Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:21 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I tow a 2007 Liberty and use the RVI Brake2 brake system. It is the only brake system I have used so can't compare it to others but it is serving us well.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2016, 10:52 PM   #16

I've been using a Brake Buddy for 6 yrs and I have no complaints. Easy to use, and hook up.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:00 PM   #17
jrs

If it fits in the vehicle I end up buying, I'm going to use the M&G braking system. People who use it speak very highly of it. No sure if you have air brakes on your rig but if you do I think you should consider a review of it.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:43 PM   #18

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmats View Post
I did a lot of research before deciding on the brake system for our Wrangler, and moved away from what my dealer recommended, which was a "brake-in-the-box" pod system. While these can easily be moved from car to car, it pushes on an "inactive" brake pedal with quite a bit of force. These use an accelerometer to sense deceleration, which activates the piston.

You should take a look at SMI's Stay-In-Play Duo system. I chose their Air Force One brake because our coach has air brakes, but would have otherwise gone with the Duo. It is "Duo" because braking requires input from both its accelerometer and braking light input from the coach. The installation is a bit more involved than the pod systems, but I like the way it was designed to work.
Yes the brake pedal is pushed with a lot of force. What is it about that the concerns you?
Old 01-30-2016, 03:45 PM   #19

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post
If it fits in the vehicle I end up buying, I'm going to use the M&G braking system. People who use it speak very highly of it. No sure if you have air brakes on your rig but if you do I think you should consider a review of it.
Once this post goes dead I am going to look at all suggestions.
I don't have air brakes so that will be out of the question.
Thank you.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
Yes the brake pedal is pushed with a lot of force. What is it about that the concerns you?
The difference between pushing on an inactive pedal (without the engine running) versus an active pedal with power assist is significant, and the brake pod piston has to exert enough force to generate braking force on the inactive pedal. In some cases, this pressure has inadvertently released the driver's seat manual adjusting lever causing the seat to be pushed backwards instead of applying pressure against the brake pedal. In other cases, there was only seat foam deformation, which absorbs some of the braking force. There are workarounds to this, and of course, if you have power seats this is not an issue. The seats in my Jeep are manual, and the potential scenarios above were a concern for me.
Barmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:58 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The RVI 2 Brake in my 2007 Liberty does not push up against any part of the seat. The attached link is to a web picture that is just like how it sits in my toad. https://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...CZ8QMwgfKAMwAw
Old 01-30-2016, 09:01 PM   #22

Yes - RVibrake2 is designed to sit in the floorpan up against the ridge, rather than the seat. The big box pods push against the front of the driver's seat. Lots of different options and choices.
Barmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:39 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I asked the same question for my 2012 Liberty several times since last October, and kinda got the same responses. Essentially, what I found out was that there are MANY different configurations that all work perfectly well, and their owners are very happy with their particular setup.

I was originally considering one of the permanently mounted Roadmaster Invisibrake systems. I ended up with a "used one time" Blue Ox Patriot off Craigslist for $300. Too good to pass up.

It works great as is really easy to use.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:02 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
We use the BrakeBuddy on our Cherokee. Once everything is installed there are only two wire cables that need to be hooked up along with the tow bar. We are very pleased with the system and the effect it has on stopping. The BrakeBuddy also has very few parts and no electronics, so less to deal with later.
I didn't want to use a system that had to be installed and removed each time, plus having to store it somewhere when it wasn't being used. They also looked awkward to put in and take out. The vacuum assist units require power to run the vacuum pump which in turn requires additional wiring to keep the towed vehicle battery charged. Simple is better for me, I have enough other things to be working on.
The other big question is powering the lights for the towed vehicle. That is a topic all to itself.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:42 PM   #25

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmats View Post
The difference between pushing on an inactive pedal (without the engine running) versus an active pedal with power assist is significant, and the brake pod piston has to exert enough force to generate braking force on the inactive pedal. In some cases, this pressure has inadvertently released the driver's seat manual adjusting lever causing the seat to be pushed backwards instead of applying pressure against the brake pedal. In other cases, there was only seat foam deformation, which absorbs some of the braking force. There are workarounds to this, and of course, if you have power seats this is not an issue. The seats in my Jeep are manual, and the potential scenarios above were a concern for me.
I think the key word is POTENTIAL.
Do you have documentation of the seat latch releasing because of the pressure being pushed onto the seat?
If so I would really like to see proof that this has happened. Even if you have read about this could you supply a link to the info?
Old 02-04-2016, 01:53 PM   #26

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarwiebe View Post
The RVI 2 Brake in my 2007 Liberty does not push up against any part of the seat. The attached link is to a web picture that is just like how it sits in my toad. https://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...CZ8QMwgfKAMwAw
I like this system nice and compact. I was wondering what it would cost me?
I have checked the price of an EvenBrake and it is well over $2500 dollars with shipping to Canada.
Before I decide I might look at a permanent installation rather than a removable one.I would still like to know cost even ballpark would be OK.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:08 PM   #27

Before you pay $2500 for an even brake or any other braking system, check eBay. As I posted earlier, I found a used predecessor to the even brake for around $210 US plus shipping. There is a used even brake for about $500. May have to buy some parts, but still a lot better than $2500.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:43 PM   #28

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Before you pay $2500 for an even brake or any other braking system, check eBay. As I posted earlier, I found a used predecessor to the even brake for around $210 US plus shipping. There is a used even brake for about $500. May have to buy some parts, but still a lot better than $2500.
Your right $2500 does not sound reasonable to me.
I'm on the case!

Tags
brake