Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2015, 08:37 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallacerm View Post
I agree with #26. In most situations the supplemental toad braking system is unnoticeable. I want it there for that one in a thousand emergency stop where every bit of deceleration is priceless.
Apparently simply driving slowly and carefully and paying attention is not an alternative?
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2015, 09:47 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Apparently simply driving slowly and carefully and paying attention is not an alternative?
Mel
'96 Safari
That's my take on it. So yes, it's not a substitute or altenlrnative and to suggest that those with supplemental brakes don't drive responsibly (driving slow and paying attention) is kind of silly. If they aren't required in your state and you don't want them - don't get them. But just because they aren't required, doesn't make not having them as safe or safer than having them. And I have never heard anyone say, I'm sure glad I have supplemental brakes so I can drive faster and not pay attention.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:02 AM   #31

Quote:
Mel
'96 Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
That's my take on it. So yes, it's not a substitute or altenlrnative and to suggest that those with supplemental brakes don't drive responsibly (driving slow and paying attention) is kind of silly. If they aren't required in your state and you don't want them - don't get them. But just because they aren't required, doesn't make not having them as safe or safer than having them. And I have never heard anyone say, I'm sure glad I have supplemental brakes so I can drive faster and not pay attention.
flaggship1
Thanks.
BTW, me thinks you misunderstood what I said?
I didn't mean to suggested anything.
Sorry
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:16 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
flaggship1
Thanks.
BTW, me thinks you misunderstood what I said?
I didn't mean to suggested anything.
Sorry
Mel
I wasn't sure if that was hinted at or not. The finer point to many of us is - all things equal - having toad brakes is a stopping advantage worth the price of admission whether required or not. My CRV is pretty light compared to many toads. I could probably manage it, but not interested in trying. Like the million dollar umbrella. I don't have to have it but I do.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:34 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdawg View Post
Have a Coachmen Concord 300. Was flat towing a Chev Cobalt (3000 lb). Just bought a 04 Jeep Liberty (4000 lb). I could tell each car was back there, but no real issues, including braking without aux. brakes. Am I whistling past the cemetery, or am I okay without extra brakes? Secondly, have heard rumors that some states will cite you for not having aux. brakes if you're in an accident, even if not your fault and insurance companies may throw some fault on you also.

I appreciate any input.
Billdawg,
I'm not going to condemn you straight to hell, sue you, or cut your jewelry out like some are so fast to do here. But you jumped into this one both feet first my friend.

What I'd like to ask is, irrelevant to what the state laws say, or us responding in pros or cons, what does your gut tell you after you've had a close call with decreased stopping distance.

I've pulled my 4k estimated weight trailer unknowingly without brakes for quite some time and not had problems.

But then I found and fixed the issue, and was so glad I did after noting how much more stopping power I had.

The comfort factor is number one, safety is part of that as if you are not comfortable with your ability to stop in a certain distance, are you comfortable with your rig?

You really Stuck a sensitive body part in the wringer when you posed this issue on the forum, and exposed yourself to this lion's den.

Just saying
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:04 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
It's hard to believe that this is still a topic after all the available and valuable information on this subject. My opinion is that those that fail to install and use auxiliary brakes do so simply because they're too cheap to spend the $1,000 or so to pay for them. And worse, they then brag about it. Everyone knows it's unsafe to not have the extra braking power and a break-away in an emergency situation.

And sure you can play the ridiculous "what if game" but you're potentially playing it with someone else's life. Man up and buy the brake system.
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:29 PM   #35

Auxiliary brake systems and the law

Quote:
Mel
'96 Safari

IMHO, no.
I selected an available safety product, a child is not dead, my conscience is clear, and my sanity will thank me for the rest of my life.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:07 PM   #36

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I guess one could also argue that leaving a vehicle dead stopped in the middle of the freeway at night, waiting to be slammed into by an aproaching vehicle, would'nt be very safe either.
Do the tail / brake lights even stay on when the light cable gets severed .
Old 06-26-2015, 04:13 PM   #37

With that argument, would you rather watch it, roll away, head on into oncoming traffic.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:17 PM   #38

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Also a chance it would roll harmlessly into the field alongside the road !
Old 06-26-2015, 05:05 PM   #39

You have good point there.

You have to wonder how all of this breakaway stuff became law, in the first place..

Sombody must have done a study, with flawed data, to decide to require brakeaway systems on trailers, above a certain weight. Whistling.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:51 PM   #40

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Someone ask if anyone had gotten a ticket for no aux brakes... Unlike TV where Driver can see it... I have not heard of any (In that case it was one of "my" troopers that wrote the ticket.. I like learning without having to pay "Tutition" ).

But that does not mean they are not issued... One of the things I do know is this; Very few officers are going to be fully conversant with this/these laws.. Many officers accually do not know the laws they enforce.

The following is a true story... I will not name the city but it was a city police officer.. I think I was 20 or 21 at the time; Even then I enjoyed doing research and learning things.. The library had a copy of the Vehicle code.. I had looked up some bicycle laws.

Well I mentioned these laws to the officer while we waited for a tow truck for my Girl's car which would not start.. So he grabbed his book and looked 'em up... In passing (one of the things I like about books is "in Passing") he came accross the law regarding U-Turns (Permitted in most cases) He stated to me "Gee I thought I was getting away with it because I was the only cop around".

Yes one of the most corrupt departments in the state.. But still. Goes to show how well many officers are trained.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:08 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon190 View Post
It's hard to believe that this is still a topic after all the available and valuable information on this subject. My opinion is that those that fail to install and use auxiliary brakes do so simply because they're too cheap to spend the $1,000 or so to pay for them. And worse, they then brag about it. Everyone knows it's unsafe to not have the extra braking power and a break-away in an emergency situation.

And sure you can play the ridiculous "what if game" but you're potentially playing it with someone else's life. Man up and buy the brake system.
Ummm, I was talking to a local RV service center owner a couple of days ago about the cost of installing a system. He stated the cost would be $3000.00 + or -. Not saying the money shouldn't be spent, just that it may cost more than you seem to think.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:23 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
Ummm, I was talking to a local RV service center owner a couple of days ago about the cost of installing a system. He stated the cost would be $3000.00 + or -. Not saying the money shouldn't be spent, just that it may cost more than you seem to think.
Find another RV service center.

Tags
brake