coach, so, that makes the purchase decision way easier. You can pay to have it installed or, with some simple tools, you can save a few bucks and do it yourself. You're looking at about $650 plus or minus, shipped right to your door.

OH, one more plus for the M & G. Since it does not push on the brake pedal, you won't have any brake lights being applied by the Jeeps own brake light switch which, might help you when it comes time for setting up the Jeeps lights for toad lights. Just some info for you. Good luck.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote